forum

Audition - Elec Bossa

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ash
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 at 7:34:09 PM

Artist: Audition
Title: Elec Bossa
BPM: 123
Filesize: 6837kb
Play Time: 02:06
Difficulties Available:
  1. Natural (1.65 stars, 136 notes)
  2. Sharp (2.87 stars, 183 notes)
  3. Forte (4.9 stars, 378 notes)
Download: Audition - Elec Bossa
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
So... I found this game a week or two ago. It's pretty cool; utilizing the gameplay from Elite Beat Agents and the versatility of StepMania is ingenious. I'm a rhythm game enthusiast, so I decided to stick with it for a while. Apparently, I'm okay at it -- being able to barely pass [Insane] difficulty. Lawl. But anyway, like StepMania, to really get involved with the game is to make your own steps for your own songs. I found something that really has a nice groove and beat, and made something out of it, from the rhythm game, "Audition". This is my first ever submission, and I just want to know if I did alright.

By the way, it's labeled [Natural] and [Sharp] (as I rank mine in Piano, Flat, Natural, Sharp, and Fort?, instead of the usual arrangement (lame, I know =P)). I actually used the natural symbol at first, but... no foreign characters allowed. Ah, well... Enjoy.

Edit:

I added a [Normal] rank ([Natural]). :D
Also, this beatmap used to have a star... I don't know what happened to it! D:
also newbs are ignored at this community :|

Edit 2:

I finished the beatmap, completing with the [Forte] rank, which is basically [Insane]. I also added a few graphics to sorta fit the style of the whole song, but I suck, so... I dunno how well it turned out. I really wish the map didn't get ignored, though. =|

btw this is my first, so don't be easy on me okay

x 3x

Edit 3: Halved it, and fixed some things...

I think that should be it.
Rolled
VERY good for your first map. I will nitpick it a bit for you here, so don't take anything to heart. I can tell you read the faq and your previous rhythm game knowledge sure didn't hurt:

First off, it's a bit long. 3 and a half minutes is where I draw the line personally. Ranking criteria states 2-3 minutes MAX but every mod is entitles to their own opinions. I would deffinately either cut the MP3 or just end it early, though.

Also I want to state that your offset it off. I would have never guessed though, playing. You did a nice job at placing the notes.. improperly? :P It is an easy fix. Enter 820 for your offset in the timing panel then go to the Timing drop down menu and resnap/recalc. (four R's in signature. Replay afterwards to make sure everything snapped properly, and then finally resubmit.)

Now the nitpicks:
For a normal map, the slider velocity is a bit fast. I'd use 2.0 velocity maximum for a normal difficulty, but some still may find that too fast. See what you can do about it.
Also, overlapping sliders are looked down upon for the most part (such as 00:20:57) It is almost impossible to notice that there is a slider following the first slider as the first trail covers the second's. Space them apart.
You have the basic idea of distance snapping, but I will tell you anyway that Distance on the timeline should be relevent to distance on the playing field. This means that if you have 3 notes, all a half a beat apart, then they should all have equal distance on the field. Above all, it is important that notes within the same stream have the same distance. So you're going to have to fix up 00:28:38 and 00:28:86. The same goes for the 5 in the stream at 00:37:64. It is spaced the same as the first 4 circles, yet it is on a half beat as opposed to a full beat. Fix up 00:47:64 using the previously stated principal also, and all similar.
Lastly, avoid stacked notes spaced differently on the timeline (01:01:18) Causes too much confusion. You can stack the first 2 circles after the slider, but move the third note somewhere else.

Seems like a lot, but it really is not. You should see some other user's first submissions. Excellent job on this, and I look forward to more of your maps. Starring this.
Topic Starter
ash
Thanks for the criticism! I fixed almost everything you said was wrong, and I found it to play a bit more smoothly. But, uh, almost everything.

I can't really change the sliders to not overlap at all. It's just a design ploy I used to try to go with the flow of the song. If I change it, not only will this flow be off, it will also be a tad cluttered. Also, I couldn't slow down the sliders; otherwise, I would have to shorten the length of all of them, and the running in the song depends on the player's movements across the screen. Making them shorter seems to be a huge limit (I attempted, and it turned out to be very, very odd), so I just changed the difficulty from [Normal] to [Hard]. I can do that, right?...

I'm working on an [Easy] and [Normal] now to make it legit. I dunno how I'll do the [Insane], though... x_X
mario_master_old
Wow. Great map! It's REALLY good, if it's your first. The timing was perfect and the beat placement was very nice. I hope to see more.
Topic Starter
ash
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Ivalset
Obligatory playtesting replay/screenshot.

I'd also like to say that this skin is great, and that the map is enjoyable. Usually I dislike songs that have extremely quick approach circles, but the drain is very survivable.

Download: Ivalset - Audition - Elec Bossa [Forte] (20080708075116).osr

Download: FictionJunction - Parallel Hearts (TV Size) (osuplayer111) [tmokb's Heart].osu
Sinistro
Excellent start :) I like the song, and you may want to consider making a complete skin out of the one you've created here, it looks wonderful. The absence of numbers is a little unusual, but they would probably make the visuals uglier and I expect/hope people will get accustomed to what the colours mean anyway.

As far as the gameplay itself is concerned, if the slider velocity in Sharp really does irrevocably mess up your patterns, I guess it could stay as it is. Still, since Sharp is supposed to be Normal (backed by a medium rating of 3.2 stars), there are some elements that don't mesh well with the difficulty level. These would be the overlapping slider paths on 00:16:41 (1,2) and 00:20:56 (1,2), and the slider at 01:46:17 (1) being obscured by the one preceding it (consider having it face right?). These occur one more time after the middle, when the song (and patterns) repeat.

01:14:22 (7,8) is a borderline case since it might trick people, but the visible approach circle of the slider at this point probably means you can keep it as is if you want.

I get the feeling it will still be harder than people would expect, but I hope it's within the upper limit of the range of required skill for a Normal map.

Forte shapes up to be one of "those" maps that players love to hate and play again and again ;) Based on testing from top players, Drain seems to not be unfair, but Overall Difficulty could be a little punishing. Might want to consider dropping it just one notch lower, but it's not a definite must.

I've got to say, your map's current state is much better than some other starred maps. Fix Sharp in those three (ok, six) points and I bubble.
awp
As I was saying on IRC, attached is an image of the custom slider ball skin but non-custom-follow circle which looks screwy in some skins (read: probably just OEWY =\)

as for the maps, I really can't argue Easy or Normal, but I find that a difficulty slider of 9 is generally too fast to make the map playable unless you memorize it. Drain rate's not too bad, difficulty is acceptable for an Insane map (it is not stupidly hard) the notes just take too long to appear, and I'm not a fan of memorizing an entire map just to get through it. BUT MAYBE SOME PEOPLE CAN SIGHTREAD BETTER THAN I CAN !!!

MaxwellDemon
I think the difficulty is okay. If it is any lower, it won't make too much of a difference compared to other insane maps. :)
Other than that, I am happy with this. So, here, have a bubble. XD

Fraeon
Wait, why isn't this ranked again? This is awesome.
Sinistro
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann
Are the graphics based on something from Audition or are they original? Either way they look great. My only suggestion (if you decide to try to adapt it into a full skin) would be to have the score stars also be sized according to their value, so 50 is smallest and 300g is biggest. I think the slider square looks great. Keep on mappin'.

Edit: I probably wouldn't have used such dark custom colors along with such a dark bg, but que sera sera.
BluePaladin25

LuigiHann wrote:

Edit: I probably wouldn't have used such dark custom colors along with such a dark bg, but que sera sera.
*coughgointothefolderandinvertthejpgfilecough*

... :lol: