forum

SKIN: cursortrail draw rate [waiting]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
awp
Yes, this is another request to make my TWEWY skin look even more epic.

Requesting the ability to specify the "draw rate" of cursortrail to make the icon draw either more or less often.

Purpose for my intentions: When you move the cursor slowly in the TWEWY skin the trail looks near-solid like you're doing a slash maneuver, but when you move it quickly you just see a bunch of blue circles and it looks kinda dumb =x If I could increase the rate at which it redraws it would look cooler =x

also some people might want to lower the rate it draws at for other reasons~

Pleeeease <3
ROMaster2
I see no problem with this idea :)
YoshiKart
Agreed. :)
wiicademan
Wouldn't it make a lot of computers lag a lot? To make a convincing trail with a cursor moving real fast would require a real lot of icons for the computer to draw.

I think the cursor trail rate should depend upon the speed in which the cursor is moving at. So the cursor trail rate will increase when the mouse is moving fast to create a more convincing trail and decrease when the cursor isn't moving to save a bit of processing power.
Topic Starter
awp

wiicademan wrote:

Wouldn't it make a lot of computers lag a lot? To make a convincing trail with a cursor moving real fast would require a real lot of icons for the computer to draw.
cursortrail.png
Size: 1011 bytes (1,011 bytes)

I don't think 1kb * draw rate * FPS is gonna kill the GPU all that much. You've got clusters of stars flying all over the screen...these dots shouldn't do much.

wiicademan wrote:

I think the cursor trail rate should depend upon the speed in which the cursor is moving at. So the cursor trail rate will increase when the mouse is moving fast to create a more convincing trail and decrease when the cursor isn't moving to save a bit of processing power.
That requires more dynamic calculation on the processor's part. An interesting idea, but I don't know how practical it is.
peppy
Hmm this one wil have to wait. At the moment, the cursor trail sprite is being drawn at 60fps. To increase past this, interpolation will have to come into the picture, and this could begin to look ugly. I'll look at this one sometime in the next week, but it won't make this public unfortunately.

And yes - even a sprite that small may have a performance impact if it is drawn enough. Also, you quote its compressed size, not raw data size which is what matters.
Clobohne
Its been 8 years since the last reply, and I have not seen it implemented in any way yet even though its still on [waiting] :(

Is this Request dead, did peppy just forget about it or is it impossible to be added anytime soon?
Bara-
[waiting] is a new one for me O.o
Afaik, [assigned] is the same now, and does not get moved, so maybe this should be brought back up

I'd like this actually
dung eater
I would very much like this, too.

For the cursortrail with a cursormiddle.png, i would very much like a max draw amount (translates to max lenght) after which it would fade, having some control on fading speed would be really nice, too. Moving cursor fast and having a 3x screen wide cursotrail and moving it slow and having a 3x cursor width trail is not cool. When cursortrail is very visible, it looks fine when moving slowly, when cursortrail is very faint, it is fine when moving fast. Can't have both atm. It probably boils down to how cursortrail stays at max intensity for a while.
Clobohne
Peppy please, any response would be nice D: