forum

Olympic Green

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[deleted user]

The 19-year-old twin sisters, Li Xiaohua(left) and Li Zihua pose for photographers at the campus of Beijing Changping Vocational School. 337 volunteres gathered here to be trained for serving Olympic rewarding ceremony.

Twin sisters attend 2007 China Automobile Model Contest in Changsha, capital city of Hunan Province.

Twin sisters participate in the Southern Airline's stewardess enrollment contest.

Information taken from:
http://news.chinaassistor.com/BeijingOlympics/2008/0715/Twin_sisters_selected_as_ritual_girls_for_Olympics_10431_3.html
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
My name is Wei Yongkun. I am 26 and I work in Guiyang, the capital city of Guizhou Province. I’ve been a sports fan since I was a child. I am also fascinated by stamps. In 1992 I started collecting sports stamps; among them, Olympic stamps are my favorite. This hobby is what has connected me with sports, especially with the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, which will be held in less than 70 days. I am honored that I can be an Olympic Torch Relay torchbearer and a volunteer during the Olympics in August.

I started collecting stamps at a young age, especially those about sports events held in China and abroad. Among my collection are stamps from all the Olympics Games – stamps that, though small, reflect the Olympic spirit.

I use stamps to express my love for the Olympics

On the eve of the Barcelona Games in 1992, I came across an article in a stamp collecting magazine about the stamps of the Barcelona Olympics and those promoted in China’s bid for the 2000 Olympic Games. The beautiful stamps on the magazine pages were striking! From then on, Olympic stamps became a part of my life.

Nine years later, I graduated from high school and was accepted into a university. When the great news came that Beijing had won its bid to host the 2008 Games, the State Post Bureau called for suggestions on Olympic stamps. I was so excited and eager to express my views. That night I stayed up until 3 a.m. to write 13-pages of advice and the next morning I got up early to revise the draft. After some friends helped me perfect the letter, I sent it to the State Post Bureau.

In December 2001, the State Post Bureau accepted my suggestions and awarded me with a set of stamps commemorating Beijing’s successful bid to host the Olympic Games.

One of my suggestions was to release postcards at the closing ceremony of the Athens Games themed “Olympics from Athens to Beijing,” “The 29th Olympic Games” and “Emblem and mascots of the 29th Olympic Games.”To my great joy, my design for the stamps featuring the emblem of the Beijing Games was accepted and will be released alongside other Beijing Olympic stamps.

Another suggestion is to release a series of stamps that features Chinese Olympic champions. As soon as a Chinese athlete is crowned, the stamps will immediately be released nationwide. The series would reflect the combination of Chinese culture and the Olympic spirit and would be a symbol of this historic moment. Of course, the series has its limitations – I failed to take the Paralympics into consideration.

As the Olympics have drawn nearer and nearer, the aspiration to do more to promote the Olympics and the Beijing Games has filled my heart to the brim. In 2007, leaders of the Guizhou Association of Stamp Collecting made me editor-in-chief of Guizhou Stamp Collection, and it occurred to me that this newspaper was an ideal place to promote the Olympics. Fortunately, my idea was approved and the paper started to publish a series called “The Olympic Road of an Ancient Country”and another called “The One-Hundred-Year History of the Olympics,” which showed the eagerness of the Chinese people to host the Olympic Games and the development of the Olympic Movement.

In April 2008, the newspaper introduced a special column on the torch relay; in June, another special column named “The Day of the Olympics” will appear in the newspaper, which will be focused on stories of stamps and the Olympics. In July, “People of the Olympics” will express stamp collectors’ love for the Olympic movement. August will see the publication of “The Month of the Beijing Olympic Games” and September will be devoted to the Paralympics, telling stories about the Paralympics and introducing the development of the Paralympics. In October 2008, a piece called“The Year of Beijing Olympics” will focused on Olympic stamps and the great legacy left by the Beijing Games.

After what I have done for the Beijing Olympics, I’ve been honored to be selected as a torchbearer. My wish is to spread Olympic spirit and the culture of stamp-collecting through the Olympic Torch Relay. I will also give my all as a volunteer for the volleyball competition in Beijing this August.

Information taken from:
http://olympic.chinaassistor.com/2008/0715/My_stamps_reflect_my_love_for_the_Olympics_10411.html
Topic Starter
[deleted user]

Hong Kong musician Wakin Chau is seen in an undated photo inside the Bird's Nest, the main venue for the Beijing Olympic Games. The photo was released on July 14, 2008 by China News Service, which recently launched a video series featuring Chinese stars visiting and introducing Olympic venues. Other participating stars include pop singer Li Yuchun, actor Wang Baoqiang, and gymnast-turned-entertainer Liu Xuan.

Hong Kong musician Wakin Chau is seen in an undated photo inside the Bird's Nest, the main venue for the Beijing Olympic Games.

Source:
http://news.chinaassistor.com/2008/0714/Stars_Shed_Light_on_Olympic_Venues_10390_3.html
Topic Starter
[deleted user]
Olympic Green is where 50% of the competition venues will be found in 2008, and is located at the north end of the central axis of Beijing City. A forest park, a central area including competition venues, Olympic Village, the Main Press Center (MPC), and the International Broadcasting Center (IBC) and so on for Olympic Games can be found at Olympic Green. There will be several subway stations to connect the Olympic Green and the downtown area. Besides, people can also choose buses, taxis or to drive to Olympic Green.
Altogether 31 venues will be used in Beijing during the 29th Olympiad. Most of them have already been completed, though some are still under construction. An additional six cities, namely Hong Kong, Qingdao, Qinhuangdao, Shanghai, Shenyang and Tianjin, will also co-operate with Beijing to run the Equestrian, Sailing and the Football Preliminaries.

National Stadium, which is nicknamed the Bird's Nest because of the unique design, is located at Olympic Green and covers an area of 258,000 square meters (about 63.8 acres). Designed by the famous Swiss architect Herzog & DeMeuron and China Architecture Design Institute, the construction started in December, 2003 and will have a capacity of 100,000 upon completion. Besides the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, this grand and modern stadium will host Athletics and Football during the Games. This Stadium will be the stage for both national and international sporting events, as well as cultural and entertainment activities after the Olympics. The glittering National Aquatics Center, namely 'H2O3', is another highlight of Olympic Green. It covers an area of more than 65,000 square meters (about 16.1 acres) and have a capacity of 17,000 during the Swimming, Diving, Water Polo, and Synchronized Swimming events. The center has been donated by many Chinese and Chinese associations from Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and the rest of the world.

Source:
http://olympic.chinaassistor.com/2008/0522/Olympic_Green_8877.html
Saturos
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
newworka1 are you a bot program y/n?

Download: nomico - Bad Apple!! (ignorethis) [Emdyion's Beginner].osu
Loginer
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.