forum

Lyrics or melody?

posted
Total Posts

When listening to music, which do you listen to more?

Lyrics, it's gotta have the right words or else I'm not into it.
0.00%
Melody, what matters most is how good it sounds.
68.18%
Both about the same, depends on the song.
31.82%
Total votes: 22
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
I'm more into the melody myself. 8-)

What about you guys?
Saturos
Melody. But if the vocalist is horrible, I don't listen to it either way.
awp

Saturos wrote:

Mogsy

Saturos wrote:

This holds true to me if there is vocals. I listen to a LOT of instrumental stuff, though.
awp
No vocals means no horrible vocals, ergo I felt no need to include that, myself.

I listen to plenty of instrumental stuff - not a lot of EXPLICITLY instrumental stuff (just a couple bands) but Dream Theater loves their 10 minute instrumental on any given album so yeah
Snipe_old
Melody however if the persons voice is enough to make me want to listen to another band I will so it depends on both
James
melody. especially on j-songs and other songs that i cant understand.
Sinistro
Mostly melody, since I often can't be bothered to make out the lyrics. Also <3 instrumentals, soundtracks and theme music in general.
Numbers_old
Depends on the song, always. Some songs just brutally take you by force with having an easy melodic upbeat charm, this goes for both music and the vocal melody. The combination of both tends to stay with you as "HITS". For upbeat happy songs I don't really care about the words at all, and usually I'm quite right in doing so since the words of these songs lack alot of power (generic piss ass poor lyrics).

But for some songs, the music dissapears and the lyrics IS the song itself. These are the personal songs, everyone has them. Different persons needs different songs. Sometimes the songs in the "piss ass poor lyrics" category crawl themselves in to this area, but it's rare for me. The ones with the easy melodic upbeat charm and personally satisfying lyrics are neat, I want more of those but they're hard because the state of ones mind must be in synchronisation with the song, and that's not forcable, I hand it down to luck for achieving this result.

blah blah, SHUT UP NUMBERS!
Loginer

Saturos wrote:

QFT.
Slain087
For me, it's dependent on the song. I listen to pure instrumental pieces a lot, but if it so happens that I have a vocal version of the song, then I listen to the lyrics. Regardless of whether I can understand the lyrics or not.
Potestas
Always melody. Good lyrics can benefit certain song though.
lukewarmholiday
After looking at the poll results I scratch my head on how rap became popular.
awp

lukewarmholiday wrote:

After looking at the poll results I scratch my head on how rap became popular.
Rap doesn't have lyrics or melody.

Besides, we don't represent the demograph of typical rap enthusiasts. That's probably why.
Loginer
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.