forum

Game skips song [IE USERS: READ FOR FIX]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
When I start a song, the gameplay screen briefly appears, but immediately fades to black skips to the results screen. I've been able to replicate this with three songs from the official list: Road of Major, Speed over Beethoven, and Still Alive. I'm using build b106.
peppy
Hmm.. this sounds to me like an audio problem. Quite hard to actually know what is going wrong here.. I can't think of anything in common with those three beatmaps. I'll have a further look into this tonight, but as you say - you are definitely the first.

Feel free to add me on msn and I'll try to get some specific testing done with you.
[deleted user]
Same is happening with me, with two other songs. Seems like the song itself is irrelevant. (They were the portal song and D.A.N.C.E. if you think it might pertain)
peppy
Do some songs work OK? Or is the game failing for every single beatmap you try?
[deleted user]
I just tried it with "Ride on Shooting Star" as well- it's failing on every song. The timer bar just runs through almost instantly, and kicks back to the score screen.
peppy
May I ask what sound card you have?

I have a feeling this has something to do with either the bass_fx.dll extension I am using to modulate the speed of audio, or an issue with the sample rate I have set. Would you know if your sound card doesn't support 44100hz samples or something?

Feel free to add me on msn if you have some time to follow this up - I'd really like to see it fixed.
[deleted user]
I'm using a SoundBlaster Audigy SE. I honestly don't know a whole lot about audio hardware, so here are the specs from the Creative site:

24-bit Analog-to-Digital conversion of analog inputs at 96kHz sample rate
24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion of digital sources at 96kHz to analog 7.1 speaker output
16-bit and 24-bit recording with sampling rates of 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz
SPDIF1 output up to 24-bit resolution at selectable sampling rate of 44.1, 48 or 96kHz
64-Voice polyphony and multi-timbral capability
128 GM & GS compatible instruments and 10 drum kits
2MB or 4MB GM SoundFont Bank2 included
On-Board Connectors

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted) = 100 dB (2V)
Frequency Response at -3 dBr = <10 Hz to 40 kHz
peppy
An Audigy should definitely not have the problems you are are experiencing.

Please contact me on msn or IRC if you can! That way I can send you a test version of osu! to find out exactly what error you are getting.
[deleted user]
I got exactly the same trouble... I start a song, the gameplay screen appears for a split second then I got the result screen... I'm using the last build, but my audio is buit-in on my motherboard... What can I do ?
peppy
We are working on a fix - please be patient and try updating in an hour or so :).
peppy
Bumping for fix.

This is why it happens: IE uses its "intelligence" and renames the .osz files that you should be saving to your Songs folder to .zip. You are extracting the contents of the zip to the songs folder, rather than placing the intact osz/zip file there.

Resolution:
Delete everything from inside your songs folder. Download the beatmaps using "Save As" (or use firefox or opera ;)) and save to the songs directory. Do not extract these files! Please!

You should find that the game now plays as expected.

Please reply with your success/failure stories.
RemmyX25
AAHH!! This is what happens when i'm not home to test!! GAH!

T_T i is sowy

And morale of peppy's fix- Internet Explorer is not worth it as FireFox is easier
peppy

RemmyX25 wrote:

AAHH!! This is what happens when i'm not home to test!! GAH!
Its not actually something that could be fixed through testing. This has been the case since the first version with osz support.