forum

Okay, so my computer died...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
An64fan
It has amazing timing, too.

This means that EVERYTHING is officially gone, though. The only stuff that I'll be recovering will be my mini-database of rp and character profile info, and only after a lot of scouring.
It's quite unfortunate. At least I haven't been working on anything too important lately, although a good handful is an unfortunate loss.

Just so the odd person doesn't freak out, everything that is anything as far as osu! goes is still on my flash drive. ;)
anonymous_old
Backups.
nardii
I still don't get why people ever reformat their hard drives without just using some linux livecd or whatever to back up their data first. The only reason you should ever lose data is when your actual hard drive stops working but I've seen a LOT of people with stuff like "My PC won't boot so I had to reformat and lost everything :(". Seriously, either use multiple fucking partitions OR create another fucking partition and move all you shit over there if you have to reinstall your OS. Fuck.
Loginer
Or, you could use backups.
nardii

Loginer wrote:

Or, you could use backups.
It's just that way too many people don't use backups and then think there's no hope of recovery once their PC doesn't boot up anymore.
Ph0X
What nardi1011 said, because even if you take backups every week (unless you have shit that does it every fucking minute), you will still have some files that you would want to recover maybe.

And even after the format, since windows fast installation only does a quickformat (deletes MFT), most of the files will still be there and recoverable.
anonymous_old

Ph0X wrote:

What nardi1011 said, because even if you take backups every week (unless you have shit that does it every fucking minute), you will still have some files that you would want to recover maybe.

And even after the format, since windows fast installation only does a quickformat (deletes MFT), most of the files will still be there and recoverable.
Smart people back up as often as they feel they will accept a loss of -- That sentence is horrible.

My F: partition, which contains my school work, programming projects, Photochop images, etc. (basically "My Documents") is backed up every 12 hours. If my data is lost, I'm willing to make up 12 hours of work. I should probably increase the frequency, but I feel this is appropriate for now.

osu! backs up every day. Don't wanna lose all my shitty WIP's~

Off-side backups occur every other day. Sadly, my internet sucks, and I can't afford much more. Only my work backup (F:) is put off-side, because the osu! backup is just too large to be practically sent over my puny tubes.

My system drive (C:) is backed up fully, bit-for-bit, once per week. For some reason, the backup routine started doing weird things with the filenames. I'm at SystemBackup2(2)(2)(2)(2)(2)(2)(2).tib now.

By the way, my backups are to a 1.5TB internal WD Green. It was cheap, big, and all that jazz. On the backup drive I also have two emergency OS's (one Linux installation, one Windows 7 installer) Just In Case (tm).

ITT Post your backup schemes.
Hanyuu
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Neo@lex

strager wrote:

ITT Post your backup schemes.
Games go on one HDD.
Anime goes on the other.
School work stays on a server at school.
Everything else goes on an internal HDD, and I upload most of my important stuff to MF.

If gaymen HDD fucks up, I only need to redownload everything from Steam/DoujinStyle.
If animu HDD fucks up, I can redownload the ones I like.
I have another PC, a Wii and a 360 to keep me busy whilst shit downloads.

Server at school is backed up every day.
If I lose Windows, I can contact Microsoft.

I win.
awp
I keep important shit on either my server or my USB flash drive(s). I somewhat rarely burn/backup other data, usually TV shows. Most of my important files are like <100MB, usually <5MB each, so it's not bad.
Metroid
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Ph0X
Needs more raid1 or raid5
Topic Starter
An64fan

Hanyuu wrote:

how did it die
Sucked itself to death.

Seriously though, there wasn't really anything too important that I was actively working on that was lost. The worst of it was rp/profile database (which as I said, most of which I can get back or otherwise am willing to rewrite), artwork (specifically, the unposted photography from May, which is an unfortunate lost, most of everything else that's worth anything is already on dA), and software (I've already reinstalled FF, my tablet, 7-Zip, downloaded my Nintendo WFC drivers again, and will be able to reinstall GIMP and PSP soon enough anyways).
The only thing causing any real problems is the loss of my EV data, but even that I have a copy of on my flash drive. I'll just need to backtrack and update them again from my notes, which will be a bit tricky but no real problem.
Plus some websites which I need to track down again, but most of them I'm familiar with enough to get to them without too much trouble.
Bit of game data and stuff too, but I didn't play much anyways.

My computer needed to die anyways. It had way too much crap.

Right now, a fire would hurt me much more than a computer crash. At least 2/3rds of my serious work is on very flame-vulnerable paper, plus there's my games and stuff. I'd be defending the place or evacuating all my stuff, which actually would be a bit easier thanks to having a bin in my closet. :P
Loginer
Ph0X

Loginer wrote:

Ph0X wrote:

RAID is useless once the shit actually hits the fan.
RAID0 is, but RAID1 and RAID5 both have redundant arrays and if one drive crashes, you will still be able to recover all your files. If both fail at exactly the same time, then you're just unlucky.
anonymous_old

Ph0X wrote:

RAID IS NOT A BACKUP SOLUTION.
Ph0X
Pft, it's better because it's like instant backup of everything on that array.
Guy-kun
I just hope my computer won't die, and when it does, I reinstall windows and get on with life from scratch again...
Important anime is kept on my external HDD, when that dies I get upset and get a new one to start gathering again :c
Loginer

Ph0X wrote:

Loginer wrote:

RAID is useless once the shit actually hits the fan.
RAID0 is, but RAID1 and RAID5 both have redundant arrays and if one drive crashes, you will still be able to recover all your files. If both fail at exactly the same time, then you're just unlucky.
And what if your files are corrupted/overwritten by a bug or malware? How would RAID help you recover your files if they get infected? Or how about accidentally deleting an important file? What if the computer is physically destroyed in a fire?

RAID provides a layer of protection against drive malfunctioning, but it's not a backup solution, period.
Neo@lex

Loginer wrote:

period.
ehehe
show more