forum

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException:Unsupported[Read for fix]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ididido
I've been playing osu! since January with no problems, but after updating to b320 the following bugs appear:
1. When I opening the update, it immediately crashes (see attachment)
2. The Online Ranking doesn't appear and when I setting new records, the ranking does not update.
3. I constantly disconnect and reconnect to the IRC channel.

Please help me because without the Online Ranking it's like playing a half game :(
Thanks

peppy
No particular errors?

Hard to tell what's going on ehre. Do you use a proxy server to access the internet or anythign?
Topic Starter
ididido
I don't use proxy server and the updater worked fine until the last update.
ROMaster2
Are you on an administrator's account? It might help.
peppy

ididido wrote:

I don't use proxy server and the updater worked fine until the last update.
More details please? Also, try getting the latest version of the updater and test that just incase. I initially released the wrong version which may cause trouble.

http://osu.ppy.sh/release/osume.exe
Topic Starter
ididido
I downloaded osume.exe & when i opened it, I got these messages:

peppy
Check firewall settings - your connection to the server is being blocked somewhere.
Topic Starter
ididido
I asked my brother (he's the guy who understands that firewall stuff) & he told me that i need the IP address the port to allow access... Can you tell them?
peppy
I did a bit of research and found I can fix this problem at my end. I will have a new version of osu! available tomorrow or the next day. Please be patient and use the osu! installer in the mean time :).

BUT

Can you answer this question:
When you run osume, can you see the little website load in the osume window, with the changelog?
Topic Starter
ididido
Thanks for your help...
Anyway, I don't see the web site, it's all blank... ( I added the attachment just in case)

peppy
Thanks for following this up.

I'm not sure how technical are (and if you'll be able to do this), but this is the problem you are facing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

If you or someone you know can follow the instructions on that page to fix the issue, this would make my life a lot easier. I *can* fix it in osu!, but it will take a good 5-10 hours of code changes and as I have quite a few other things to focus on at the moment, so I can't promise anything :o.

As I think this is the first case of this problem, please try and solve it using the above help article, and if that fails, I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Instructions are very simple if you have Windows XP SP2
Manual steps to recover from Winsock2 corruption
Windows XP with Service Pack 2 instructions
To repair Winsock if you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed, type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Note Restart the computer after you run this command.

Note If these steps do not resolve the problem, follow the steps in the next section.
Topic Starter
ididido
it's working!!! :)
peppy thanks for all your help!
KiraCatgirl

ididido wrote:

I downloaded osume.exe & when i opened it, I got these messages:
I'm getting the exact same messages as were attached to this post. I attached the large error dialog to this as well for comparison's sake. I also am posting in here instead of making a new post because it appears to be the same issue.

I tried running the netsh thing, and it ran and I rebooted, but I'm still getting the same errors. I also went through and check to see if Winsock2 was corrupted as per the support site, and it appears that it is not, so none of those fixes are likely to be useful.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the installer to a different location, just for the heck of it, and that didn't work either. Both before and after, not only does the updater give the aforementioned errors, but osu! itself doesn't connect to the online ranking at all, neither to retrieve nor submit scores. It, however, doesn't complain about anything or give any error dialogs. It just says 'Loading' or the relevant text in the ranking areas forever.

I not only set both programs to 'allow' in my firewall, but I also tried just turning the firewall off, so I know it isn't that. The only think I can think of is a port issue from my modem/router, but that seems unlikely as a friend of mine who has every single issue with port forwarding under the sun doesn't have any problems connecting with osu! or the updater.

If it helps, I'm using WinXP Home SP 2.

peppy
Hi Kira

Kinda sucks this is happening for you as well. I'm still not willing to make code changes to osu! just yet (they will break oh so much ;x), but if we don't find a better solution I will go about doing so asap.

Did you try the second method mentioned on that MS page that mentioned deleting keys from the registry? From what I have read around the internet when I researched this bug, everyone that experienced it was able to solve it with those instructions when fully completed... but I guess there is a first for everything.
KiraCatgirl
I just tried it, and I'm afraid it didn't do anything. :( Can you think of anything else on my end that might be causing this that I could try to fix?
KiraCatgirl
Just thought that I should mention the old osume.exe that I have from uhm, October works fine. Connects and everything. At least, until it updates itself to the new patcher, at which point it spews those errors.
peppy
I'll see what I can do about this one tonight. If it looks like I can get a it fixed within 5 hours I'll give it a shot.

I guess the backup plan is to allow fallback to the old netcode (although this will cause some problems in itself)..
peppy
I've made a test version of the updater with new code. I hope this will fix your issues. Please try running this and watch carefully - because it won't actually download osu!, it will download the old updater (which doesn't work). As long as it downloads at all though, we have success which means I can make these changes to osu! and osume for the next public release (in the next 3 days) and solve your problem.

(I PM'd you the file link)