forum

"Metal Gear Solid" Main Theme [UPDATE]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Koopser
Hi! I discovered OSU! today, and as a great fan of Ouendan, I liked this game a lot!

So...I tried to mess with the Beatmap editor a little and did the Main Theme used in metal Gear Solid 2. I know that it probably have a lot of flaws, so tips and comments would be great. I hope you enjoy:

http://peppy.chigau.com/files/MGS.osz
Update: New cut of the song, and new link
Hitoshirenu Shourai
The timing is a bit off, but the beat placement isn't bad at all. You have sensible placement on the timeline for the song, but it's just a bit off. Pretty good for your first attempt, at least.
Extor
Hi!

You should check the BPM/offset of this beatmap. From what I can see, it's faster than it should, but I don't know if it changes in the intermissions or not, you should check that too.

Remember to resnap everything after a change, and see if your sliders have a tick in the end, if that happens, move it a bit to adjust it.

Cya!
Topic Starter
Koopser
I think that my main problem is the Offset...

Well, tried to fix it and readjusted the beats. Let's see if it's any better XD
peppy
Timing feels alright, but I almost fell asleep during those break periods :cry:. Then the song repeated itself too! You might want to cut the repeat out, since its basically the same thing over.

Good beat placement though - feels very.. correct!
Topic Starter
Koopser
Well, I cut the LONG boring part of the song. Let's see now XD

http://peppy.chigau.com/files/MGS.osz
Gilrad
My only complaint is how the beat placement and the beat timing doesn't match up. You have groups of three beats, each one exactly the same distance as the other, but they aren't all the same distance apart as far as timing is concerned.

I'm not saying you have to make the playing space and timing correspond on a 1:1 ratio, but setting apart the odd notes from the notes that have a similar beat value would make it much easier to visualize.
Topic Starter
Koopser

Gilrad wrote:

My only complaint is how the beat placement and the beat timing doesn't match up. You have groups of three beats, each one exactly the same distance as the other, but they aren't all the same distance apart as far as timing is concerned.

I'm not saying you have to make the playing space and timing correspond on a 1:1 ratio, but setting apart the odd notes from the notes that have a similar beat value would make it much easier to visualize.
Oops, you're right, I forgot to adjust that after some changes.

Download: TAPPY, Harry Gregson-Williams - Metal Gear Solid Main Theme (Koopser) [Normal].osu
peppy
Bumping because this is fixed and I approve. I think we can rank this, no?
awp
I've only got one issue with this. The spot in the middle of the song with the four spinners in a row (I'm pretty sure it's four!) it just seemed so uneventful and boring compared to the rest of the song. The song itself is quite a beautiful, epic piece and you've somehow managed to convert that grandiose feeling into a .osz file, but the quad-spinner was just a bit too boring to me. Perhaps merge the first two and last two spinners so there's only two spinners, and possibly add something else in between?

I don't much like the parts where I'm not playing in this song specifically more than others because of how engrossing the orchestra is...still, not much you can do about some of those spots. A real quiet slider maybe, I dunno. But I'd really like to see the spinner issue addressed because the beatmap is simply wonderful.
eyup
Oh, awp beat me to it!

Yeah, this song needs a LOT more work. The timing is still totally off, even after the fixes. The four spinners are pretty unimaginative. And the way you cut the mp3 sounds really bad - at least blend the two parts together or something...

I do love this song (it's been on my playlist for a while now!) so I would love to see it ranked sometime. But needs some TLC before that can happen. Good luck!
Zallius

awp wrote:

I've only got one issue with this. The spot in the middle of the song with the four spinners in a row
I agree with awp on this one the spinners make things a tad dull and repedetive. Following the main theme/tune with the beats is a great idea and while simple, does in fact add quite a challenge for players on those faster sections and I believe timing is quite allot better with the updated beatmap.

I would find this beatmap allot more smoother if the "overall difficulty" was lowered just a tad to give just a bit more length to beat sequences, they run by a little fast and even with improved timing its quite hard to complete combo's perfectly.
Topic Starter
Koopser
I limited the spinners to 1 now and added beats and sliders to that segment.

And about the cut...unfortunately, that's the best I can do with things I have here. I could try to fix it...but it may come out worse ._.

And about timing...yeah...I'm feeling that it's kinda off sometimes, and it seems that I can't get this one right, it's kinda difficult.

I would find this beatmap allot more smoother if the "overall difficulty"
I lowered it a bit. I guess it's better now.

Download: TAPPY, Harry Gregson-Williams - Metal Gear Solid Main Theme (Koopser) [Normal].osu