forum

Jumps at Easier Difficulties.. Yay or Nay?

posted
Total Posts

Deal or no Deal?

Yay!
60.29%
Nay!
26.47%
What is a jump?
13.24%
Total votes: 68
Topic Starter
James
Topic. I think this was posted before.
But now I just want to ask people for this, maybe some changed their mind already..

Easier difficulties... Easy and Normal

Jumps... Either 1 beat or a half-beat one.

Discuss.
Kytoxid
If they're not too big, it's not a big deal. Introduces players to the idea that musical sense should still be taken over strict spacing. Just don't make them do jumps at the Hard/Insane level, and not like, a jump every note.
0_o
I don't think strict spacing is as big of an issue for newbies as some people think it is. I remember playing maps when I first started that I didn't even realize had inconsistent spacing until I look back on them now. So long as the jumps aren't TOO difficult and they make sense with the music, I don't see any problem with it.
GladiOol
A jump ok, but a JUMP no!
And I see a jump more like a JUMP so I voted nay o.o
Nachy
Giving a bit more excitement and challenge for easier difficulties seems like a good thing in my humble opinion, nothing too drastic like rapid jumps or super 2x jumps etc. mild jumps or one big jump before a break or ending of a song seems fine and stuff. The crazy intense jumps should still stay in the hard or insane difficulties. Just gotta love jumps.
NoHitter
Not too much though
Doomsday
I guess that people who play Easies don't usually read the spacing, (being beginners and all most likely) but I still think that Easies should have consistent spacing thoughout. To me, Easies are for osu! beginners, So I don't try to add difficulty. I'm more lenient about jumps in Normal difficulties though, so long as they are not major.
aRiskOfRain
Shouldn't this be in mapping techniques?

Anyway, for the reasons of symmetry or pattern, I don't mind so much.
Lesjuh
1/1 jumps, Yay. 1/2 jumps, Nay
bmin11
I tested on my friends (which are noobs) and I told them about the spacing, but they don't seems to care at all :?
Spacing could not be a major issue for Easy/Normal I guess
Topic Starter
James
I voted for #3!

Back to topic.
Mashley
Almost everything in a map depends on the circumstances and how it fits. Judge it on a per-map basis and not on overall.
nomedeusuarionaodisp
Yaym but only if it's well-thought, if it fits the song and if it fits that part of the song. In other words,

Agent Spin Here wrote:

Almost everything in a map depends on the circumstances and how it fits. Judge it on a per-map basis and not on overall.
anonymous_old

Agent Spin Here wrote:

^

I love jumps, but I hate poorly placed jumps regardless of ANYTHING.

If it works, good. If not, bad. Black/white for me.
FurukawaPan
I would say, if it was an [Easy] jump, then yay! But different people find different things easy, so who knows.
Lybydose
Jumps? What are those?

Probably should stick to 1 beat (or higher) for normal jumps. I always found the biggest problem at normal/easy was clicking too early because of horrible anti-jump spacing and low overall difficulty.

The problem with a lot of easy/normal difficulties is that they are often UNDERmapped, so the player is tempted to click everything early (because he knows the song well enough that he thinks there SHOULD be a circle at some spot to sync to the vocals or whatever, BUT THERE ISN'T). Small jumps are sometimes more intuitive because the player doesn't click everything early.
CheeseWarlock
Jumps are fine in an Easy map as long as they're not "making the map harder" jumps that you kids are doing in harder maps these days. New players can understand musical sense.
ouranhshc
Depends on if the make senses with the song and the map. So yay for jumps in easier difficulties.
Mogsy

CheeseWarlock wrote:

Jumps are fine in an Easy map as long as they're not "making the map harder" jumps that you kids are doing in harder maps these days. New players can understand musical sense.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
anonymous_old

Lybydose wrote:

The problem with a lot of easy/normal difficulties is that they are often UNDERmapped, so the player is tempted to click everything early (because he knows the song well enough that he thinks there SHOULD be a circle at some spot to sync to the vocals or whatever, BUT THERE ISN'T). Small jumps are sometimes more intuitive because the player doesn't click everything early.
That's why people should start with [Insane] difficulties. =]
show more