forum

Victims of Science - The Device Has Been Modified

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
altruisticcrono
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Friday, July 25, 2008 at 7:08:47 PM

Artist: Victims of Science
Title: The Device Has Been Modified
BPM: 130
Filesize: 3715kb
Play Time: 02:21
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1.42 stars, 94 notes)
  2. Normal (3.28 stars, 187 notes)
  3. Hard (4.73 stars, 286 notes)
Download: Victims of Science - The Device Has Been Modified
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Here is the long awaited Portal Remix created by Victims of Science.

Thanks for reviewing! ^.^

=============
History
=============
07-02-2008
>Changed BPM to 130.00 and Offset to 15,690
>Resnapped and Recalculated

07-11-2008
>Recreated Easy and Normal Difficulties

07-16-2008
>Hard Difficulty Completed

7-25-2008
>Started a new combo in Easy as per Buraimaster ;p
machol30
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
altruisticcrono
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
MaybeLater_x
I liked the question mark.

Normal
01:04:00 - the 5 should be closer to the 4.
01:05:00 - the 3 should be closer to the 2.
02:08:74 - the 1 and the 2 need to be further apart.
Topic Starter
altruisticcrono

MaybeLater_x wrote:

I liked the question mark.

Normal
01:04:00 - the 5 should be closer to the 4.
01:05:00 - the 3 should be closer to the 2.
02:08:74 - the 1 and the 2 need to be further apart.
New upload!

Yes, it feels better with your changes. I also made similar space changes with the Hard difficulty. A full combo nets a little over 1.5 mil points. :)

Second Edit:
Oi! This map took far longer than I ever imaged, but I updated Easy again to make it... easier. I've noticed that beat spacing is pretty important for easy 300's.

==========

I re-uploaded this Beatmap to contain the related game name. Refer to the newer one until this thread gets merged/deleted.
Topic Starter
altruisticcrono
Mods: Please delete or merge the duplicate thread. The song title now contains the related video game for easier song searching.
Gemi
I had my hopes up when I downloaded this song since a friend of mine has recently done a great set of charts for dance games to this song. These beatmaps however didn't rise to that level, to my disappointment. I'll offer you more of my views tomorrow after sleeping (or whenever I rememer to, knowing my bad memory), but here is some feedback that doesn't require much from my sleepy mind.

* Circle colors don't match with the background.
* The background is fitting, but I think a darker one would fit the mood of the song better.
* Some sliders in the middle didn't seem to follow music at all. (all difficulties)
* Slider velocity was too small on normal and possibly on hard too.
MaxwellDemon
Looks good so far, it's a good thing you noticed the effect of beat spacing. :)
However, it is still inconsistency unfortunately. :(
The best way to handle this issue is to turn on distance snap (hold alt and adjust the slider bar on the top right to adjust the distance between beats) and just move the beats around then. :)

Beat-wise looks good however!

Just fix up the small inconsistency, I'll put a bubble in it... but for now, starred. :3
Topic Starter
altruisticcrono

Gemi wrote:

I had my hopes up when I downloaded this song since a friend of mine has recently done a great set of charts for dance games to this song. These beatmaps however didn't rise to that level, to my disappointment. I'll offer you more of my views tomorrow after sleeping (or whenever I rememer to, knowing my bad memory), but here is some feedback that doesn't require much from my sleepy mind.

* Circle colors don't match with the background.
* The background is fitting, but I think a darker one would fit the mood of the song better.
* Some sliders in the middle didn't seem to follow music at all. (all difficulties)
* Slider velocity was too small on normal and possibly on hard too.
Hmm...

Before I go back and distance snap all my notes, I'll wait for your input. Didn't like the patterns? :o

Although the beat colors can be found in the background (except the blue on Hard), I'm open to ideas.
Gemi
Okay, here's some more input.

Circle size: On easy reduce size by one tick, on normal by two ticks.
Circle colors: I'd use the following 4 colors (given as red,green,blue values) 192,200,40 | 115,77,77 | 115,115,115 | 128,128,64

After this there are the rhythms, beat spacing and hit sounds. I wont touch beat spacing or hit sounds for now. Let's see other stuff fixed first.

Easy:

1:00:68 (5): I think this should start at 1:00:92 and end just where it ends now. Tecnically it is correct as is, but it just isn't fun.
1:03:45 (3): Move this slider start to 1:03:22 and keep the slider length as is.
1:04:15: Add a hit circle here.
1:04:61: Add one more repeat to this slider.

Then comes the slowdown, where it's risky to follow the lyrics since they are so offsync. My friend avoided this problem by following the bells on the background, but you pulled this off pretty well with only a couple of small timing issues.

1:16:38-1:20:07 (1-3): This doesn't work at all. Redo it so that stuff actually hits the vocals.
1:24:91 (4): This starts and ends just a bit too early.
1:37:84 (3): This ends just a bit too late.
1:39:22: Place a hit circle here for the "Do you". Check that

2:12:45 (1): Move the start of the slider to 2:12:68. Keep the ending where it is.

Normal and hard:

I'll update on these later.

Topic Starter
altruisticcrono

Gemi wrote:

Okay, here's some more input.

Circle size: On easy reduce size by one tick, on normal by two ticks.
Circle colors: I'd use the following 4 colors (given as red,green,blue values) 192,200,40 | 115,77,77 | 115,115,115 | 128,128,64

After this there are the rhythms, beat spacing and hit sounds. I wont touch beat spacing or hit sounds for now. Let's see other stuff fixed first.

Easy:

1:00:68 (5): I think this should start at 1:00:92 and end just where it ends now. Tecnically it is correct as is, but it just isn't fun.
1:03:45 (3): Move this slider start to 1:03:22 and keep the slider length as is.
1:04:15: Add a hit circle here.
1:04:61: Add one more repeat to this slider.

Then comes the slowdown, where it's risky to follow the lyrics since they are so offsync. My friend avoided this problem by following the bells on the background, but you pulled this off pretty well with only a couple of small timing issues.

1:16:38-1:20:07 (1-3): This doesn't work at all. Redo it so that stuff actually hits the vocals.
1:24:91 (4): This starts and ends just a bit too early.
1:37:84 (3): This ends just a bit too late.
1:39:22: Place a hit circle here for the "Do you". Check that

2:12:45 (1): Move the start of the slider to 2:12:68. Keep the ending where it is.

Normal and hard:

I'll update on these later.
I made your changes this afternoon for Easy. It hardly even looks like my original anymore (since I distance snapped all notes), but it plays far better now. It has a new background and even has a surprise for you... *hint* it involves cake. :)

I'll upload it a bit later when I finish the last part.
Topic Starter
altruisticcrono
Okay... I think my beatmaps are ready for another mod review. All notes have been spaced at 1x and only one part is it snapped to 1.5x
Topic Starter
altruisticcrono
Bump. :?
Dranoel
I don't know where the mods are. They seem to be missing.
James
machol30
Easy:
01:16:49 (11) - new combo

Normal: no comment.

Hard: Love it! :)

I didn't really like Easy or Normal. Hard was really good though. :P
James
because you only play hard maps :P
Topic Starter
altruisticcrono

buraimaster1234 wrote:

Easy: