forum

Limiting the number of unranked beatmaps [waiting]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Sinistro
As the osu! community grows and/or we get users who submit all at one go a bunch of beatmaps made in a haphazard manner (to put it kindly), there is an increase in submitted beatmaps that can swamp even the most prolific of mods.

There has often been talk about limiting the number of unranked beatmaps new users (or every user) can submit, but in neither community meeting has a concrete decision been reached. Here's the relevant minute snippet from the most recent meeting:

April Meeting wrote:

Reikin suggests new users should be blocked from submitting beatmaps for their first few days in order for them to take the chance to study ranked beatmaps and get a general idea of what is acceptable and what isn't. peppy and Kharl don't consider this necessary and peppy proposes instead to follow the previously suggested idea of having an upper limit of unranked beatmaps allowed for new beatmappers (beatmaps that have since been moved to Beatmap Graveyard will not count towards the limit).
Reikin suggests a new forum for good but "Unrankable" beatmaps (due to either being extremely challenging or otherwise unconventional etc.) so that they don't count towards the limit either. He also suggests having a seperate ranking leaderboard for these beatmaps, which will not interact with the main Player Rankings. peppy seems somewhat positive towards that idea, except as far as the seperate rankings are concerned. P-Drogan suggests having a seperate forum for Nuked Beatmaps (bad beatmaps that fail to follow even the most basic of requirements), but peppy considers this too harsh.
Let's discuss this and reach a decision here. For now, I believe all users should be limited to a maximum of three nuked/unlabeled/starred beatmaps. Bubbled beatmaps and beatmaps who enter the graveyard subtract from the limit and allow the user to submit more beatmaps. However, I can see a possible issue with my suggestion about bubbled beatmaps which get downgraded to stars - will this cause the system to go crazy when it detects four beatmaps? Also, what about people who are over the limit when it's first enforced?
peppy

Sinistro wrote:

will this cause the system to go crazy when it detects four beatmaps? Also, what about people who are over the limit when it's first enforced?
No problem - they'll just have to get under the limit. Mods will be given the option to delete maps (apart from their own) and users can request their old maps to be deleted.
Duoprism
Here's an idea.

When you join for the first time, you are only allowed ONE beatmap submission. This is to prevent a massive influx of poor level beatmaps from new players. This will also motivate the player to get ONE ranked before moving to other songs as well as serving as a way to get them used to mapping.

For every ranked beatmap you have, your limit increases by one. So if you're fast at beatmapping, this limit should grow quite quickly and not be restrictive after a certain point.

Would this be feasible though? I'm not too sure myself.

Moving this to requests, seeing as it doesn't really apply to Gameplay and Rankings.
awp
I agree some sort of restriction needs to be imposed when you're new, otherwise you get people making a bunch of half-assed incompletes and leaving them to rot. In some people's cases, you get upwards of a dozen. Yech. 1 sounds a lil harsh, but perhaps 4 sounds too generous?
peppy
I'd be happy with reikin's idea - with an upper cap of 3 or 4.
RemmyX25
I like Reikin's idea as well, but I was thinking 2. Graveyard beatmaps wont count, right?
MaxwellDemon

awp wrote:

I agree some sort of restriction needs to be imposed when you're new, otherwise you get people making a bunch of half-assed incompletes and leaving them to rot. In some people's cases, you get upwards of a dozen. Yech. 1 sounds a lil harsh, but perhaps 4 sounds too generous?
Maybe it could be two. 8-)
Alieax
I like reikin's idea, get a ranked beatmap, be able to make another.

I'll go with that. :P
Topic Starter
Sinistro

Alieax wrote:

I like reikin's idea, get a ranked beatmap, be able to make another.
Reikin suggested being able to submit one more beatmap at once with each ranked beatmap you get. I like Reikin's limit of just one beatmap for new beatmappers, to motivate them to get something ranked before they go on. If they change their mind and want to try mapping something else, they can always ask for their beatmap to be deleted.

However, I also agree with peppy about keeping an upper cap no matter how many ranked beatmaps one has. Three sounds like a good number to me. Which means: new mapper - can submit one. One ranked: can submit two. Two and more ranked: can submit three. Don't forget that bubbled and Graveyarded maps lower your count and let you submit more.

Whatever the details, all new users should made well aware of this measure by means of Stickied Threads/Announcements and the like.
chan
I do remember that there was some discussion in a thread I started a few months ago. See here for further discussion. Maybe mash together these threads?
MaxwellDemon
I think only Graveyard beatmaps should be uncounted for. Bubbled beatmaps are a bit complicated to imply. After all, most bubbled beatmaps are usually ranked shortly as long as no complications follow. XD