forum

How to properly support Linux and Macs [answered] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
Hello Peppy and anyone else working on Osu!, it's been a while.

I've switched from Windows (Windoze) to Ubuntu, a Linux-based system, and noticed an incredible leap in stability. Now I feel that the only program I really miss is Osu!.

Ubuntu and Macs have a library available called Wine that runs Windoze programs on Linux/Mac systems. However, it doesn't have a very good port of DirectX.

So, naturally, when I install and start Osu!, it says I don't have shader support, even though my hardware definitely does. This is because Linux and Mac systems don't use DX, we use OpenGL.

But ATI, them geniuses, created a simple method of switching the render to OpenGL without any experience in it:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hlsl2glsl

This is pretty much an SL for OpenGL, as compared to DX's HLSL. The syntax for almost all commands is the same, and OpenGL works on Windoze, Mac, Linux, and virtually every OS that it can be run on.

This way, it will work on Linux and Macs without totally recompiling the game, right? :)
peppy
While this is helpful for rewriting the shader effects, it doesn't solve the full problem. Think of the HLSL code as the tip of the iceberg which is the large problem. Adding OpenGL support means rewriting a fair portion of code, but has not been ruled out. If you look into previous posts we have already looked at this and it is on the list of things to be done.

Thanks for trying, but this won't really be useful, as when I move osu! to support GL, it will not require any shaders. This is because I don't want to simply provide opengl support with this move, but also support for PCs which can't necessarily process hardware shader code at all.