forum

Rate the Mapping Technique - Round 31: Back&Forth Beat Sets

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love them!
29.15%
31.66%
23.62%
10.55%
1 - Hate them!
5.03%
Total votes: 199
Topic Starter
m980
Round 31: Back and Forth Beat Sets

Nominated by Beuchi-chan. A set of Back and Forth Beats, all having one note in the same place, stacked on top of each other. The player must click one of the stacked beats, then go out to click another beat, then back to clicking a stacked beat, and so on and so forth.

Map(s) that use this technique
BRANDY - The Festival of Ghost 2 by darrihuka
Haru - Voyage 1969 (Instrumental) by Nexy
Jun Ishikawa - Marx Battle! [m980's Hard] by Zerostarry (difficulty mapped by m980

~Mapping Technique Nominations~
RandomJibberish
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
MegaManEXE
3'd because they remind me a little too much of that box mapping that I hate so much

And at higher speeds + spacing they're really hard to play

But they look pretty cool I guess
anonymous_old
AMAZING example: Wiklund - Billy Boogie [16 bits?!]

That's the only reason I'm giving this a 5.

A decent example is Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow - Castle Corridor [KIRBY Mix].
Dangaard
Hard to read on faster BPMs and the center is suffering from stack leniency, which is making it even more confusing and kinda ugly in game mode (despite it's appearance in editor)
Topic Starter
m980

MegaManEXE wrote:

3'd because they remind me a little too much of that box mapping that I hate so much

They don't have to necessarily be 90 degree angles. The example I posted was just that, an example. Read the description more. It doesn't say anything about 90 degree angles >.>
MegaManEXE

m980 wrote:

MegaManEXE wrote:

They don't have to necessarily be 90 degree angles. The example I posted was just that, an example. Read the description more. It doesn't say anything about 90 degree angles >.>
No I know, it's just that a vast majority of the time, they're used in that cross-shaped formation like the example in the OP
Real1
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
CheeseWarlock
This gets a 3 for being a cool concept, but seriously, some of the worst technically-correct mapping I've ever seen was when people threw these in where they didn't belong.
An64fan
I very much enjoy them as long as they're not extensive. I personally wouldn't go for more than a few beats doing this, though.
mm201
FFFanatic style in-out beats are cool, but so often these don't fit and are confusing. I'll have to 3.
FurukawaPan
I went with 4

Cross Time used this at the start very effectively. However, there is potential to use these just to confuse or tire the player. But for the most part, these are almost always fun.
nomedeusuarionaodisp
I don't recall having played a map with these, but according to the description and screenshot... I believe I dislike them. Having to go back to the center and change directions feels like it's breaking the momentum of the map in my opinion; they could suck if they're way too fast and suck even more if they're way too slow.

...Even so, I liked their execution in Billy Boogie.
Niva
If the spacing is too far, this technique won't be fun. 4
yeahyeahyeahhh
Love em! As one could reference from my billy boogie map :) sometimes I think they're done poorly, but for the most part they're done nicely even if they take a retry or two to get
YGOkid8
When used correctly, they are awesome~

5☆

also, maybe add to this map to "Map(s) that use this technique"?
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/8033

since the [Lunatic] diff imo used this very well.
Colin Hou
4 for me.

this set is easy to click XD
Sallad4ever
5 star

I actually love this pattern if its on faster map
love their flow :)
Arusha Shuna
3's
im suck at THIS kind of mapping :(
Snowball
4*

most of the time i ragequit, but nevertheless i like them :?
the ones with large spacing are quite easy,
but those with small spacing are always giving me random misses, especially those on Love Shine
show more