forum

The Postal Service - Such Great Heights

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ichikam
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Sunday, 13 July 2008 at 9:09:32 PM

Artist: The Postal Service
Title: Such Great Heights
BPM: 87.48
Filesize: 14811kb
Play Time: 02:28
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1.51 stars, 162 notes)
  2. Normal (2.93 stars, 221 notes)
  3. Hard (4.52 stars, 332 notes)
Download: The Postal Service - Such Great Heights
Download: The Postal Service - Such Great Heights (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
My first beatmap, advice appreciated.

Edit: Implemented suggested fixes.
Edit2: Hard difficulty added.
Edit3: Changed some spacings on hard difficulty
Edit4: File sizes decreased, spacing changes made on all difficulties, hard difficulty partly redone.
Edit5: Made further spacing and slider changes.
Edit6: Major changes to spacing in all difficulties.
[deleted user]
hi, i love this song! :) nice work!
machol30
Hello, and welcome ichikam and elleryjayne. And before I say anything else, congrats on your first map. ;)

I feel that your timing is slightly off. Do you agree with BPM 87.48? Just -.02 :P

I will start off with Easy.
[00:30:17](1): too far from 8.
[00:45:26](4,5): inconsistent spacing with rest of the combo.
[00:51:09](10,11,12): bring closer to 9.
[01:02:75](9,1): quite a stretch there.
[01:07:21](3,4,5,6,7): bring all these together more. They're too far apart.
[01:16:47](2): Bring closer to 1 a little.
[01:22:30](5,1,2): move to the right a small amount. (this applies to Normal as well)
[02:17:86](3,4,5,1): bring all these together more. They're too far apart.
(some of these apply to Normal as well)
and also on Normal:
[02:08:77](1): should begin at 02:08:94.

Well, the only real problem I see are that some combos and spacing are sometimes misleading (mainly spacing). Try and use distance snap as a guide. You can also adjust distance snap by holding down alt key.

I will look into this more thoroughly once you get some fixes. It's a good first attempt at making a beatmap, in my opinion. ;)
Topic Starter
ichikam
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
Congratulations on your first map.

After the changes burai mentioned, easy is mostly fine now. A few minor changes:
01:13:72 (8,1) - add a bit more space between these as it is confusing at the moment
01:25:04 (5,1) - these two should be closer together

Normal:
Plays pretty well.
00:32:57 (4,5,1,2) - good to avoid overlap like this - it makes it hard to see where the next notes are and less enjoyable to play
00:51:09 (6,7) - spacing
01:04:47 (1,2) - bit more spacing too
01:08:58 (7,1) - also a good idea to increase spacing

Hard:
Plays quite well, but there are still a few bits that feel a bit too normal and not enough hard, for example the majority of the chorus at 01:25:04.
I think you should also turn up the slider tick rate to double maybe.

Have you tried turning on "distance snapping"? Even if you don't use it always, it is a very good guide for beat spacing.

Also, if you don't plan mapping the rest of the song, it would be a good idea to cut the video and the mp3 to save on filesize. I can help with this if you need it.

Now that we have a full array of difficulties this definitely deserves a star. Keep up the good work and this is on the path to ranking.
Topic Starter
ichikam
Thanks again for the advice. I will be making more changes tonight.

As for distance snapping, I admit I've only started using it more as I spent more time on this, so it should be more evident on Hard. I'll go back through the other diffiiculties and change a few spacings.

Just wondering, when I cut down the video and song, will I have to do a full resubmit of the beatmap?

Thanks again for your help.
machol30
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
ichikam
to me the tempo seemed fine at 87.48 with the previous audio track. if i can't get the offset right i'm going to resubmit with the original audio.

also, what you suggest at "Normal [00:36:35](2,3): closer to 4" goes against what the distance snap suggests.

i have made the changes to the slider lengths, they should all be fine now.
peppy
I guess you swapped back to the original mp3, as when I checked this today it seems to be the same as before. Not a big deal though. Current timing does sound fine.

I agree with burai about spacing though - its a bit non-intuitive still.
Topic Starter
ichikam
i reverted back to the original audio to fix the timing issue.
i've adhered to all the spacing suggestsions that have been given, i'm somewhat at a loss as to what needs to be done next.
Topic Starter
ichikam
*bump*
Ivalset
Bubbling this. Each map looks to be quality to me.
Topic Starter
ichikam
*bump?* :oops:
peppy
No problems here. Nice range of difficulties!

Ranked. Hope to see more to come :).
Cyclone
Eh, i'm afraid to change this offset since peppy ranked it... but uh.. +20-25 ms offset is needed...
Cyclone
Cyclone
More checking done and changed to +24ms.