forum

Osu! Tatakae! Rock and Roll!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
YourAverageJoe_old
You might know me, I'm a passive admirer of many genres of music, and I can name a few must-listen bands if you press me. Now, imagine hearing about Osu! for the first time, it's new, exciting and sounds like a great way to pass the time. But one key part of any rhythm game is that it needs music to work, and imagine my disappointment when I skimmed through the 20-something pages of ranked songs to find that 90+ percent of the songs were either:

a) Europop
b) J-Pop or
c) Anime intros

Sure, I can easily imagine that people like this kind of music, but it's not really for everyone. After discussing the matter on #osu, I've found that people agree with me when I say that Osu! needs more rock!

No, don't reach for your Guilty Gear OST, step away from that Linkin Park CD and for the love of God, do not THINK of mapping that one kick-ass music that kicks in when your favourite shonen hero decides to look up and somehow beat down that guy who'd taken 10 minutes to explain his demented philosophy.

What we want is songs by such metal bands as Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath and Megadeth.

Don't like heavy metal? That's okay, you can always map songs by such great Classic Rock bands as The Beatles, The Who, Creedence Clearwater Revival and quite a few other bands who's name starts with "The".

If that's STILL not good enough for you, I recommend Rockabilly, Psycobilly or Surf Rock, stuff by such great fellows as Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Reverend Horton Heat, Beach Boys and Dick Dale.

I know there's someone among you who likes these bands. Before you suggest that I quit whining and make something on my own, I've already started! Here's my map of CCR's "Hey Tonight!" It's a great song, and even if you don't like the beatmap, you'll at least have a great song to listen to...

P.S. Stairway to Heaven and Free Bird are now justified for mapping since paraparaMAX got a map.
Agent BA8 Rookbie
I heartily agree with Rock maps. Meanwhile, my Godzilla map needs help! plus, more Blue Oyster Cult. Yes, I shall tell you one thing.
You know what osu needs?
MORE COWBELL! Join the Don't Fear The Reaper Collab!
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
Beatles are a Pop band.
Agent BA8 Rookbie
I classify the Beatles as Pop/Rock, because they do Rock songs, and Pop songs. Well, in my opinion.
Topic Starter
YourAverageJoe_old

awp wrote:

Beatles are a Pop band.
Everything is pop somewhere, at some point in time. Your point?
awp
except for black metal~
Topic Starter
YourAverageJoe_old
It'll get popular, believe me. It will.

Your point?
ForteDante
I agree. As soon as I get a hang of this mapping thing, I'm digging into my rock/metal collection.
chan
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Agent BA8 Rookbie
LuigiHann

chan wrote:

[edit]: even some new rock like wolfmother doesn't have constant bpm. wtf is with that?
Probably because they have a human drummer. Those losers.

Also, if a song is too long for ranking, you could always cut it down.
Chaoz_old
Osu! needs not only Rock.
There has to be beatmaps in all genres of music.
For example electronic music. There are only a few good Beatmaps in this genre
(e.g. Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone)

So to all Beatmappers: Be a bit more flexible and dont always stick to one genre!
Agent BA8 Rookbie
awp
all I can say to this thread is oh fuck off do what you enjoy and what works