forum

Addition of a new rank

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Gemi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
Listening for the sound of LH cringing

I wouldn't really mind skinning a new rank myself so I'm not going to argue it.
LuigiHann
Luigi cringes not at the thought of skinning a new rank, but because S ranks are hard enough to attain for a middle-range player like me. Plus the full score breakdown is visible for anyone to see, so it's not like we need more interim trophies.
Topic Starter
Gemi

LuigiHann wrote:

but because S ranks are hard enough to attain for a middle-range player like me.
Yeah, this is more of an encouragement for the more accurate players, and if you don't happen to be that accurate then you wont see any effects with this. If S rank is hard enough for you, then that is what motivates you to get better, but for players who get an S easily a new rank between S and SS what would keep us motivated to get better at songs, since SS is too big of a jump, requiring a flawless run of the song.

LuigiHann wrote:

Plus the full score breakdown is visible for anyone to see, so it's not like we need more interim trophies.
When scrolling through online score lists for songs in the game I don't spend time to stop my cursor over every S score just to see if it's a crappy S with some 50's and lots of 100's or if it's S with just one, two or three 100's.

The reason why I suggested adding only one rank instead of a system with lots of top level ranks is that I want to keep the game a bit more relaxed than some other rhythm games that I play. Having lots of ranks in the manner of In The Groove does keep players training and training all the time, but for osu it suits better to have a bit limited amount of higher ranks to keep the relaxed atmoshpere. And since there are so many ranked songs and more are coming all the time no one really has the time to whore each song dozens of times to get that *** rank like they have with ITG where the song list is much more limited (130 or so songs by default).

As a real life example I'll use myself. Currently most of my scores are S, 200+ S ranks at the moment. When I scroll through the song list I look for songs that I could improve so much that it affects either my ranked score or my accuracy. Now when I see an S I usually just move on since that S could be very close to a SS and therefor the possible improvement might be so tiny that it isn't worth the time I would have to spend with the song to improve on the sscore. Of course it's not always the case, but checking the actual judgement spread on each song takes a lot of time from my precious playing, so I just rather scroll forward to look for songs with an A-D or no score at all. This difference between time usage for just scrolling and scrolling+checking judgements for each song will grow even more with the next public update where the achieved rank is shown in the song wheel. After that I don't even need to hit enter on each song to see the ranking list, I can just quickly scroll through the whole list. Now if S+ rank was implemented I could ignore all SS and S+ scores and concentrate on songs that have S-D on them, instead of the current situation where I ignore SS and S and only concentrate on songs with A-D.