forum

RPM counters for spinners [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
Whilst replying in another thread yesterday I came across this idea. I think it would be useful if we had RPM counters for spinners on a beatmap, so we can keep track on how fast we are going with them. The RPM counters would display the current, average and maximum speeds obtained for a spinner. I've attached an image below to give a rough idea on how these RPM counters could be displayed. :)

Rolled
Looks a bit out of place, but a cool idea none the less. Perhaps this could be added into test mode with all of the other statistics, but that is out of place as well. It would just be a little fun fact and would be cool to compare numbers and such.
Gemi
Well the average and top rpm of the map were suggested to be added to the suggested advanced score screen so I'm not sure if we actually need those in the game. It would be sort of cool though.
peppy
I like this. Might even add it tonight.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

Gemi wrote:

Well the average and top rpm of the map were suggested to be added to the suggested advanced score screen so I'm not sure if we actually need those in the game. It would be sort of cool though.
Yes, but we would only be able to view these RPM stats after we have finished playing the beatmap, but with these counters we can see the RPM speed in realtime whilst playing. It's often quite difficult to judge how fast I'm going with spinners since spinner lengths are different for each beatmap, and the vertical bars take longer to reach the top on some spinners than others.

Once I get an 'S' or 'SS' rank on a beatmap I consider it done, then I move on to the next beatmap that I haven't completed yet. Since spinner lengths and scores are different for every beatmap I play, it's difficult to judge if my spinner skills are improving, staying the same, or getting worse. The three realtime RPM counters like I suggested would help me keep track of my spinner speeds whilst I am playing on any beatmap. Then if I see that my RPM is a little low than usual whilst doing a spinner, I can then put a little more effort into my spinning to get a higher score. :)

peppy wrote:

I like this. Might even add it tonight.
Awesome. :D
Gemi
True, all that you said.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
I've made a slight alteration to the design of how the RPM counters could be displayed. I think the RPM counters look much better grouped together with a transparent box surrounding them like in the image below. I think the transparent box should be white as default to fit in with all themes, and maybe options be added to allow a person to change the colour and transparency level of the surrounding box. :)

What do you think?

peppy

adamskii_uk wrote:

What do you think?
Input appreciated but final design will be whatever I feel fits right, and I don't agree with the red border or the font. The box seems ok, but will be smaller and hug the bottom of the screen.

In short leave it up to me.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

peppy wrote:

adamskii_uk wrote:

What do you think?
Input appreciated but final design will be whatever I feel fits right, and I don't agree with the red border or the font. The box seems ok, but will be smaller and hug the bottom of the screen.

In short leave it up to me.
Yes, sure. :)

The font was just picked at random in photoshop and so was the red outline, I never really put much thought into choosing the style. I just wanted to give you an idea on where the RPM counters could be positioned without them cluttering up the screen.

Obviously the final design is upto you, and as long as we get the RPM feature then I'm very happy regardless of what it may look like. ;)
peppy
Added this to the latest test build. Settled for one number as having all three is a bit pointless (especially current vs average). Max spinner rate will be in the extended statistics.
Gemi

peppy wrote:

Added this to the latest test build. Settled for one number as having all three is a bit pointless (especially current vs average). Max spinner rate will be in the extended statistics.
Only having the average seems a bit weird actually. If you only have one then it should definitely be the current rpm, since that's what one would intitively wait for and it's the one that I think is more important. Atleast I am interested in seeing when my rpm is going down slowly in longer spinners so I know when to pay more attention to my spinning technique.

Anyway, thanks for the addition, and the visual style is great!
peppy
I might weight the average a touch, then. After all, "current rpm" IS in fact an average, as it can't be instantaneous (you won't be able to read it).
Gemi
A heavily weighted rpm sounds ok. It should probably be a short time average so that it doesn't stay up when one stops spinning in the middle of a spinner for example.