forum

Keiichi Suzuki, Hirokazu Tanaka - Pokey Means Business!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
WaddleD_old
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on June-24-08 at 1:24:02 PM

Artist: Keiichi Suzuki, Hirokazu Tanaka
Title: Pokey Means Business!
BPM: 122
Filesize: 3113kb
Play Time: 01:42
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (2.38 stars, 107 notes)
  2. Normal (4.39 stars, 218 notes)
  3. Insane (4.63 stars, 275 notes)
Download: Keiichi Suzuki, Hirokazu Tanaka - Pokey Means Business!
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is 'Pokey Means Business' from Mother 2/Earthbound, also known as Giygas's theme.

This song is awesome, and was really fun to make a beatmap for. Don't try insane with anything less than absolute attention.

Anything I could improve while I'm at it? (Thinking about it, I should probably change the difficulty settings from Easy to Normal and from Normal to Hard. Heh.)

Edit 06/14: Updated basically everything adressed by ROMaster2 and MOOMANiBE. Changed a few sliders and things as well.

Edit "/": Little tiny fix.
Topic Starter
WaddleD_old
I know it's only been a day and I really shouldn't be complaining, but I'd quite enjoy to have someone play this at least once and the beatmaps are moving so quickly through the list that I don't think anyone has even played this yet. :<

And I'm still working on more beatmaps. Is that a bad thing?
ROMaster2
You can fill in more :P

[Easy]:
Good from what I checked

[Normal]:
00:43:26 (1-2) - That's impossible, you finish then start a slider at the same time.
00:45:22 (2-1) - Again, impossible, you have to click right when it ends.
00:46:70 (2-3) - Again, impossible...
00:50:63 (2-3) - Again, impossible...
02:09:40 (4-5) - impossible...
And this one seems off by quite a lot.

[Insane]:
Filled with impossibles
MOOMANiBE
I agree with what RO said about having one slider end simeltaneously with when another slider begins. That sort of thing is not good mapping and it's a no-no in terms of what's rankable.

But also! The BPM and offset on your second timing point are off. Sorry! X_X
I tested it out, and I think the correct BPM/Offset should be 132.00 and 53,092. You'll probably have to manually re-place a lot of your beats as a result.

A few nitpicks on Insane:

00:01:95 (1) - This is way too far away from the beat previous it. You practically have to lunge to get there in time. Please space it closer!

00:29:49 (1) - These sets of three... Because of the way you have to go from bottom to top, and that movement is larger than the normal 1/4 spacing for this segment, it isn't consistent with later on in the same stream, here: 00:38:83 (12) when you have a similar pattern but a twice the time gap between them. Player's first instinct is to hit the 12 immidiately after the eleven, and this is misleading. In fact, I didn't even notice it was timed differently until edit mode because I simply assumed I was having trouble with the stream (which I was.. it gets tiring after a while.) Even though the beat spacing is technically correct, I think the (12) needs to have a visible gap between it and the rest of the stream to prevent it from feeling misleading. Keeping it connected to the stream during such a -long- stream means most players simply won't notice the timing gap.

00:46:70 (3,4,5) - uh? Shouldn't these be farther apart? They're not 1/4 beats like the stream before, which was spaced the same. This actually applies on normal too.

00:50:63 (3,4,5) - Same as above.

01:03:99 (1,2,3,4) - Woah o_O This spacing is really huge. Do you really need that in there, or is it just to break combos? :P You have this big spacing again later in the song, but this example stands out to me because it's the farthest apart of all of them, far enough that it goes out of the "trick spacing" category and into "it's difficult to move your hand that quickly and precisely".

One nitpick on normal:

01:33:81 (1,2) and 01:35:11 (4,5) - This is too far away from the end of the slider beforehand in terms of spacing and doesn't fit with how the same part of the song is spaced afterwards as three beats in a row. Make em closer!

Lastly: Planning on mapping the rest of the song?
Topic Starter
WaddleD_old
Ah thanks a lot for that timing fix. I suspected something was off with those sliders but it seemed to go back to normal once the beats came in. But that part works much better now.

I fixed.... a lot of stuff. Normal now has none of those 'impossibles'. (I thought I got rid of those earlier, but apparently not.) The other problems have been removed.

The impossibles are, at least they were, my attempt at making it extremely challenging. They still are possible (By letting go and then clicking again extremely quickly you can manage to get 300 for both the slider and the next beat/slider), but I suppose I can remove them for the next version. All other spacing/timing problems have been fixed (or at least made a little more understandable).

Also the rest of the song is simply everything from 00:52 to 02:12 repeated. I dunno, but it would seem a bit redundant to me if I was to map the rest.

Edit: Well, that took a bit less time then expected. It's all fixed and uploaded, even those impossible sliders.
Tapdancingmetroid
It's a pretty good beatmap, but there are still one more problem on the insane difficulty:
The sliders at 00:22:60 00:24:54 are farther apart from the previous slider than other sliders of that type.
That's all I noticed, though.
'd.
MOOMANiBE

WaddleD wrote:

The impossibles are, at least they were, my attempt at making it extremely challenging. They still are possible (By letting go and then clicking again extremely quickly you can manage to get 300 for both the slider and the next beat/slider), but I suppose I can remove them for the next version.
I was guessing that's what you were doing, but the fact that you can get 300 there is only because of the small leeway you get going off sliders, making it more of an exploit of game mechanics than a legit tactic to make the game harder. Overlaps are frowned upon, and to tell you the truth, it didn't -really- make the song that much harder anyway ;)

WaddleD wrote:

Also the rest of the song is simply everything from 00:52 to 02:12 repeated. I dunno, but it would seem a bit redundant to me if I was to map the rest.
It doesn't have to be -- a lot of songs in osu repeat, but the mappers simply use different tactics or vary the way they time things slightly to 'fill out' parts that are the same. You can use it as a chance to experiment! You don't have to, I was just thinking that the song kinda felt like it ended abruptly.

WaddleD wrote:

Edit: Well, that took a bit less time then expected. It's all fixed and uploaded, even those impossible sliders.
I'll be taking a look at it later today ^^
Topic Starter
WaddleD_old

Tapdancingmetroid wrote:

It's a pretty good beatmap, but there are still one more problem on the insane difficulty:
The sliders at 00:22:60 00:24:54 are farther apart from the previous slider than other sliders of that type.
That's all I noticed, though.
Took me a little while to see what you were talking about but once I saw it I smacked myself across the face.

Fixed.
Elec
I would like to download this, but when I try, i get a 404 Error.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.