forum

Difficulty rename [Answered] [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Kylecito
This is more of a suggestion, but, what about leaving ONLY well-made maps which feature correct beat-time displacement and NOT A HUNDRED OF NOTES STACKED TOGETHER as hard? I mean, hard maps that are good enough as to at least FEEL like an ouendan original should be classified as "hard"

Everything else like Cross Time, Scatman, Bride in dream, ETC ETC should be classified as "fun" imho. They're just way too nonsensical as to be real maps, because really, who stacks a hundred notes on the same place? it's just not right. not even on the hardest ouendan/eba song that happens. It's more of a "what the hell the 1/8 notes were ONE screen apart from eachother" than a well thought "ahh.. this map is cleverly hard".

Opinions? ;P

note: if I was a beatmap moderador (which i could, but i wouldn't because of being lazy and the standards here) half of the beatmaps would be out of the official list, because really.
peppy
eyup has mentioned and I kind've agree that we should prune the official list some. There's quite a few beatmaps on there now (older stuff, mostly) which feel out-of-place, or could do with a bit more work.

Kylecito wrote:

note: if I was a beatmap moderador (which i could, but i wouldn't because of being lazy and the standards here) half of the beatmaps would be out of the official list, because really.
And don't go saying that when you could be doing something about it! :P
Echo
Beat placement follows the time-distance-equality rule (holding Alt while placing beats enforces this) at least loosely.
I think this should be more strict.
peppy

Echo49 wrote:

Beat placement follows the time-distance-equality rule (holding Alt while placing beats enforces this) at least loosely.
I think this should be more strict.
Ready to start modding? ;)
eyup
I'm not really sure what the fuss is about. osu! is different from the DS games because of the mouse which enables rapid-fire tapping of notes, and some beatmappers have exploited this to great effect. Renaming songs such as Cross Time and Scatman as "Fun" would be strange because they're pretty darn hard and after trying to pass it for a while they're anything but fun (Ivalset probably knows what I'm talking about here ;) ).

If anything, maps such as those mentioned above should be renamed as Insane given the mean level of skill in the community. However there are others who say that the Insane tag should only be given to those songs which are basically impossible to pass. If you ask me, that definition is much more silly than naming Cross Time/Scatman "Hard". What's the point of making a map if it's impossible to pass it? Let's get rid of the current definition of "Insane" and upgrade the really hard maps to Insane. Maybe change the definition to: "[Insane]: Possible to pass with practice, but extremely difficult to master (gain A- or S-rank)." I'd fully support e.g. Cross Time being upgraded to Insane because it is definitely harder than Hard.

Re: time-distance equality. I've always said that this should be up to the beatmappers. Obviously having it is great for intuitiveness of play but it basically kills quite a bit of freedom and originality. I've never adhered to this rule but haven't heard complaints about beat spacing on my maps - probably because I try to be consistent as much as possible. Other beatmappers also do this and are successful. So (as I've said about 10 times in map review posts) it's all about being consistent with spacing. The criteria is fine as is. The beatmap mods just need to be a bit more aware of inconsistency, that's all.

There's my 2 cents!
Extor
I agree 100% with eyup. As long as a beatmap is enjoyable it doesn't need to stick with Ouendan rules.

And "fun" isn't a difficulty. =P
Topic Starter
Kylecito

peppy wrote:

And don't go saying that when you could be doing something about it! :P
As an ouendan purist I don't really want to get involved on that as I differ with most of the mods here

If you want a good example of what I mean, take a look at Sakuranbo on hard. It's pretty hard, but the beatmap feels really ouendan-ish and not cluttered at all; most of the difficulty here comes from the speed and timing
LuigiHann
I don't think "fun" is the right name, but I wouldn't be opposed to the naming of a new difficulty level that is totally outside of Ouendan's standards.
Echo

eyup wrote:

Re: time-distance equality. I've always said that this should be up to the beatmappers. Obviously having it is great for intuitiveness of play but it basically kills quite a bit of freedom and originality. I've never adhered to this rule but haven't heard complaints about beat spacing on my maps - probably because I try to be consistent as much as possible. Other beatmappers also do this and are successful. So (as I've said about 10 times in map review posts) it's all about being consistent with spacing. The criteria is fine as is. The beatmap mods just need to be a bit more aware of inconsistency, that's all.
imo, there are some beatmaps that can ignore the time-distance equality thing like Lumino's Koi no Maiahi, but others that just don't work when this is ignored.
Ivalset

eyup wrote:

I'm not really sure what the fuss is about. osu! is different from the DS games because of the mouse which enables rapid-fire tapping of notes, and some beatmappers have exploited this to great effect. Renaming songs such as Cross Time and Scatman as "Fun" would be strange because they're pretty darn hard and after trying to pass it for a while they're anything but fun (Ivalset probably knows what I'm talking about here ;) ).
My play count and fingers proclaim that I know it better than you do >:/

As for difficulty renaming, meh. As long as the difficulties are generally correct, I'm alright with it.

eyup wrote:

Let's get rid of the current definition of "Insane" and upgrade the really hard maps to Insane.
Also, I fully support this. Koi no Maiahi [Insane] can burn eternally.
eyup

Kylecito wrote:

If you want a good example of what I mean, take a look at Sakuranbo on hard. It's pretty hard, but the beatmap feels really ouendan-ish and not cluttered at all; most of the difficulty here comes from the speed and timing
Totally agreed - that's what makes it a really fun and challenging map to play. But the thing is, difficulty comes in more than one variety. Scatman is hard in its own right, in a different way to Sakuranbo. There's nothing wrong with that - no need to discriminate against it and other similar songs by giving it a.... er... "FUN"... tag. I'm guessing "fun" in your context means "non-ouendan worthy" or something.