forum

First time for everything

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bowditch
Hi, this is both my first post and my first beatmap... it's basically done but i don't think that i will be working with it enough to make it an official one or whatever. It's Nowhere Man, by The Beatles, I don't think that it's been done, but like I said, I don't think I'm planning on going much further with it, I'm really just looking for some experienced advice

I guess you could say that it's more of a practice... but I think it turned out decent for my first try, it may be a little bit off beat but I'm pretty sure that it's very close. Also, I'm sure that the layout of the buttons and everything may be a bit awkward, but that's only due to lack of experience. It's really pretty easy despite those parts that may be awkward

I really like the beatmap making process, it's "complicated" (for lack of a better word) enough to be efficient and what-not, but relatively user friendly at the same time. It took me a few hours to do this, I don't know what you more experienced mappers usually do time wise, but again this is my first time.

I apologize if my post was too long or something

Peace

Download: The Beatles - Nowhere Man (Bowditch) [Easy].osu
YoshiKart
Hey, welcome to osu!!

Lemme check this. I think I can try to help you improve it. I can hear the song stuck already as I DL it! :P
YoshiKart
Do you think you can upload it again? Osu! says that it's an unknown filetype everytime I launch it. =/
Topic Starter
Bowditch
I'm not too clear on how to upload the beatmaps properly, sorry... I'll try again though

I found another small problem with it, the song is too quiet, oh well...

Download: The Beatles - Nowhere Man (Bowditch) [Easy].osu
Sinistro
The problem here is that you attach just the .osu file, which is the instructions that make up the beatmap - the song is missing. You want to choose Export as .osz from the File menu and attach the .osz file instead. The .osz file has both the song and the .osu file packaged inside.
Topic Starter
Bowditch
I kinda knew that not having the song file was the problem. I think I have it this time. thanks for the help, I read that you had to do that on the FAQ but I guess I didn't pay attention, and it just hit me that the file menu is in the editor. So I had a bit of a dumb moment, oh well

Download: The Beatles - Nowhere Man.osz
awp

Sinistro wrote:

The problem here is that you attach just the .osu file, which is the instructions that make up the beatmap - the song is missing. You want to choose Export as .osz from the File menu and attach the .osz file instead. The .osz file has both the song and the .osu file packaged inside.
*newspaper* Bad!!! Come on, Doc - where's the sound advice? I haven't heard "BSS" once yet in this thread, have I?

When uploading a beatmap to the intarwebz the ideal approach is to go from the editor and select File > Upload Beatmap and follow the instructions from there.
YoshiKart
Great song!!

But... not so great beatmap. >_>

Sorry for the constructive criticism. For one thing, your timing is pretty off for me. A lot of notes are pretty close together, while some are randomly far away. You might want to refer to the beatspacing methods mentioned in the FAQ.

I tried to fix your timing. I'm in a rush to go to bed (finals coming too) so I didn't double check if I timed it correctly for you. Ask a mod like awp or Sinistro to see if my timing was close.

offset: 16,650
BPM: 121.59

I resnapped most of the notes manually for you. Check to make sure. Although I adjusted many of the beats on the timeline, I left most of the beats on the playfield untouched. They're not in line with beatspacing. Use beatsnapping on the right side so the notes are spread out evenly according to the timeline.

Here, I attached the fixed beatmap. You should work with that for now. ^_^ Replace it with your old one. Don't worry, if it's all whacked up, you always have the one you attached here in the second post above this one in case.

Check with a mod, and let's see how it goes. Good luck.

And good night. :P

Download: The Beatles - Nowhere Man.osz
Topic Starter
Bowditch
lol, thanks... I knew it was a terrible beatmap and after playing it after working with some more I realized it was rediculously off beat. Plus I knew that I did a bad job spacing everything out, like I said it was mostly just a practice to figure out how to use the editor. But there's one thing that I'm pretty sure is important that I don't fully understand, and that's the offset, what does that do exactly and stuff?
YoshiKart
Correct me if I'm wrong (mods!), but the offset is where the first beat of the song (not necessarily the beatmap's first note) starts, from the beginning of the song file in milliseconds. For example, if you're drumming your lap to the beat of a song, you would definitely start drumming when the first beat that starts the song's tempo is present, right?
awp
It doesn't have to be the first note, but you have the right idea. First note of a stanza, at any rate, so for your average song, it'd be the (4n+1)th beat.