forum

Basement Jaxx VS The Clash - Magnificient Romeo

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Numbers_old
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on den 14 juli 2008 at 13:55:07

Artist: Basement Jaxx VS The Clash
Title: Magnificent Romeo
BPM: 124
Filesize: 4111kb
Play Time: 01:59
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1,85 stars, 169 notes)
  2. Normal (3,87 stars, 240 notes)
Download: Basement Jaxx VS The Clash - Magnificent Romeo
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is one great mash-up bootleg. It's a mix of Basement Jaxx - Romeo and The Clash - Magnificient Seven.
Basically old-school punk (though this particular song is inspired by american hip-hop,Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five, the Sugar Hill Gang and that sort of old-school. Basement Jaxx is dancey house music. I like this mash-up alot. With the normal difficulty I am extremely happy, it fits the song perfectly. I did make it accesible for new-comers in easy, and it is on beat but I'm afraid the song is a bit too repetitive to tolerate the missing beats in easy mode. But, that is for newcomers to decide upon. Reason for not making a hard is basically that I doubt I could do it good (FUN) as I just recently started playing hard maps. Need to better understand the mechanics about what makes certain hard maps heaps of fun and others just annoying. Many thanks to Maxwelldemon, Ivalset and Sinistro for helping me with completing this one, and warlockiecheesie for giving me the heads up about the wrong name for the song. The hardest part with making this, was no doubt the BSS system for me. (Don't ask...)

With all that said, I leave it to you guys. Cheers! (not sure, but I do suppose sinistros star still counts)

Download: Basement Jaxx VS The Clash - Magnificient Romeo (Soulwax Remix).osz
Ivalset
Timing:
There are three (with a possible fourth) timing points needed at
Offset 1,844

Offset 21,343

Offset 62,080

Notes should be aligned in the timeline so that they generally fall on the lines (which correspond to the timing just set). A fourth timing section may be needed around 2:20 depending on how much you map.
Topic Starter
Numbers_old
ivalset, huge many awesome thanks!
Could I just pose a question about the Offset 21,343. Not sure if I added it in the wrong place (Prior to the red 123 4 5 at 24secs in) or if it's just me being used to the wrong bpm or/and offset. Everything else sounds ace, or shall i say clicks ace. Just not sure it's the placement or me that is in error here.

I think even I might get a SS on this map eventually ;)

hohohoho!

Oh, while I'm add it. (This is directed to loiterers and passersbys). How do you feel about the beat patterns? Ok? Fun? Boring? Stupid? Obnoxious? Charming? Future spouse material? Or simply, fantasticle!
MaxwellDemon
Sorry it took me awhile! Let's get working. :)

Normal

00:13:45 (6) - Extend slider to 00:14:90
Beats after 00:21:34 are snapped to blue ticks after the timing change. :(
I don't think your song need any blue ticks. :/

Fix that, and I'll take another look at it. XD
Topic Starter
Numbers_old
After the timing change I had the beats follow the blue ticks for two patterns. 1234 blue 123 4 5 red. I had them follow the white ticks after that. My ear tells me to stick with the blue ticks. It just sounds weird if I don't do so. Maybe there is need for yet another timing point there. or the offset is a bit off? I really can't tell, I do not really understand the offset science yet.

(Turns out, my game options were way off)

What do you think about it now? I changed the difficulty to easy, there's a constant flow of beats making it a harder easy, but still. It is easy, not alot of surprises in it. Wouldn't dare to call it normal. Still trying to think how to up the difficulty level on this one though. Ideas are most welcomed.
Ivalset
Okay, it really doesn't help that I'm so terrible at timing.

Try these points out and readjust, makes everything sound fine to my ears and lets beats fall on their lovely white lines.

BPM:124 Offset:1,841ms
BPM:124 Offset:21,248ms
BPM:124 Offset:25,138ms
BPM:124 Offset:31,020ms
BPM:124 Offset:64,004ms
Topic Starter
Numbers_old
Adjusted accordingly as to Ivalsets advice (Which is, alot better than he/she thinks)
Worked my way through the song a bit more. Soon it will all be mapped, but there's still plenty adjustments I'm planning on making to get the beat patterns more intuitive (Will also try to bring the fun back into funfusing). The difficulty level on this is killing me. Changed it to Normal once again. Can't effing decide which way to go. I know it's supposed to be the level of the set, but still... x_x Oh ok. fine. A quick break, then I'll see if I can hunt som prey on the multiplayer. BESOS! I think there are some issues in the end of the song, just can't be arsed to investigate right now. Tomorrow!
CheeseWarlock
One thing: the title and the artist are backwards.
Topic Starter
Numbers_old
After investigating this claim, I found it to be more than backwards actually.
Had it for so long, always thought it was one of those secretive Kurtis Rush tracks.
Correct name for the tune seems to be Basement Jaxx vs. The Clash - Magnificent Romeo (Soulwax remix) according to 2 Many DJ's website. So I guess I'll stick with that in the future. Get your tagger on! Cheers for bringing this to my attention tho!
Sinistro
00:36:82 (1) - Shorten 1/4.
Last section currently timed sounds much better with an offset of 63,976.
Possibly small adjustments needed to the offset of the other sections, but it's late, so I may edit this post later.

This probably deserves a star.
Topic Starter
Numbers_old
I do suck very very much at using the beatmap submission system. Correct file for now. This is the proper beatmap, updated with Sinistros last fixes also I have mapped it to the end now. Download: Basement Jaxx VS The Clash - Magnificient Romeo (Soulwax Remix).osz
I have no idea how to update this properly anymore, it says in the editor that the map isn't even submitted at all. Anyone got a crash course in BSS? Sorry for the messy mess.

Could anyone check if there's anything wrong with the song from 1:33 to 2:00. I think it may be time to place a new offset there but I'm really not certain. I tend to score more 100ds there, which for me indicates that something is wrong. If it's due to my playing or my mapping I can't say. So I need others input on this.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.
BanchoBot