forum

Placement accuracy MOD

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
Here's a feature idea that would make Osu! a lot more skill based than what it is already.

We all know that Osu! already scores a player on how accurate their timing is when playing a beatmap. I think it would be a good idea if there was a MOD that also scores a person on how accurately they can position the cursor over a hit circle when they click on it, and also how accurately the player can follow paths. With this MOD, the game cursor would resize itself to match that of the hit circle size for the beatmap you are playing, and you have to place the cursor as accurately as you can over the hit circle when clicking on it.

The MOD would provide quite a substantial boost in score for someone who gets close to 100% accuracy, however, here's the catch to using the MOD. Since anyone could just enable the MOD to get a boost in score over someone who hasn't used it, when this MOD is enabled a player would have a REDUCTION in score for playing badly with it. The worse a players placement accuracy is when playing a beatmap the more score they would lose. So obviously a MOD like this would only be useful for giving a boost in score for someone who is good with placement accuracy. :)
peppy
If this was to be a mod, the overall effect of getting perfect (within 1pixel) placement should be limited at 5-10% multiplier extra. This should rapidly fall-off to a decrease in order to not make this a permanently used mod. And I mean rapidly (maybe 5-6pixel radius).
Gemi
I'm not in favour of this mod, but if people want it implemented then it definitely should be like peppy said, ie it only boosts score on very great pixel accuracy.
Duoprism
I disagree with this mod. Hard rock pretty much does this and more. If this were to be implemented I'd limit it at most 6% more multipler when the player hits it perfectly.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

Reikin wrote:

I disagree with this mod. Hard rock pretty much does this and more. If this were to be implemented I'd limit it at most 6% more multipler when the player hits it perfectly.
How can you compare the hard rock MOD to this when the hard rock MOD doesn't make hit circles very tiny on all of the beatmaps? Also, with the hard rock MOD enabled you can hit the very edge of a hit circle and that would be classed as a perfect hit if your timing was good, where as with this MOD the mouse cursor would need to be as close to the center of the hit circle as possible to get a good placement accuracy score.
Gemi

adamskii_uk wrote:

Reikin wrote:

How can you compare the hard rock MOD to this when the hard rock MOD doesn't make hit circles very tiny on all of the beatmaps? Also, with the hard rock MOD enabled you can hit the very edge of a hit circle and that would be classed as a perfect hit if your timing was good, where as with this MOD the mouse cursor would need to be as close to the center of the hit circle as possible to get a good placement accuracy score.
It's not the same, but it has a bit of the same effect.
LuigiHann
Could be an unranked mode just for the heck of it. It would just tell you how precise you are.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

LuigiHann wrote:

Could be an unranked mode just for the heck of it. It would just tell you how precise you are.
I guess that would be okay. I just want some feedback on my cursor placement accuracy when playing beatmaps with larger hit circles and sliders. :)
GSGold
I would like this.
LuigiHann
In fact, it wouldn't even need to be unranked, just un-rewarded, like Sudden Death mode.
Saturos

LuigiHann wrote:

In fact, it wouldn't even need to be unranked, just un-rewarded, like Sudden Death mode.
In which case it should just be something that's tracked and shown near the scoreboard by default, with tab to shown/hide.

Though I don't see a reason to have this. >>
Gemi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Saturos

Gemi wrote:

We could introduce a new advanced score screen (accessible through a button on the basic score screen) which would allow to display stuff like this that isn't too important, but might be fun. For example average of the pixel amount that you miss the center of the circle by, average milli second amount that you miss the exact hit moment by, etc.
Now this I'd find interesting. ;x
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

Gemi wrote:

We could introduce a new advanced score screen (accessible through a button on the basic score screen) which would allow to display stuff like this that isn't too important, but might be fun. For example average of the pixel amount that you miss the center of the circle by, average milli second amount that you miss the exact hit moment by, etc.
I like the sound of that. Forget the MOD idea like I originally suggested, we need an advanced score screen instead. ;)

The advanced score screen could provide a very detailed analysis of how well a person played on a beatmap, such as providing information for all of the hit circles, sliders and spinners. This could include information such as hit and placement accuracy for every note on the beatmap, and could also show the highest speed you have reached with a spinner (RPM). For the note information, we could either choose to view a graph or a list of values that scroll down a page. Each note would also be time stamped to indicate where in the beatmap it was played, so if you have a run of badly timed and missed notes, you'll know exactly what time into the beatmap the mistakes had occured. Also, it would be a good idea if a person could double click on any of the notes that's in the list and the replay for the beatmap will play back at the exact point that you clicked on. :)
Gemi

adamskii_uk wrote:

and could also show the highest speed you have reached with a spinner (RPM).
One good addition.

adamskii_uk wrote:

For the note information, we could either choose to view a graph or a list of values that scroll down a page.
Imo a list of each note would be too much. Simple graphs that show accuracy in terms of 300/100/50/miss, accuracy in terms of pixels and accuracy in terms of time (shows how many ms before or after you hit) are enough. The graphs are good since they let you easily see if you have timing or placement problems in certain parts of the maps. A list with a few hundred lines of numbers is no help at all.