forum

Beat detection in Beatmap Editor [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
death_au
I've noticed that in the game the Osu! logo seems to pulse with the beat, and it's beat detection is pretty darn good. I was wondering how easy and useful it might be to add a button to the beatmap editor that uses the same or a similar method of beat detection to suggest BPM and offset and possibly even timing sections (if BPM is radically different)
Of course, nothing is perfect and you'd most likely still have to edit the timing manually, but it would still give you a nice starting point, I think.

By the way, good job on what you already have! I've become addicted rather quickly :P
Sinistro
Welcome to the forums! :)
Although I can't be 100% sure, I have a strong suspicion that it actually works the other way around: the button doesn't detect the bpm; rather, it pulses according to the bpm value of each beatmap, which has been calculated and inputted by the beatmapper in the usual way. You can test it by making a beatmap with obviously wrong bpm and then watch the way the button pulses at the intro screen. I'd do it, but I won't be home for another six hours or so.
awp
Sinistro's right; the logo pulses to the current beatmap's bpm. You can tell because in some maps the BPM will spike briefly so the beatmapper can make a slider go faster, and this is reflected in the pulsating osu! (examples: Sweet Darlin', Shotgun Symphony harder difficulties come to mind).
Topic Starter
death_au
Ah. I see... Why didn't I think of that? I still think beat detection would be cool, but I know it's quite complicated, so never mind then.
peppy
I have already implemented beat detection based on the sound library osu! is using, but the results weren't too satisfactory so haven't made the feature publicly accessible.