forum

DragonForce - Through The Fire And Flames

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Saturday, July 05, 2008 at 1:09:11 PM

Artist: DragonForce
Title: Through The Fire And Flames
BPM: 199.97
Filesize: 7329kb
Play Time: 01:51
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1.34 stars, 103 notes)
  2. Normal (3.32 stars, 266 notes)
  3. Hard (4.51 stars, 394 notes)
  4. Expert (4.92 stars, 514 notes)
Download: DragonForce - Through The Fire And Flames
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
My 2nd big project I've been working on in osu! You're likely familiar with this one if you've played guitar hero 3. :P

Since the entire song is over 6 minutes in length, the beatmaps do not go through all of it. (easy ends after the 1st chorus while normal, hard, and expert end after the 2nd chorus.)

Everything appears to be looking alright, but if there are any issues w/anything, let me know.

Anyway, hope you enjoy. :)

Word of advice for expert: Have a fast finger. :P

Also, If you feel that expert isn't hard enough for you, I have an insane level as well. Consider yourself good if you pass it. (without mods) :P

Edit: Corrected a few wrongly timed notes on easy.
Edit 2: Minor edits to Easy and Normal, Made Insane a bit easier.
Edit 3: Changed 'Insane' Difficulty to 'Expert'.
Edit 4: Reworked all difficulties, Mainly Easy and Normal, but Hard and Expert have some changes as well.
Edit 5: Added more whistle/finish sounds. Tweaked all difficulties even more.
Edit 6: Made corrections on hard and expert.
Edit 7: Adjusted bpm and offset
Edit 8: Fixed spacing on expert
Edit 9: Added new difficulty in between hard and expert called 'expert', renamed old expert to insane, just in case. slight change to old expert.
Edit 10: made corrections burai mentioned on 7/4
Edit 11: Went through all difficulties and double-checked distance w/ distance snap (except expert, since I just made that, pretty sure it's right.)
Edit 12: Corrected spacing on expert awp pointed out
Edit 13: Removed insane (don't worry, I still have a backup just in case)
Edit 14: reduced slider tick rates on easy and normal, fixed spacing.

Download: DragonForce - Through The Fire And Flames (kingcobra52) [Insane].osu
LimeGreenTeknii
It was pretty good. Easy wasn't so easy, but then again, this is the hardest song on guitar hero.
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
Thanks, Kidwii. :)

I made some minor adjustments to Easy and Normal and made the intro on Insane easier. Be sure to update. ;)
LimeGreenTeknii
Okay.
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
Err...Anyone else have any comments? This is only my 2nd map so I'd really appreciate some feedback. :)
LuigiHann
Played through easy and normal, nothing jumped out at me as being bad. I like the sliders. I'll look over it more thoroughly when I have more time. :)
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
Thanks, Luigi!

I don't know if you noticed, but I just updated all the difficulties. I mainly added in beats in some places where there were none. Looking forward to your analysis. :)
Sparky_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann
Sorry for the delay.

I only have a couple issues, and I'm kind of torn on both of them.

First, you use a lot of short, repeating sliders. Those fit the theme really well, and I like how they sound, but it's almost impossible to tell when to stop holding them, especially when there are a bunch in a row, and they all seem to have a different number of repeats.

The other is that the stream at the beginning of Expert mode seems really overkill.

Still, those are both difficulty-based issues which I don't really feel comfortable making the call on. Timing and spacing are pretty good in all of them, so I'll give this a star and try to bug other mods into giving their opinion on the difficulty.

Also, minor qualm, but I'd love if one of those huge sliders was guitar-shaped :)
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
Thanks, Luigi.

I think I'm going to wait for someone else to comment before making any adjustments. I understand where you're going with the repeating sliders. Would it be better if they all of them were the same instead of me varying the lengths, or should they be taken out entirely?

As for the intro on expert, I could decrease the difficulty a bit, but since the song itself is notable for its difficulty in guitar hero (and I think stepmania), I want to make it hard enough so that anyone who wants to pass it has to work for it, even saturos. :P
awp
BPM: 199.97
Offset: 2,348

Just a tad off. It's difficult to time because of all the different things going on at once.

Easy:
Good job making an easy map on a European Flower-Power Metal track. Most people would go overboard. I should be criticizing you rather than simply saying "Good job" but that's really all I can do.

Normal:
03:17:94 (3,1,1) - Tricky, but not particularly problematic after your first time through.

Hard:
02:13:21 (6) - Snap it to the whole beat at 02:13:13.
03:17:94 (3,1,1,1,1) - oh rats combo breaker D= (ignore this)

Expert:
01:47:63 (5,6,7) - Beatspacing issue (6 is too close to 7 compared to the distance between 5 and 6)
01:50:03 (5,6,7) - Again, beatspacing issue
Honestly, I thought there'd be more notes. Like, quarter note streams. Might be too buttfucking hard to play it like that though =x Or too high of a score. It's worth a ton as it is because of those sliders. So I guess good call on that.
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
Thanks, awp.

I updated with all the fixes you mentioned above and adjusted the bpm/offset.

...but now I really don't know whether I should lighten the difficulty a bit or not. ><

I guess I'll bug burai or something else who's experienced and see. ;)
machol30
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
Ok, those errors should be corrected now. I even found some other spacing errors you didn't mention. ;)
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
Ok. Here's what I did.

I created a new 'expert' difficulty with most of the same beats as the old expert except:

1. the intro is toned down.
2. spacing is closer.
3. sliders are not as fast.
4. overall, not as hard, but still a challenge.

I haven't decided whether to replace this new difficulty with the old expert, so I instead renamed the old expert to insane and kept it for now. Do you think this should replace it, or should I have 5 difficulties? What do you guys think?
machol30
As I said on irc, it's fine by me if have five difficulties.
Insane is pretty insane and I want to pass this before it gets ranked.

Hard:
[02:00:41](8): closer to 7.
[02:25:16](7): new combo?

Easy:
[00:27:55](1): farther away from previous note.

Some other spacing issues, but they're very minor and most seem intended.

This map is crazy and just zips through almost the entire screen.
machol30
Going to bubble (having second thoughts because I think I may have overlooked somethings). You should probably go back and look through them all again, just to be safe and sure. Check for spacing inconsistencies. I may have come across some and then threw them off because they felt like they were meant to be there.
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
Ok. I believe everything is good to go on spacing. In case burai or someone else looks over this, I used 0.6 spacing on easy, normal, hard, and expert, and 0.9 for insane. (except for the intro, which is 0.6)

Quick question though, is the calculated maximum score in the editor include the difficulty bonus? If it doesn't, then I need to find some way to increase insane's max score so it won't be so close to expert methinks.
xerxes_oli
love it!!!!
awp
Expert
01:47:63 (5,6,7) - Beatspacing issue

imo you only need one of either Expert or Insane because they're so damn similar. Probably Expert because the beatspacing's friendlier <3
show more