forum

They Might Be Giants - Experimental Film

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dranoel
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 at 1:53:54 PM

Artist: They Might Be Giants
Title: Experimental Film
BPM: 133.05
Filesize: 11676kb
Play Time: 02:45
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (0.63 stars, 92 notes)
  2. Normal (2.39 stars, 163 notes)
  3. Hard (3.91 stars, 240 notes)
Download: They Might Be Giants - Experimental Film
Download: They Might Be Giants - Experimental Film (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
The They Might Be Giants song from homestarrunner.com! Experimental Film.
You better know what a Homestar Runner is, and to a lesser extent, They Might Be Giants

EDIT HISTORY:
* Corrected the artist name. Tweaked [Normal].
* CORRECTLY UPLOADED YAY!
* Corrected tick rate problems (I hope), resolved timing issues.
* Added some graphics on hitcircles, spinner, and comboburst
* Retimed for (hopefully) the better.
* Shifted the star 1/2 beat earlier and lengthened it by 1/2 a beat.
* Removed a spinner in [hard]
Agent BA8 Rookbie
This is my favourite beatmap.
But, on Normal, when you do the first spinner, it gives you all the signs of a break, but everything (Combo, Health gauge etc.) Still shows. Doesn't affect much, just a little thing.
Great map, and I hope you make even more great ones.
11/10
(Plus, you get extra points cause I love this song.)
Topic Starter
Dranoel

Agent BA8 Rookbie wrote:

This is my favourite beatmap.
But, on Normal, when you do the first spinner, it gives you all the signs of a break, but everything (Combo, Health gauge etc.) Still shows. Doesn't affect much, just a little thing.
Great map, and I hope you make even more great ones.
11/10
(Plus, you get extra points cause I love this song.)
Thanks! I hoped others thought it is a good map. Yay!
I don't know why that glitch happens, but, like you said, it doesn't affect game play.
chan
Wow, nice beatmap Dranoel! A few things need to be fixed:

[normal]
00:29:80 (0) - end at 00:30:92
00:31:38- get rid of the break around here and re-insert it again
Beat/distance spacing at the following combo starting from 01:17:60 (1) until 01:22:56 (10)
Same with combo starting at 01:27:75 (1) -

[hard]
00:23:48 (2) - beat/distance spacing
00:29:80 (0) - end at 00:30:92
00:38:14 (0) - noticed this spinner doesn't start at the same time as in normal. they should start at the same times right?
01:08:35 (5,6,7,8) - spacing between 5/6 and 7/8
01:15:12 (3) - space this further from (2)
01:20:76 (7) - space closer to (6)
01:27:97 (2) - space closer to (1)
01:29:78 (5) - space closer to (4)
02:00:89 (1) - space closer to (7) of previous combo
02:04:50 (2) - space closer to (1)
02:13:29 (3) - space closer to 2
02:27:95 (4) - space closer to 3
02:29:08 (5) - space further from 4
02:31:11 (10) - space closer to 9
02:31:56 (11) - should end at 02:32:23-
02:43:73 (2) - space closer to previous note
02:45:54 (5) - space closer to previous note

[insane]
uh, basically you gotta use more consistent beat/distance spacing. For example with the first 4 notes of the song, note 4 should be spaced a bit further away from 3 than the distance between notes 1-2-3
Topic Starter
Dranoel
Could I get this revived? I redid the entire beat map.
Topic Starter
Dranoel
I have uploaded a new map for this song.
Behon
You might want to take the slider ticks down to 2. Sure, it gets a lot of points, but it seems a bit excessive for such a low-tempo song.
Topic Starter
Dranoel

Behonkiss wrote:

You might want to take the slider ticks down to 2. Sure, it gets a lot of points, but it seems a bit excessive for such a low-tempo song.
Done. I also changed around the colors and corrected some corrupted sliders on hard mode.
Topic Starter
Dranoel
Has anyone else have a chance to play this?
CheeseWarlock
Don't you die on me~
Topic Starter
Dranoel
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
CheeseWarlock
Nothing pattern-wise to complain about. 02:15:39 (1) on Hard, and the area around it, feel a bit awkward but not unrankably so.

The timing is just a bit off. I think it plays best with two timing sections: (133.00/2,209), (132,95,132,025)

Rename the song file to "Experimental Film.mp3"; the current downloadable version doesn't work, but I managed to fix it. Hopefully renaming the song will make the next upload work. There's still no video included, and there's a background ("johns.jpg") that isn't used in any of the difficulties. Remember to add that. And with your next upload, you can move this to Pending.
Topic Starter
Dranoel
I can't upload anything! I tried to rename the song file and upload it, but then I downloaded the site version and it didn't change. So I tried changing the file it points to. That didn't change either. I can't upload the movie at all, and I cannot get rid of the "johns.jpg" file. I did both complete and full submission methods.

EDIT: maybe it's still considered graveyarded.
EDIT: that first timing section is WAY off
Topic Starter
Dranoel
I SOMEHOW FIXED IT.

EDIT: And now I did the full submission, so try that, please.
CheeseWarlock
First timing section: offset 2,117. Aside from that slight tweak, the timing's good.

Your slider tick rate is variable for some reason. Some are at 2, and some are at 3. 2 sounds a lot better, so do this to avoid a bug:

Set beat snap divisor to 1/1. Decrease tick rate to 1, then back up to 2.

Near the end of Hard, 02:44:06 (3,4) should have their startpoints moved right by 1/2, and be shortened by 1/2.

Quite good though, this deserves a star.
Cmdt_Carpenter
Maybe I'm just crazy, but at 00:02:31, it sounds like it's going slightly off-beat.

Also, I recommend that you make sure the tick rate is lower; it can make the song sound way off if your a little bit off in timing.

00:23:74 - I don't get why, but this slider also sounds like it's going off beat. Just check it for me or something.

00:45:16 - The markers here, 1-17, also sound a little off. (Also, I recommend you start a new combo when you get to markers 6-17 here)

There are more timing issues, but they don't ruin the map or make it unplayable. Otherwise, this is one of the better maps I've seen.
Topic Starter
Dranoel

CheeseWarlock wrote:

First timing section: offset 2,117. Aside from that slight tweak, the timing's good.

Your slider tick rate is variable for some reason. Some are at 2, and some are at 3. 2 sounds a lot better, so do this to avoid a bug:

Set beat snap divisor to 1/1. Decrease tick rate to 1, then back up to 2.

Near the end of Hard, 02:44:06 (3,4) should have their startpoints moved right by 1/2, and be shortened by 1/2.

Quite good though, this deserves a star.
Done, I hope.

EDIT: I think I figured out a better timing section, because the notes at the end of the song were off, still. They're better with this one.
Mogsy
Normal and Hard share the same problem: the star-shaped slider, no matter how cool it looks, keeps sounding like it comes in like, a bit late. Like, an entire tick to the right on the 1/2 divisor too late. It should end the same place you have it end, but if there was some way to make it remain part of the combo without deforming the shape but still sounding good.

Other than that, I have no complaints. Bubbled.
Topic Starter
Dranoel

Mogsworth wrote:

Normal and Hard share the same problem: the star-shaped slider, no matter how cool it looks, keeps sounding like it comes in like, a bit late. Like, an entire tick to the right on the 1/2 divisor too late. It should end the same place you have it end, but if there was some way to make it remain part of the combo without deforming the shape but still sounding good.

Other than that, I have no complaints. Bubbled.
Fixed the star.
CheeseWarlock
Do something about the spinner on Hard at 00:51:73 (1); that's all that's keeping me from ranking this. Save spinner tricks like that for Insane, I say; it's too hard compared to the rest of the relatively relaxing Hard mode. Love the custom skinning, BTW.
show more