forum

A list of suggestions - v4

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Gemi
Yes, I've work in game design before and tend to have a lot of ideas, even if not all of them are really worth implementing.

1. The Universal Audio Offset system in the options doesn't seem to work. If I actually listen to the two sounds and adjust my UAO so that I only hear one sound my offset is screwed big time. Now I've just tested the correct offset by playing a few songs. (A click-syncing system was discussed on irc and will hopefully be implemented)
  2. When a song is removed from the current view (eg. you play a song in the unplayed list, remove a song from the favourits folder that you are in or delete a song) the selection jumps to the top of the song list which is pretty inconvenient for keyboard scrolling. The selection should instead stay in the song above/below the removed song so that keyboard scrolling would continue from the same spot in the list.
  3. Lyrics support would be nice. Preferrably with the same format that is used in dance games to make things easier for some of us. ^^ See the following file for an example: http://gem.users.paivola.fi/dl/Home%20Again.lrc. The color tag decides the color that is used after that point. The time tags start a new line and the next time tag acts as the end of the previous line.
  4. When you press F9 to open online list and then press F9 again to close it the chat remains open. It'd be better if it didn't. F8 / F9 behavior won't be changed
  5. In editor it should be possible to click on the bar at the top (the one that shows circle placement in time allow) to jump to the clicked moment of time to help precision jumping in time. Already possible by double clicking on hit circles.
  6. In Taiko mode if you click an extra click it registeres as a too early click for the next circle, causing it to miss. After this if you continue to play with the correct rhythm all of the circles count as misses since you "press them too early". This might be intended but it's not fun. Taiko is not open for suggestions since it's evolving heavily.
  7. A friend asked if it would be possible to sort your songs in subfolders inside the Songs-folder of the game. I guess it isn't currently possible since the game probably doesn't find the songs from subfolders, but it would be a nice feature. Done
  8. And a bump to the accuracy change suggestion I made earlier: http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3092. Done
  9. If I'm holding the left mouse button during a slider and accidentally click on the right mouse button the game lets go of the slider and breaks combo even if I'm still holding the left mouse button. You could either disable the other mouse button while the other one is pressed (might cause problems when someone uses both buttons to click fast note sprees), allow for disabling the right mouse button (not perfect solution since players might want to use both buttons in fast clicking sprees), or just prevent it from dropping the slider if either mouse button is still held even if the other one is clicked. Done
  10. Currently if you use keyboard scrolling in the song list it seems to disable mouse scrolling. Mouse scrolling comes available again if you click on a song, but this seems like it should work in a better manner. Done
EDIT: Adding more suggestions here to avoid multiple topics with lots of stuff. I think I'll add to here whenever I have lots of suggestions.

1. A "friend"-mod which treats your game as if you were not logged in, ie it does not get submitted at all. Allows for friends to test without the hassle of loggin out and in again. Also allows players to test their skills on a map without logging out if they don't want it to register on their account.
  2. Assist tick (as a disqualifying mod maybe?). This would play a short hit sound (different from the normal hit sound that is played when the player clicks a circle) every time a circle or slider start should be hit. This would allow to learn the rhythms of a song without going to editor and hitting the play button there.
  3. An alternative method of coloring the hit circles, based on the timing, not the combo that they belong to. Ie all circles on 1/1 beat snap have one color, circles on 1/2 beat snap have another color, etc. This coloring method is used in dance games and helps one to read the rhythm of the song. Some of my dance gamer friends have said that this would be nice, and adding it as an option doesn't hurt. Besides, the coloring currently isn't too useful since it isn't important to know which combos the notes belong to.
  4. A challenge system of some kind, I'll put a separate topic for this one.
  5. Web: Fix the problem with many songs registering with an incorrect difficulty for the new extended statistics, eg the split up accuracy numbers.
  6. Web: Fix a bug with the scores tab having wrong numbers. (The split up scores add up to more than the actual ranked score of that player)
  7. Web: Split the ranks in the ranks tab to difficulty ratings just like accuracy currently. Also keep the total numbers, of course.
  8. Web: Add the total score and ranked score to the score tab. Also add text that explains that the split up score only includes those scores that are the heighest score on that song, not the scores of every beatmap played.
  9. The song wheel shouldn't scroll because of mouse positioning when the chat and the extended chat panel are open. Currently it does so in the background when you move your mouse around in the extended chat panel. Done.
  10. The topmost category should be selected for the keyboard scrolling when a new sorting option is selected. Currently nothing is selected and it causes a weird budge when you hit the up or down buttons. Done.
  11. Add a possibility to change your offset during a song. Also, a possibility to change and save your local offset of each song was suggested. Done.
More additions:
  1. When the mods half-time or double-time are selected, the preview music could be sped up or slowed down just like it is in game. This has been done in other rhythm games so it probably doesn't require too much resources from the computer to do it.
  2. Addition of the S+ rank as detailed in the following topic: http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4215.
  3. Web: Change efficiency as discussed in the community meeting.
And yet more additions:

1. Show the combo count during the breaks, just like the score is shown. A minor thing, but still helpful imo.
  2. Add a way to set certain map settings as common for all beatmaps in a song. This includes stuff like offset, bpm, bg-image or color and hit circle colors, which many users want to be same in all difficulties, but have to now set manually.
  3. A hate list for songs in addition to the favourites lists. Also a filter to filter out hated songs. This is useful since players want to keep all ranked songs on the computer, but are not always in the mood of playing all of the songs that they don't like.
  4. Add an option to change the method of showing songs so that all difficulties are always shown separately (it worked like this in a bugged test version once) or in the age old method of only showing one entry for the song which you then need to open to see all of the songs difficulties.
  5. Add the possibility to export and import your local saved offset changes to a text file or just store the offset changes used by the game in a text file that is also used by the game. This would allow A) sharing of your offset changes to others B) Modifying the offset changes manually C) Seeing easily which songs have offset changes and how big those changes are, so that we could later on arrange a offset changing marathon for the offsync songs.
  6. Song wheel should show the online rank status next to the currently shown rank. Rank status = what number it is on the list of online scores, ie is it #1, #8, #44 or so on. The players online score and rank is shown now.
  7. When you have added a song to Favourites A or Favourites B, the song option to add the song into that Favourites group should be changed to "Remove song from Favourites A/B". This way you would be able to see if the song is already in a favourites group and you would also be able to remove the song from just one of the favourites groups. This should also be able to be done when you are not in a favourites sorting method unlike the remving option currently. This would also remove the need for the current "Remove song from favourites" option. Done
  8. Some sort of a scroll bar on the right side would be handy to show your current position in the song list in the same way as the basic scroll bar on the right side of any web page for example. Done
And a new thing:

1. Have the combo number in the lower left corner flash or glow golden when you have a full 300 combo (nothing else than 300's), green when you have a full 100 combo (only 300's and 100's) and blue if you have a full 50 combo (no misses). The flash or glow should be visible but not disturbing, giving both a little more eye candy and the actual info of how well you are doing.
peppy

Gemi wrote:

When you press F9 to open online list and then press F9 again to close it the chat remains open. It'd be better if it didn't.
F9 is supposed to be the extended chat toggle. F8 is what you are looking for ;).

Gemi wrote:

The Universal Audio Offset system in the options doesn't seem to work. If I actually listen to the two sounds and adjust my UAO so that I only hear one sound my offset is screwed big time. Now I've just tested the correct offset by playing a few songs.
This is true. A more refined system will be in place once the tutorial is finished.

Gemi wrote:

In editor it should be possible to click on the bar at the top (the one that shows circle placement in time allow) to jump to the clicked moment of time to help precision jumping in time.
You can jump to any circle by double-clicking on it. You can't jump to an empty location, but i dont reeeally see a problem with this as clicking would be very inaccurate, and using the arrow keys is already pretty fast to move around. Feel free to argue this if you think otherwise, though.

Gemi wrote:

Currently if you use keyboard scrolling in the song list it seems to disable mouse scrolling. Mouse scrolling comes available again if you click on a song, but this seems like it should work in a better manner.
Any suggestions? ;x

Gemi wrote:

When a song is removed from the current view (eg. you play a song in the unplayed list, remove a song from the favourits folder that you are in or delete a song) the selection jumps to the top of the song list which is pretty inconvenient for keyboard scrolling. The selection should instead stay in the song above/below the removed song so that keyboard scrolling would continue from the same spot in the list.
Yea, I guess so.

Gemi wrote:

If I'm holding the left mouse button during a slider and accidentally click on the right mouse button the game lets go of the slider and breaks combo even if I'm still holding the left mouse button. You could either disable the other mouse button while the other one is pressed (might cause problems when someone uses both buttons to click fast note sprees), allow for disabling the right mouse button (not perfect solution since players might want to use both buttons in fast clicking sprees), or just prevent it from dropping the slider if either mouse button is still held even if the other one is clicked.
This is done to prevent a method of cheating which involved holding one button permanently and only clicking on the start of the slider. I don't see this changing, really. You might be best swapping to keyboard controls and using space bar out of the way of any other accidentally hittable buttons. Yes - implementing a 'right click disable' option is easy, but I believe in KISS methodology and don't want to add useless features which are only used by one or two people.

Gemi wrote:

In Taiko mode...
Taiko mode is under development. I'm not accepting any feedback on it for the moment :).

Gemi wrote:

A friend asked if it would be possible to sort your songs in subfolders inside the Songs-folder of the game. I guess it isn't currently possible since the game probably doesn't find the songs from subfolders, but it would be a nice feature.
Try before you accuse. Subfolders are supported but aren't displayed in song seleciton yet. They will be at some point in the future though.

Gemi wrote:

Lyrics support would be nice. Preferrably with the same format that is used in dance games to make things easier for some of us. ^^ See the following file for an example: http://gem.users.paivola.fi/dl/Home%20Again.lrc. The color tag decides the color that is used after that point. The time tags start a new line and the next time tag acts as the end of the previous line.
Can do if you gather enough support. I would suggest finding the last thread in feature reqs. asking for this and bumping it. A poll is a good way of getting me to add something in.

Gemi wrote:

And a bump to the accuracy change suggestion I made earlier:
Yeah well. My time is limited and that is relatively low priority. Feel free to bump it to keep it alive, though.
Topic Starter
Gemi

peppy wrote:

Gemi wrote:

When you press F9 to open online list and then press F9 again to close it the chat remains open. It'd be better if it didn't.
F9 is supposed to be the extended chat toggle. F8 is what you are looking for ;).
F8 opens the chat and closes it properly. F9 opens online list + chat but only closes the online list, so when I use F9 to open and close the panels it leaves the chat open. For me it would be more logical that it closed both.

peppy wrote:

Gemi wrote:

The Universal Audio Offset system in the options doesn't seem to work. If I actually listen to the two sounds and adjust my UAO so that I only hear one sound my offset is screwed big time. Now I've just tested the correct offset by playing a few songs.
This is true. A more refined system will be in place once the tutorial is finished.
Great. Not a big thing for me, but new players sure appreciate getting it right without a need to manually test, and the game lives of it's player base.

peppy wrote:

Gemi wrote:

In editor it should be possible to click on the bar at the top (the one that shows circle placement in time allow) to jump to the clicked moment of time to help precision jumping in time.
You can jump to any circle by double-clicking on it. You can't jump to an empty location, but i dont reeeally see a problem with this as clicking would be very inaccurate, and using the arrow keys is already pretty fast to move around. Feel free to argue this if you think otherwise, though.
I wasn't aware of this double click jumping. That's enough, no need to introduce jumping to empty places.

peppy wrote:

Gemi wrote:

Currently if you use keyboard scrolling in the song list it seems to disable mouse scrolling. Mouse scrolling comes available again if you click on a song, but this seems like it should work in a better manner.
Any suggestions? ;x
I'll think about it.

peppy wrote:

Gemi wrote:

When a song is removed from the current view (eg. you play a song in the unplayed list, remove a song from the favourits folder that you are in or delete a song) the selection jumps to the top of the song list which is pretty inconvenient for keyboard scrolling. The selection should instead stay in the song above/below the removed song so that keyboard scrolling would continue from the same spot in the list.
Yea, I guess so.

Gemi wrote:

If I'm holding the left mouse button during a slider and accidentally click on the right mouse button the game lets go of the slider and breaks combo even if I'm still holding the left mouse button. You could either disable the other mouse button while the other one is pressed (might cause problems when someone uses both buttons to click fast note sprees), allow for disabling the right mouse button (not perfect solution since players might want to use both buttons in fast clicking sprees), or just prevent it from dropping the slider if either mouse button is still held even if the other one is clicked.
This is done to prevent a method of cheating which involved holding one button permanently and only clicking on the start of the slider. I don't see this changing, really. You might be best swapping to keyboard controls and using space bar out of the way of any other accidentally hittable buttons. Yes - implementing a 'right click disable' option is easy, but I believe in KISS methodology and don't want to add useless features which are only used by one or two people.
Maybe you could change the slider system so that you need to hold the exact button that was used to press the start of the slider. This would prevent the cheat you explained and would allow to fix the problem I'm having.

peppy wrote:

Gemi wrote:

In Taiko mode...
Taiko mode is under development. I'm not accepting any feedback on it for the moment :).
k :)

peppy wrote:

Gemi wrote:

A friend asked if it would be possible to sort your songs in subfolders inside the Songs-folder of the game. I guess it isn't currently possible since the game probably doesn't find the songs from subfolders, but it would be a nice feature.
Try before you accuse. Subfolders are supported but aren't displayed in song seleciton yet. They will be at some point in the future though.
Should have tried, but decided to include in the list anyway while I was writing it, just in case. And great to hear that subfolders are going to be visible in game later on.

peppy wrote:

Gemi wrote:

Lyrics support would be nice. Preferrably with the same format that is used in dance games to make things easier for some of us. ^^ See the following file for an example: http://gem.users.paivola.fi/dl/Home%20Again.lrc. The color tag decides the color that is used after that point. The time tags start a new line and the next time tag acts as the end of the previous line.
Can do if you gather enough support. I would suggest finding the last thread in feature reqs. asking for this and bumping it. A poll is a good way of getting me to add something in.
Let's see if I bother, it's not a big thing.

peppy wrote:

Gemi wrote:

And a bump to the accuracy change suggestion I made earlier:
Yeah well. My time is limited and that is relatively low priority. Feel free to bump it to keep it alive, though.
That's why I listed it here, I'm keeping it alive for a time when you are eagerly looking for something to do when everything else has already been done. ;) Like that would happen...
awp
F8 opens the chat and closes it properly. F9 opens online list + chat but only closes the online list, so when I use F9 to open and close the panels it leaves the chat open. For me it would be more logical that it closed both.
F8 - open chat
F9 - extend chat
F8 - close entire chat window

works well enough for me - if f9 did what f8 did, closing JUST the extended chat would be fucking irritating. I won't wanna click those tabs in the bottom right
adamskii_uk
The F8 and F9 keys don't work quite as they should. Here's a run down on how these keys actually work in Osu!

The following assumes that you have just started Osu:

1) F8 opens the chat window as expected, then F8 closes the chat window again.
2) F9 opens the extended chat window (ie. chat window at the bottom of the screen and online user list at the top). Pressing the F9 key again will close the online user list but leaves the chat window open. And pressing the F9 key again for the third time will bring back the online user list along with the chat window.
3) Pressing F9 will open the extended chat window as described in the previous example, and then pressing the F8 key will make the extended chat window completely disappear. But if you now press F8 again, the F8 key no longer just opens the chat window, but opens the extended chat window. To get the F8 key just to open the chat window again, you have to first open the extended chat window, then press F9 to make the online user list go away, then press F8 to close the chat window.

As you can see by what I've described in the above examples, the F8 and F9 keys don't work as they should. IMO, the F8 key should open and close the chat window. And the F9 key should open and close the extended chat window, which it currently doesn't do.
Saturos
Is it really that hard to hit F9 to close the extended chat? I don't have a problem with how it currently is.
adamskii_uk

Saturos wrote:

Is it really that hard to hit F9 to close the extended chat? I don't have a problem with how it currently is.
Yes, it is really that hard, because the F9 key doesn't close the extended chat window completely.

If you press the F9 key it brings up the chat window (the same as you get by pressing F8) and the online users list at the top half of the screen, where you spectate them, etc. But if you press the F9 key again, it only closes the online users list, and not the chat window. You would expect the F9 key to close both the chat window and the online user list, since the F9 key brought them both up in the first place.

You can of course use the F8 key to close them both simultaneously, but then the F8 key no longer just opens the chat window, it opens the extended chat window instead, just like what the F9 key does.
Saturos
F8 open the chat, F9 open the extended. Since extended is supposed to be open with the chat, hitting simply F9 opens both. Since you can't have extended without chat, F8 closes both.

It's really not hard to understand.
peppy
F8 - Toggle Chat Interface. This will toggle the chat interface on or off in its current state.
F9 - Toggle Extended Chat. This will toggle the subsystem "Extended Chat" which exists inside the chat interface. It will also force the chat interface to "on" if it was set to "off" when F9 is pressed.

Enough said? This won't change - I feel this is the most comfortable way of operating it. Just learn the keys and use them to your advantage.
Topic Starter
Gemi
Bumping the topic since I added lots of new stuff.
peppy
I think you can cross off number 2 as well ;)
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Gemi

peppy wrote:

I think you can cross off number 2 as well ;)
Keyboard scrolling still disables mouse scrolling as described. Still not sure what could be done better though.

peppy wrote:

Web: Fix the problem with many songs not registering for the new extended statistics, eg the split up accuracy numbers.
All songs register, but they have incorrect star difficulties.
Fixing the bullet point.

peppy wrote:

Web: Fix a bug with the scores tab having wrong numbers. (The split up scores add up to more than the actual ranked score of that player)
It counts all difficulties, rather than highest from set. I guess this should be set-based?
Since the ranked score only has the highest from a set then this should probably be so too. Actually, this brings to mind the possibility of instead changing ranked score to include all difficulties, not just the one with the highest score. Maybe? Not sure if it's a good idea or not.
peppy

Gemi wrote:

Since the ranked score only has the highest from a set then this should probably be so too. Actually, this brings to mind the possibility of instead changing ranked score to include all difficulties, not just the one with the highest score. Maybe? Not sure if it's a good idea or not.
Put bluntly, no :P
RemmyX25
In response to off beats (or 1/8 beats) being a different color, I'll will put in my general opinion and say no. By doing this, osu! will give in to clichés of other rhythm games, most notably, DDR. osu! isnt supposed to be heavily influenced by DDR (thats why StepMania was created), but Ouendan and EBA, where the off color beats did not occur
Topic Starter
Gemi

RemmyX25 wrote:

In response to off beats (or 1/8 beats) being a different color, I'll will put in my general opinion and say no. By doing this, osu! will give in to clichés of other rhythm games, most notably, DDR. osu! isnt supposed to be heavily influenced by DDR (thats why StepMania was created), but Ouendan and EBA, where the off color beats did not occur
Actually DDR default note skin does not reflect this coloring style that well, it's more of a thing that came with ITG. Besides, copying stuff from other games isn't a bad thing to do if the feature is heplful or fun.
Duoprism
Either way, this is an ouendan/EBA emulator, so this is not going to change. Also combo colours are an aesthetic part of some maps. Manually timed maps from the old days would not work with this feature either. With some clever mapping you could probably pull this off manually though.
awp
approach circles + beatspacing
Duoprism
I meant the colouring obviously. <_<
peppy

Reikin wrote:

Either way, this is an ouendan/EBA emulator, so this is not going to change. Also combo colours are an aesthetic part of some maps. Manually timed maps from the old days would not work with this feature either. With some clever mapping you could probably pull this off manually though.
wait MANUALLY TIMED?

there should only be one or two of these, and i'm still considering unranking them every day :P
show more