forum

Enable support for jpgs as spinner-background [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Matma Rex
Sometimes you have background based on a photograph, saving it as jpg instead of png may reduce size 5 times (or more if you use bigger compression).
qlum
That would only save about 400Kb per skin so I don't think that is really useful if all skins used it. It would only save about 50MB in a 20Gb my osu! folder.
NotShinta
Spinner backgrounds should be behind something round and spinning. It shouldn't be a photograph, even though many anime maps use nearly transparent spinners and something like that behind.

So no.
Topic Starter
Matma Rex

qlum wrote:

That would only save about 400Kb per skin so I don't think that is really useful if all skins used it. It would only save about 50MB in a 20Gb my osu! folder.
More like 1 megabyte per map. At least that was result for me, 1.25 MB -> 200 kB (with almost 100% jpg quality). And it's not about disk space, but about download size - there are people with slower Internet connection.

IAmNotShinta wrote:

Spinner backgrounds should be behind something round and spinning. It shouldn't be a photograph, even though many anime maps use nearly transparent spinners and something like that behind.
Uh, nothing personal, but it occurs to me you dont know what you're talking about. Get, for example, this map: Video Feat. Ania Wyszkoni - Soft, examine its spinner and them come back, please. Also, why not photographs/drawings? I liked, for example, spinner in Hatsune Miku - Flowers in Your Song For Me (even if it's not my fav genre of music).
NotShinta
Hey, the one in Soft is pretty nice. It's the only occurance I've seen where it uses it like that though.

Matma Rex wrote:

Also, why not photographs/drawings? I liked, for example, spinner in Hatsune Miku - Flowers in Your Song For Me (even if it's not my fav genre of music).
I don't mind photoshops or drawings should it be used like in Soft more often, but just having the spinner mostly transparent with a generic image, well I suppose the one in that map sorta makes sense, is just uncreative and not like a spinner if there's nothing to spin... I'm confusing myself now.

Whatever, I'm not sure but I think it might cause a technical problem. You can just save it as a .png anyway.
RandomJibberish
Although a part of me agrees with IAmNotShinta in that a number of maps have very uncreative spinners, I don't think those maps should be denied jpeg compression.
Support.
NotShinta
Jjibber's right, it is up to the skinners or mappers to be creative, and that arguments useless. I'm not against this really thinking about it, but what happens if there's a spinner-background.png and a spinner-background.jpg? Just curious.
anonymous_old

IAmNotShinta wrote:

what happens if there's a spinner-background.png and a spinner-background.jpg? Just curious.
UB. Should be fixed at the modding stage.
Topic Starter
Matma Rex

IAmNotShinta wrote:

Jjibber's right, it is up to the skinners or mappers to be creative, and that arguments useless. I'm not against this really thinking about it, but what happens if there's a spinner-background.png and a spinner-background.jpg? Just curious.
Probably osu! arbitrarily uses one of them (like when both mp3 and wav hitsouns are present).
Jeffro
Support. We should have overall jpeg support. Wouldn't be that hard to implement anyway.
Dragvon
The following text was took from the site:Webopedia

SPOILER
JPEG/JPG
Short for Joint Photographic Experts Group, the original name of the committee that wrote the standard. JPG is one of the image file formats supported on the Web. JPG is a lossy compression technique that is designed to compress color and grayscale continuous-tone images. The information that is discarded in the compression is information that the human eye cannot detect. JPG images support 16 million colors and are best suited for photographs and complex graphics. The user typically has to compromise on either the quality of the image or the size of the file. JPG does not work well on line drawings, lettering or simple graphics because there is not a lot of the image that can be thrown out in the lossy process, so the image loses clarity and sharpness.

GIF
Short for Graphics Interchange Format, another of the graphics formats supported by the Web. Unlike JPG, the GIF format is a lossless compression technique and it supports only 256 colors. GIF is better than JPG for images with only a few distinct colors, such as line drawings, black and white images and small text that is only a few pixels high. With an animation editor, GIF images can be put together for animated images. GIF also supports transparency, where the background color can be set to transparent in order to let the color on the underlying Web page to show through. The compression algorithm used in the GIF format is owned by Unisys, and companies that use the algorithm are supposed to license the use from Unisys.*

PNG
Short for Portable Network Graphics, the third graphics standard supported by the Web (though not supported by all browsers). PNG was developed as a patent-free answer to the GIF format but is also an improvement on the GIF technique. An image in a lossless PNG file can be 5%-25% more compressed than a GIF file of the same image. PNG builds on the idea of transparency in GIF images and allows the control of the degree of transparency, known as opacity. Saving, restoring and re-saving a PNG image will not degrade its quality. PNG does not support animation like GIF does.

My comment: Well, JPG's are not able to support a transparent canvas PNG does~
An64fan

Dragvon wrote:

My comment: Well, JPG's are not able to support a transparent canvas PNG does~
This is what I was thinking when I saw the "overall jpeg support" comment. osu! would look horrendous in jpeg. The only thing that I think should ever be allowed in .jpeg are backgrounds and avatars (edit: and yeah, spinner bgs). I can't think of anything else at all that would be able to handle jpg well.

That said, I would not want to see a jpeg on a game-wide skin, EVER. I could support this on a map-to-map basis, but for skins intended beyond that, I personally think that quality should rise as the greater immediate concern over size.
anonymous_old
You guys are missing the part about spinner backgrounds being solid images anyway. IIRC any transparency is turned into blackness.
Topic Starter
Matma Rex

An64fan wrote:

That said, I would not want to see a jpeg on a game-wide skin, EVER. I could support this on a map-to-map basis, but for skins intended beyond that, I personally think that quality should rise as the greater immediate concern over size.
There used to be a wall of text here about jpg's 100 quality levels, but I decided to shut up and remind you that's not what this topic is about. Also, you don't know shit about image compression formats, stop talking about them, please.
Azure_Kite
From what I'm reading, people are assuming that the background of a spinner requires transparency, which in most cases, it doesn't.

I honestly don't see what the big fuss over this is, because I think it'd reduce map file size and, let's face it, how many people are going to play a map so often that it causes any noticeable changes? If this is intended for map skins, which I'm assuming it is, I support this 'cause it would give mappers a little more room for the other lovely things like SB's.

As for complete skins, it would probably be better as a PNG, but meh.

+1
peppy
(+) Added jpg support for beatmap-level skinning of pause-overlay and spinner-background.