forum

The user name origin thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sinistro
Since there's already an avatar thread, and user names are far less subject to change than avatars, I thought I'd start this.

How did you choose your user name in osu!? Is it a new handle, or have you been using it for some time? Do you use it elsewhere on the Internet too, or are you a man (or woman) of many names?

My user name comes from Harry Potter. The teacher of Astronomy on Hogwarts is called Professor Sinistra. Ten years ago, when I read the name in Chamber of Secrets, I liked its sound (I didn't know it was actually a real word, Italian for "left"), and I was into Astronomy at the time, so I started going by "Sinistra" online.

Unfortunately, Sinistra was not given a first name, anything to say, or any description at all other than the non-gender-specific title of "Professor", and when Goblet of Fire came out I found out that Sinistra was a woman. That, or he danced the two-step with men. In order to make the name sound more masculine, I changed the last vowel. I have been using it (or the variation of "profsinistro" when Sinistro itself is taken) ever since as my only alias on the Internet.

Your turn.
Saturos
Golden Sun.

Been using Saturos as my online handle since the game came out in November 2001. I'm also known to use Menardi, Agatio and Karst as my other names in games (alts mainly), though I have adopted some Gurren Lagann names occasionally.
Neo@lex
Mine was generated randomly on some shopping site, maybe ebay, maybe j-list, maybe lego.
It just stuck.
GuardianHX
My username took me alot of time to come up with. I wanted to have a name with "Guardian" in it, but since that's so unoriginal, I decided to try and come up with an abbreviation or something so that when people hear it, they know that it refers to me and not somebody else.

My full username would be, "Guardian Hellfire X" and the HX is always attached to my name without a space in between.

Hellfire stands forvarious things, such as the name of an army in a novel I read, and being able to jump into action on a moment's notice and facing hell itself.

X stands for the variable meaning, "limitless potential". Also referring to Megaman X, as X's name stands for the same thing.

Surprisingly, googling my username comes up with accounts and posts done by only me, except for two other accounts made by a couple idiots stealing my name to bug me.

Other usernames I've gone by:
noobhunter777 (GameFAQs only, and boy do I hate that account...)
GoddessHX (Don't ask. Don't freaking ask.)
Cecilthemos
Cecil is from FFIV, which is my favorite FF game (debatable now, I've played it too much I'm just kinda tired of it, but I still love the name)
Of course "Cecil" alone would be taken so I used a past username (Master of Sword) to make it original, and there it is.
I should change it to something like Cecil_MS soon, Cecilthemos is just too long for my tastes.
hunnykilla
Nakao's from a drama, Hanazakari no Kimitachi.
Slain087
This name came about when I was going to make an account on pogo. I was going for slayer, but that was taken, so I went for slain, but that was taken, so I just stuck a number on the end.

My alt is masterofjak (or some variation thereof), because at the time, I was pretty obsessed with the Jak and Daxter games.
RemixRave
I got my user name from Family Guy; I'm talking about the Kool Aid Man
1988 being the year I was born

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=11141715
awp
awp has a bit of a story to it

I used to play this simplistic PlayerWorld mmo grindfest called SoM and, after a first trial character, I made a new character named after one of the weakest enemies I could think of, "a Wild Pigeon". That's a mouthful to type so everyone just called me AWP aWP or awp. Over time it kinda stuck. This would have been maybe five years ago. Perhaps six, or seven. I can't remember; I'm old now.

Also go by (Lord) Garvar, a mashup of my first and last name, something given to me inexplicably for no reason in highschool.
Cecilthemos

awp wrote:

awp has a bit of a story to it

I used to play this simplistic PlayerWorld mmo grindfest called SoM and, after a first trial character, I made a new character named after one of the weakest enemies I could think of, "a Wild Pigeon". That's a mouthful to type so everyone just called me AWP aWP or awp. Over time it kinda stuck. This would have been maybe five years ago. Perhaps six, or seven. I can't remember; I'm old now.

Also go by (Lord) Garvar, a mashup of my first and last name, something given to me inexplicably for no reason in highschool.
Why name yourself as the WEAKEST enemy?
MusicFan
Cause nobody expects the so-called "weakest enemy" to clobber you head over heels!

Anyway, MusicFan was something I came up with when I was out of ideas for a unique name.
And it has a sense of mystery to it.

Because absolutely ANYBODY can be a music fan. :P
eyup

oyeah1988 wrote:

I got my user name from Family Guy; I'm talking about the Kool Aid Man
1988 being the year I was born
LOL Kool Aid man rocks.

My MSN name is a hybrid of the letter 'e' and the Chinese character for 'person' which sounds like "yun". Together they sound like my real name 'Ian'. One day my friend saw the name, thought the character was Chinese for 'to enter' which is the mirror image and which sounds like 'yup' and called me eyup. It's stuck since then.

It's not the only mispronunciation of my MSN nick to have happened - I've also been called e-Lambda (for obvious reasons), e-ren (Mandarin way of saying "yun") and e-roo (Mandarin way of saying "yup"). In short, no one calls me by my real name anymore XD
shinn_old
I actually call myself shinn allover the world. Example:My TR name.

The origin... *thinks*

Ah! I really enjoyed Gundam Seed Destiny when I was young, and called that's why I called myself shinn. BTW, for anyone that doesn't watch any anime, Shinn is one of the Main Characters in Gundam.
Level-Up!
*Insert Final Fantasy victory music*
...Really, I just like RPGs.

I also go by Seshoho Cian, but the story behind that is quite long and I doubt anyone here would like to hear it.
James
My name isn't James, duh?!
chan
Surname => username. Of course, there are like 1 billion chans out there, but meh, grants me a bit anononimimity
Loginer

awp wrote:

Garvar = Lauging in Swedish. :3

So I was going to make an account on RaymanZone sometime last Thursday. When suddenly, ninjas! THOUSANDS OF THEM!! But that was in another universe. Anyway, I saw a login-button. Made Loginer, and then made myself a kinda awesome avatar in Paint. Lulz ensued. Then I discovered the name was actually kinda unusual, so I claimed it as my own. :3
Also, I couldn't use my real name, Adam, because it was taken, and almost always by a spammer. >_>
awp

Loginer wrote:

Garvar = Lauging in Swedish. :3
Fucking awesome.
Mr. Am/Pm
Mr. - from Mr. Game and Watch (while playing SSBM :3)
Am - first two letters form my old nickname
/
Pm - from 12 hour system

i'm lul
MegaTailzChao
like a billion years ago when I was just learning what sprites are I placed Megaman's helmet onto some sprite of a Tails Chao I found. A couple months after I played my first MMO, and needed a name, and this is the first thing that came to me.

And from that day forward, I've been too lazy to change it to something that doesn't suck.
show more