forum

Donell Jones - Better Start Talking Ft. Jermaine Dupri

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Detective Tuesday
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 at 5:45:40 PM

Artist: Donell Jones
Title: Better Start Talking Ft. Jermaine Dupri
BPM: 95
Filesize: 5895kb
Play Time: 03:55
Difficulties Available:
  1. Insane (4.83 stars, 666 notes)
Download: Donell Jones - Better Start Talking Ft. Jermaine Dupri
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is my first beatmap, so far only supporting Insane mode. I'll work on the other charts when I get a spare minute here or there. I also plan to add the music video, and MAYBE vary the tap sounds here or there

Any feedback would be appreciated. I've only had the program for about 3 days so I'm just kind of figuring everything out as I go.
MaxwellDemon
Alright, first is first...

Offset to 188... make sure all the beats are snapped into place... and stuff. :P

Beatwise, this is very good! You seem to know what you are doing with the divisors and everything. :)
So, I have no complains where you place your beats.

However, I do have an issue with your beat spacing, if you are not sure what beat spacing is... this bit of the FAQ should describe it clearly (it also has a picture too): http://osu.ppy.sh/index.php?p=faq#BM8
If you still do not understand after reading that bit, turn on beat spacing and move your beats around. You'll see that the beats will vary in distance that'll match with the time interval between them.

Speaking about time interval, for myself, I am not exactly a big fan of stacks that have notes stacked in different time intervals (like 03:50:87). However, this is a matter of personal preferences. I just think it isn't very "fair" to the players. ;)

Since this song is pretty long (4 minutes), it is probably a good thing if you put a break or two in there for the players. This is also something to consider. :)

Other than these issues however, you are on the right track! Comparing your beats to these issues, the issues are slightly minor. Just fix these issues, follow the guidelines, make a normal/easy difficulty, your map is probably rankable. :)
Topic Starter
Detective Tuesday
Thanks a lot! I wasn't really thinking about putting any breaks in before, but now that I play through the song again, there are a couple of spots that can surely be breaks.

Also, that bit about beat-spacing has realllly helped me show more restraint =P. I was working on a few more songs with that in mind. One thing, though, is that there are times where I'll purposely stray from beat-spacing to put emphasis on a specific note. Even so, I'll still try to keep the whole thing a bit more reasonable in that regard when I get to editing it.

So again, thanks a lot. You've given me a good sense of what the standards are. Later in the year when all of my maps are like, totally the hottest shhh out, I'll share the props =P.