forum

An idea to get dancing cheerleaders to work. [Dupe] [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
GuardianHX
Of course, it'd be really hard to get actual 3D models from the game, or even make them from scratch, implement them in Osu!, and then go through the painful process of making them dance. But here's an idea.

Sometime in the future, (Not anytime soon of course! This can obviously wait for awhile.) perhaps the site will get a few good Flash artists who could draw a few animations. If possible, since the program can support .flvs (Or so I heard.) to play in the background, it'd be possible to make a small program to select a bunch of Cheerleader animations, drag them into say, a timeline, and make them dance to a particular length of time for however long the song is. (Or just simply make a movie with Flash, or some other program, then convert it to .flv. But that'd be harder for people who don't have the right tools.)

To put it short, it'd basically be making a flash movie with a some 2D animations of the EBA/Ouendan characters dancing. Then making that movie play while a song is being played.

Just a thought, y'know. To make Osu! feel more like the games sometime. ^_^b
ebaproman
Well, I don't know what a .flv is, but I do work alot with flash (stick people the most)
But I do have Animation Master (Still learning) Macro Media Flash, and Pivot
peppy
I guess to follow this approach, the videos would need an alpha channel. I'd actually rather go for the full 3d approach or nothing, personally... because I think this would get very messy. I guess this can be done as-is though? Just by choreographing a movie file for the background of your beatmaps.
RemmyX25
Yea, its a start, but to get the real feel of Ouendan/EBA, the dancers have to trip when someone misses, and then get close up when it gets to the <!>/<No!> portion.

BTW <.flv> is the file format YouTube uses to embed their videos. Not many standard players can decode .flvs. Peppy, can Osu! really read them?
peppy
If you installed the version of ffdshow I have linked in downloads, it should handle flv fine :). Its all a codec issue, after all.
Kylecito
i don't think this is a really good idea... videos lack the dynamic needed for a music game. we need instant responses and they must feel smooth.

also, already having a model an its skeleton, it should be easy to copy those animations into another model. now about making them work on XNA... well, i leave that to peppy x)
LuigiHann
Bumping this thread, because now that storyboarding is enabled, this is feasible.

I think the "easy" in the thread title is an exaggeration, but I think this could be done. My suggestion would be to do 2D characters, animated flash-style but perhaps using something more or less like the current storyboarding tools.

To automate the choreography, though, you could break the playfield into a grid, and have dance moves based on which chunk of the grid each beat is in. Ideally, the grid would be variable, so you could start with like a 3-by-3 grid, then break it into smaller parts as you add more moves.

3D dancers could be handled in much the same way. In fact, if this system were implemented for 2D characters, than 3D ones could be pre-rendered and added in exactly the same way. Heck, you could do live-action ones if you wanted to :P Or characters cut out from anime and video games. It could be pretty versatile, really.
Loginer

LuigiHann wrote:

Bumping this thread, because now that storyboarding is enabled, this is feasible.

I think the "easy" in the thread title is an exaggeration, but I think this could be done. My suggestion would be to do 2D characters, animated flash-style but perhaps using something more or less like the current storyboarding tools.

To automate the choreography, though, you could break the playfield into a grid, and have dance moves based on which chunk of the grid each beat is in. Ideally, the grid would be variable, so you could start with like a 3-by-3 grid, then break it into smaller parts as you add more moves.

3D dancers could be handled in much the same way. In fact, if this system were implemented for 2D characters, than 3D ones could be pre-rendered and added in exactly the same way. Heck, you could do live-action ones if you wanted to :P Or characters cut out from anime and video games. It could be pretty versatile, really.
Yes, forget about my poor Ryuta. Use complicated storyboarding instead. Oh, yes... T__T
peppy

Loginer wrote:

Yes, forget about my poor Ryuta. Use complicated storyboarding instead. Oh, yes... T__T
I haven't forgotten, and will give this another look this week promise. As soon as I figure out how to access the animations you have in there things should move pretty smoothly...