forum

My solution to the world's problems

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
I've come up with a solution to the world's financial problems.

A billion dollars should be the maximum amount of money a person can have.
Anybody with more than a billion dollars has one year to spend it until their total goes below a billion.
Anybody with more than a billion dollars after a year goes to jail.
Problem solved.

Discuss.
Saturos
Net worth? Savings? Investments?

Limiting just your liquid cash would be retarded. ;x

It would also screw with economics in general, internationally and internally.
awp
How does this apply to businesses/organizations/etc.

or rather, maybe it doesn't?

There'd be too much underhanded tax evasion at work though =x
Slain087
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
wiicademan
I think an easier way would be to just move all the stupid people to Mars, or something.
awp

wiicademan wrote:

I think an easier way would be to just move all the stupid people to Mars, or something.
This won't do anything to stop or in any way prohibit the exploitation of underprivileged developing countries/cultures by the big rich white folk =(
qwertymeepit
Abolish money...
Abolish the economy...
Abolish trading...
Abolish anyone with money.
wiicademan

awp wrote:

wiicademan wrote:

This won't do anything to stop or in any way prohibit the exploitation of underprivileged developing countries/cultures by the big rich white folk =(
Fine. We'll move all the smart people to Mars, and they'll do a bunch of awesome stuff there so it's awesomely habitable, and just forget about all the dumb people.
Frost_old
This would annihilate rich ppl's savings and promotes communism. Wait, IT IS COMMUNISM(not that i have anything against it but it can be abused).
awp

qwertymeepit wrote:

Abolish money...
Abolish the economy...
Abolish trading...
Abolish anyone with money.
Yeah we will destroy economics as we know it

clearly a bunch of teenagers know more about how to run the world than a century of experience~
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Well, I think it'd be communism if it the government were taking any money over a billion dollars, but that's not what I'm suggesting. Rich people could do whatever the hell they want with their extra money, they just wouldn't be able to sit on it while the economy collapses like they're doing now.
Saturos

LuigiHann wrote:

Well, I think it'd be communism if it the government were taking any money over a billion dollars, but that's not what I'm suggesting. Rich people could do whatever the hell they want with their extra money, they just wouldn't be able to sit on it while the economy collapses like they're doing now.
Flawed logic.

That money would be spread throughout businesses, thus maker their owners very wealthy. Well beyond the proposed limit. ;x
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Saturos wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

Flawed logic.

That money would be spread throughout businesses, thus maker their owners very wealthy. Well beyond the proposed limit. ;x
Yes, but then those business owners would have a year to spend their extra money on whatever they want.
awp
their businesses
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
oh no it'd be an endless cycle of people putting money into the economy D:

OH WAIT THATS THE POINT
Saturos
It's not as if these people are just sitting on it, not spending it, either. At least in the US they get taxed out the ass for their worth, which strongly encourages donations back into the economy to receive some tax breaks. Quite frankly, your wealth will run dry if you just sit on your ass not spending anything or trying to earn it back in some way, regardless of if you can live off the interest from it or not. Inflation/taxes will break that.

Anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts on some of the following:

-1 billion what? Currency wise. Euro vs yen is obviously a HUGE difference. Need a base.
-1 billion what? Net worth wise. People that break the billion mark and are forced to spend it will have roughly the same amount in their assets as they did in more liquid form (cash/bank accounts/etc). Therefore, what they buy could simply be bartered with to avoid spending cash in the first place.
-Inflation. It's inevitable, since scarcity rules over economics. Natural resources are limited, and as those run dry, things will become more expensive. Eventually (~1-2 hundred years, assuming humans are still around), the ability to have 1 billion dollars would become about as common as having 1 million. Would the cap be able to rise?
-Poor people. There's no way to guarantee the money that's reinvested by wealthy people to hit the pockets of the poor without regulation. In which case, it truly would be a communistic thought process.

There's more, but I'm already getting too serious about this. I'll worry about direct economic effects later. >>
awp
Saturos FCs microeconomics courses
Saturos

awp wrote:

Saturos FCs microeconomics courses
Macroeconomics dawg~~

'DIS SHITZ INTERNATIONAL, YO
awp
what

I thought these were nation-wide laws not international laws

how the hell could one government pass laws that span across another =x
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
My proposal was intended as an American law (hence "dollars"), but Saturos is right that it would have a strong global impact in various ways.
show more