forum

WEB - Listening Room (Music Player)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
awp
Just out of curiosity, how unreasonable - be it from a coding aspect or a bandwidth aspect, or even a legal aspect, would it be to implement a "Listening Room" on the web where you can type in the name or ID of a beatmap, and listen to the beatmap's song in an embedded streaming music player?

Right now I've got a hankerin' for some Star Wolf =c
Saturos
I doubt this could be done from a legal standpoint. Only reason sites like this, bemanistyle, etc can get away with direct downloads of music is because they're packaged and offered as part of a game, not stand alone music. Atleast that's what I've understood from it.

Just download it and yoink the mp3, imo.
Topic Starter
awp
Ah it'd be fun to have a radio though ;(

I don't even know if my UNIX box (at work) has a standalone music player
peppy
I guess this is just the same as how cool it'd be to offer in-game downloads. But people have said that is a no-no and I'm willing to agree. I don't see how this would be any different. From a coding perspective, its something I'd love to look at, but let's try and avoid legal issues for the time being.
EiJi
Whether it be streaming or in-game, all it takes is a recorder, and hell, it's built into Windows, to record the songs, hence essentially downloading the song itself.

From a legal standpoint, I'd say it's a big no-no.

There will be a day when Peppy will run into problems with the current way things work, but doing the above would only shorten that time.
Topic Starter
awp

EiJi wrote:

Whether it be streaming or in-game, all it takes is a recorder, and hell, it's built into Windows, to record the songs, hence essentially downloading the song itself.
I don't quite see the logic in this, here =\ It sounds a bit redundant to say "you can use a recorder tool to record in-game music" when you've got the mp3 right in front of you.

From a legal standpoint, it's not really any less legal than the way things are now, it's just...shall we say, faster to prove.

Of course if I or someone else had the time they could just set up a "college radio station" separate from osu! that just happens to have a lot of osu.ppy.sh's tracks in it.

Bugger me; I'm too lazy.
Saturos
There's a big difference between streaming and how it's set up currently.

The way we have it now is technically legal. Because the mp3 is packaged with the .osu files to allow it to function in osu!, it's really no different than downloading any other free game that has background music. The .osz was downloaded for the purpose of playing the game, and just happens to have music as part of that to make it function.

With that said, having a streaming player is obviously illegal, as it's not part of any game. You're listening to music for free.

And yes, peppy will have legal issues later. But it's perfectly legal in a roundabout way, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal to handle. The only thing that I can think of happening from this is a disclaimer of sorts for when people upload their beatmaps to verify that the mp3 was obtained legally (haha).

I should see if I can get any info from bemanistyle about this, since I know they have run into legal issues a couple times before.
Topic Starter
awp
Ah, that'd be good, because right now I'm still not seeing the difference between streaming music a la IP radio (in the vein of last.fm, so to speak) and downloading an mp3, compressed with a different extension or not. With regards to the latter point about verifying legal rights to music, well that isn't really a problem for osu!. None of the stuff being submitted is "officially" tied to osu!, and the process of associating legitimate music with osu! could be done manually by a panel of moderators or something. But that's beyond the point.

Another loop-hole workaround would be for us to create an osu! group on last.fm, get a bunch of osu! players to scrobble their favourite osu! tracks, and let last.fm generate an osu! radio itself

loopholes, loopholes, yum yum yum
peppy

Saturos wrote:

I should see if I can get any info from bemanistyle about this, since I know they have run into legal issues a couple times before.
interested
Cecilthemos

awp wrote:

Ah, that'd be good, because right now I'm still not seeing the difference between streaming music a la IP radio (in the vein of last.fm, so to speak) and downloading an mp3, compressed with a different extension or not. With regards to the latter point about verifying legal rights to music, well that isn't really a problem for osu!. None of the stuff being submitted is "officially" tied to osu!, and the process of associating legitimate music with osu! could be done manually by a panel of moderators or something. But that's beyond the point.

Another loop-hole workaround would be for us to create an osu! group on last.fm, get a bunch of osu! players to scrobble their favourite osu! tracks, and let last.fm generate an osu! radio itself

loopholes, loopholes, yum yum yum
last.fm account with an osu playlist sounds like the most legal way to do it.