forum

MOD feature suggestions (colour/number MOD)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Fraeon
It'd be all fine and well till I'm at some point required to press the "11" key on my keyboard.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

Fraeon wrote:

It'd be all fine and well till I'm at some point required to press the "11" key on my keyboard.
There wouldn't be any circles with number 11 because Osu! would generate the numbers at random from 1-9 and 0. In normal mode the circles are numbered sequentially for each colour, but for the number MOD the sequential numbers would be replaced with random ones within the range of 1-9 and 0.

I've created an animation to give you an idea on what the circles in the number MOD could look like if my idea is implemented. Movie below:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8829/pic0001op4.gif

As you can see the timing circle rotates slowly as is shrinks. It has the same number of segments as the number that's in the middle of the circle. This would be useful if the main number is obscured by other circles overlapping it, for example. :)
awp
Agony Insane. Farucon Pan! Insane.

(Impassable)
machol30
Hmm... it sounds nice... but what should the multiplier be?
I think it should range from1.08% to 1.16% for each.

awp wrote:

Agony Insane. Farucon Pan! Insane.

(Impassable)
We'll see about that! ;P
Sinistro
That sounds like an interesting idea. Not utterly impossible to play with (not all maps are reasonably passable in DoubleTime either), and mixes things up nicely. I'm not sure if all ten number keys should be used, though. I think ten keys are too much.

There might also be an issue with what I'll for now refer to as Key Spacing: just like beats that are close on the timeline should be close on the grid, shouldn't the number keys that are mapped to them be correspondingly close together and vice versa?

An additional problem with is that people's keyboards can have different distances and placement for the number keys, the most obvious example being the straight line arrangement and the oblong (?) arrangement (you know, like on a cell phone). Will this make playing with this mod easier for some people than others just because of the way their keyboard is made?

That said, I'll repeat that this is an interesting idea.
awp
Numpad = ezmode

Laptops = lol =(

Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

Sinistro wrote:

An additional problem with is that people's keyboards can have different distances and placement for the number keys, the most obvious example being the straight line arrangement and the oblong (?) arrangement (you know, like on a cell phone). Will this make playing with this mod easier for some people than others just because of the way their keyboard is made?
Well, maybe my idea should be toned down a bit and use different keys so it will work on all keyboards. :)

Instead of using the numpad keys as I originally suggested, we could use the number keys 1-6 (not numpad), I think most peoples hands could stretch between the 1 and 6 keys, using the index and pinky fingers to alterate between 1 and 6. There wouldn't be much of an issue with finger movement or key spacing, since you would be playing with four fingers (unless you're disabled) and it would be as easy as playing notes on a piano, etc.

For the number MOD there could be 3 levels of difficulty, four, five and six key modes, with six key mode having the highest multiplier value. If however, some people are finding the 6 keys not much of a challenge, additional key difficulties could be added later on. :)
Sinistro
Yes, I was thinking of six number keys as well. That does sound like a manageable number. Four is also a good lower limit of keys (possibly three for newbies?)
awp
qwe
asd

imo
James
anybody wanna summarize this? cant understand it
LuigiHann

awp wrote:

qwe
asd

imo
Or

qwe iop
Saturos
More like:

zxc ,./

as well as 123 on the numpad
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
How about we just define our own keys in the MOD section, then you can choose how you want to play it. :)
awp
wait so you don't even touch the mouse for this mod?
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

James wrote:

anybody wanna summarize this? cant understand it

awp wrote:

wait so you don't even touch the mouse for this mod?
To simplify it for you both, the MOD will go something like this...

1) You use the mouse to move the cursor and the mouse buttons are disabled in this game mode, except for the spinners which can be used with any key and mouse button.
2) The circle/note numbers which are numbered sequentially for colour groups are replaced with random numbers in the range of 1 to 6.
3) Instead of using the mouse buttons to hit the circles, you would have to press a key on the keyboard 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6, depending on the random number thats in the circle. So if number 4 is in the circle, you would press the number 4 key on the keyboard to hit it, whilst pointing at it with the mouse cursor, etc.
4) This mode would also have modified timing circles, so you can still read the number if there is a stacking of notes and you can't read the number that's in the middle of the circle. The timing circle is divided into segments, the number of segments on the timing circle would match the number that's in the middle of the circle/note. Check out the following animated GIF to see what I mean.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8829/pic0001op4.gif

I hope this explanation helps you both. :D
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
Whilst searching for multitasking games in google I came across this flash game. The game plays almost as I described for the number MOD, except you have to hold down the numpad key and then click with the left mouse button, rather than just pressing the number key on it's own whilst pointing at the targets.

http://plabox.info/multitask-game/

After playing this flash game, I think the number MOD feature would work extremely well along with the Taiko MOD. :)
Gemi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp

adamskii_uk wrote:

After playing this flash game, I think the number MOD feature would work extremely well along with the Taiko MOD. :)
Taiko mod's not done - you know that, right?
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

awp wrote:

adamskii_uk wrote:

Taiko mod's not done - you know that, right?
Yes, I am aware of this. :)

What I'm trying to say is that the number MOD feature would work better using the same scrolling approach with the hit circles as it does with the Taiko MOD in it's current form. Since there's not much of an overlapping issue with the hit circles in the Taiko MOD like there is in normal Osu! mode, this would make the numbers in the hit circles easy to read. I do think however, it would be better if the hit circles appeared on the screen at different levels like it does on the flash game I posted above, so you have to at least move the mouse up and down to hit them, rather than just keeping the mouse pointer still and only using the keyboard to play the game.
show more