forum

Jonathan Coulton - Code Monkey

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bitor
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 10:33:26 PM

Artist: Jonathan Coulton
Title: Code Monkey
BPM: 160
Filesize: 12982kb
Play Time: 03:00
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (0.68 stars, 114 notes)
  2. Normal (1.84 stars, 152 notes)
  3. Hard (4.42 stars, 255 notes)
Download: Jonathan Coulton - Code Monkey
Download: Jonathan Coulton - Code Monkey (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
For my first beatmap I decided to do my favorite song by Jonathan Coulton. Hope you all like it.

- Edit on May 1st -
I took into account everything Remmy had to say while updating the two difficulties.

- Edit on May 19th -
Sorry I've been away, school kept me busy. Fixed stuff awp mentioned and upped the ammount of notes on Normal by a few.

-Edit on June 9th-
I added the break where Echo mentioned. It's not very long, but it does make a big difference. I also went ahead and made a Hard mode, but it seems I may have made it too hard, since it got listed as Insane. I don't see how I could possible make a harder difficulty for this song, so unless I decide to make the "Normal" difficulty a bit harder, and there are no major bumps in my Hard mode, I'm gonna call this song done.

-Edit on June 12th-
Offset fixed to 660! Messed up sliders fixed! Plus I went through each difficulty a few times to fix any and all beatspacing issues!

-Edit on June 18th-
Well, I resnapped everything, but I think whatever this is, is going to cause troubles.
(There was an error when I tried to upload this time, but I figured out it was because of the server move.)

-Edit on June 19th-
I didn't get that error when I uploaded today, so Hard should be fixed now! I think it had something to do with the server move.

-Edit on June 25th-
At Peppy's request I uploaded one more time. Everything should be fixed now.
RemmyX25
"I Love You, Whores!!"
Best line from Code Monkeys ever.

Anyways, onto the beatmap. Good song choice, and overall not a bad beatmap, but it does need a bit of a fix-up.

The Good:
  1. Great song
  2. I'm actually ok with the timing. Especially with the chorus, it sounded perfect. I'll leave this for the real mods to judge, though.
  3. A bit creepy, but nice video.
What Needs to be Done:
Easy:
  1. Countdown: Make it normal time. It sounds waaaaaayy too rushed for double time.
  2. 00:41:00 Break the combo of this chain at (5). (11) would become (6), and you can keep it on that combo.
  3. 00:54:30 You could actually make this longer with a repeat. Try ending it around 1:00:00, but you might not have a break then.
  4. Alternatively, leave the slider as it is but cut the following break shorter, restarting around 1:00:30
  5. I like the repeating sliders around 1:09:00 and 1:12:30, but by 1:18:68 its getting repetitive.
  6. 1:23:11 A break in the middle of a combo? I mean, good location for a break, but not in the middle of a combo.
  7. 1:48:30 - 1:53:05 Too much dead space, but it doesn't seem fit for a break.
  8. 2:19:00 - 2:22:00 Distance Snap!! This also happens 2:25:80-2:28:50
  9. Awesome ending!!
Normal:
  1. Again, the countdown needs to be Normal Time.
  2. Again, cut the break shorter at 1:00:30 or make the slider longer, killing the break altogether.
  3. 1:21:08 This seems a little weird to me. Maybe its just me
  4. 1:23:30 Again, end the combo before the break!!
  5. 1:34:90 on-- These are the same sliders as Easy. Spice these up a little! Curve them to make them harder, or something like that. Be creative!
  6. Yea, the ending seems too much like easy mode with smaller hit circles and a few extra hit circles added. The dead space, sliders, etc. up to the break seem too easy for Normal mode. Change 'em up!
  7. 2:06:45 These hit circles are too... straightforward. Make it interesting by placing them on the words of the song, not the beat itself.
  8. 2:19:00 - 2:22:00, 2:25:80-2:28:50 Again, Distance Snap!!
Again, this beatmap has lots of potential. I hope I wasn't too harsh modding my first beatmap! I hope to see this ranked soon!
Topic Starter
bitor
Hmm, it didn't seem to bump when I updated the beatmap... oh well. As far as I can tell I fixed everything Remmy pointed out, along with some things I didn't like about it.
awp
Hahaha, awesome stuff.

Easy: Actually on a second take I don't find anything really bad about it.

Normal:
01:57:50 (5) - Give this a bit of space from the slider to indicate not to hit it too quickly.
02:20:29 (3,4,5) - Drag these to the right a bit to give them more space from the slider.
02:55:15 (2) - Space it out a bit more.

Good stuff, good stuff.
Topic Starter
bitor
So uh, I hate to do this, but it's been a few days since I updated the beatmap and was wondering if anyone played the updated version to check for anything? I'd like to make sure Easy and Normal are good before I move onto Hard.
Echo
You should put a break between 00:54:30 (6) and 01:03:68 (1) in both easy and normal. Other than that both maps look fine.
Topic Starter
bitor
I added the break where Echo mentioned. It's not very long, but it does make a big difference. I also went ahead and made a Hard mode, but it seems I may have made it too hard, since it got listed as Insane. I don't see how I could possible make a harder difficulty for this song, so unless I decide to make the "Normal" difficulty a bit harder, and there are no major bumps in my Hard mode, I'm gonna call this song done.
awp
This map is now officially terrific. It's not just a matter of following the "guidelines" - yeah, it's properly spaced, and properly timed, but your patterns also have exceptional flow. I'm going to see if I can con someone into getting this ranked tonight~

Hoping to see more.
Fraeon
Runk'd.
Hitoshirenu Shourai
What would possess you to think it's good to put the offset that far in? Not only is it way too far in, it's wrong too! >=(

When I tried changing your offset, because it was so late in the song, all the sliders went wonky. So, I found a new, early offset that works much better. Try setting your offset to 660 and go from there. The offset like that is spot-on, but the editor has resnapping/recalc issues.
machol30
This is awesome!! It's very addicting. I gave you a 10 out 10. :) (almost SSH rank'd Hard... )

edit: actually, this is probably the best we have so far on this site, if not one of them. ;)
Topic Starter
bitor
Thanks awp! And thank you too, buraimaster, I'm really flattered. I'll definitely doing more beatmaps in the future now! I'll probably do "Re: Your Brains" by Jonathan Coulton next, it's a song about an office worker who's now a zombie, and just wants to eat his co-workers brains, in case you've never heard it.

Hitoshirenu Shourai wrote:

What would possess you to think it's good to put the offset that far in? Not only is it way too far in, it's wrong too! >=(

When I tried changing your offset, because it was so late in the song, all the sliders went wonky. So, I found a new, early offset that works much better. Try setting your offset to 660 and go from there. The offset like that is spot-on, but the editor has resnapping/recalc issues.
Remember, this is my first beatmap so I'm not even sure how most of it works. Heck, I didn't even know I could change the beat snap divisor until I started the Hard difficulty. And it wasn't until a couple play throughs on Hard that I noticed some of the notes, even though I hit them perfectly, weren't coming up as a perfect, so this is probably my problem. It's going to be a hassle to fix this, but I do want this to be perfect so I'll mess with it tomorrow.
peppy
Unranked on request from Hitoshirenu. Offset is wrong. All scores have been deleted.
Hitoshirenu Shourai
I figured out why they went wonky-- I have my snap divisor on 1/6. >_>

Anyways, the offset at 660 would completely fix the song! Some of the sliders need to be fixed afterwards, but at that offset? Perfect timing. Once fixed up, it'll be returned to ranked status.
peppy

Hitoshirenu Shourai wrote:

I figured out why they went wonky-- I have my snap divisor on 1/6.
If you mean sliders, this is a bug with the latest public (I'll assume you were using public to mod. Its might be a good idea to use private for modding for now) when your divisor is different to the creator's. This is only noticeable in edit mode - so checking in play mode works fine.
Topic Starter
bitor
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Hitoshirenu Shourai
You forgot to resnap your notes on easy and normal, and you didn't even modify hard. Fix the offset on hard, please, and then use the RENSAP function. Timing > Resnap.
Topic Starter
bitor
Can anyone check to see if it uploaded correctly last week? All the difficulties should be timed right, and resnapped now.
peppy
Hi bitor.

Can you please do a standard submission just once more for this? The normal difficulty isn't updating properly. Once this is done this is ready to be re-ranked.

In other news: *hiring osu! code monkey*
awp
"This job fulfilling in creative way"

What a load of crap
show more