forum

Practice Mode? [Rejected] [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Manabeast
So I was playing GHII again the other day, and I realized I never would have passed Hanger 18 if I didn't have the practice mode where I could just work on the last 4 solos until I could survive them.

Any thoughts on adding a practice mode, functioning similar to the edit "Test" mode, allowing users to start and stop at the sections in the song (Or at a certain set interval of time in the song, because a lot of the files don't have sections)?
Ivalset
Alright.

Now that I've actually read your post and not simply mentioned something you already have, I think a practice mode would be useful, but I'm not sure how this would be structured. Personally, I think no fail is the closest thing we have to a true practice mode.
chan

Ivalset wrote:

Wait, I didn't actually read your post.
^^'
Can't the editor do this in test mode, provided you add your own bookmarks for the sections you want to practice?
LuigiHann
A big part of the challenge of the Ouendan games is having to replay the whole level because one part is hard. It's frustrating, yes, but it makes the victories oh so much more worthwhile.
Extor
You can position yourself where you want to start the practice. Use the test button, practice, then press escape and use the try again option, repeat.
Topic Starter
Manabeast
Yeah, guess that works then. I feel a bit silly now.
Rod_old

LuigiHann wrote:

A big part of the challenge of the Ouendan games is having to replay the whole level because one part is hard. It's frustrating, yes, but it makes the victories oh so much more worthwhile.
EXACTLY! That is pretty much the soul of Ouendan, that challenge of getting through centain parts of the songs (and sometimes failing a LOT until mastering them), especially on the last levels.
[deleted user]
Personally, I would like to see a practice mode. This game's a lot harder if you don't have a touchscreen (like on the DS) and some of these fan-made beatmaps are brutal. If there were a practice mode, you could get a good look at the areas that are killing you.

And yeah, I figured out using the edit mode as a practice mode, but I personally think that's an inelegant and somewhat burdensome solution. (For one thing, you have to save over someone else's beatmap and the revert to the original version afterwards.)
LuigiHann
Turning on Easy Mode should be enough... That's always worked for me.
awp

doomcomplex wrote:

(For one thing, you have to save over someone else's beatmap and the revert to the original version afterwards.)
?????????????
chan
What happened to resorting to a good old-fashioned no-fail mod? Sif you can't scrutinize your replay and/or check out your lifebar stats in the results screen.
EiJi
My vote: Add a "practice" mod. In addition to not being able to fail the song, you can use your arrow keys to fast forward or rewind, enabling you to practice specific parts of any map until you're satisfied. Practice mode is not ranked, nor does it count towards any of your stats or play count.