forum

Golden Sun (Motoi Sakuraba) - Battle Theme

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kasada
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Friday, September 05, 2008 at 8:44:49 PM

Artist: Motoi Sakuraba
Title: Battle Theme
BPM: 119.75
Filesize: 1417kb
Play Time: 01:24
Difficulties Available:
  1. Normal (3.54 stars, 116 notes)
  2. Hard (4.55 stars, 177 notes)
  3. Insane (4.76 stars, 280 notes)
Download: Motoi Sakuraba - Battle Theme
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
After winning my poll by a LONGSHOT (The only other competitor that got a vote was Vulnerability), I have started mapping the best RPG random battle theme EVER. Not much else to say right now.
---------------
Edit: Hard finished. Timing check needed.
Edit 2: Timing changes courtesy of Cyclone.
Edit 3: Normal finished.
Edit 4: Custom Combo Colors added, Cheese's suggestion implemented, minor change to Hard.
Edit 5: Insane started.
Edit 6: It's done!
Edit 7: Cheesy changes.
Edit 8: More Hitsounds added.
[deleted user]
the buttons are kinda huge in normal mode, relative to the screen/bg. there are too many spins for my tastes on normal. I liked the end of normal, and I liked hard though.
CheeseWarlock
Timing's as good as it gets.

Normal's difficulty curve is pretty steep at the end. If you're going to use 1/4 notes, add a few in earlier in the song.

Hard is fine, except for the 1/8 snap repeating sliders which to me sound AWFUL.

This map needs an awesome colour scheme. Maybe one colour for each of the four party members. I'm thinking Issac and Garet's hair colours, and Ivan and Mia's cape colours. Bonus points if the sword shape on Hard at 00:16:81 (6) is in Isaac's colour.
Topic Starter
Kasada
The curveball at the end of Normal is intended. A curveball is thrown at the end of Hard also. Here's my reasoning...

1. This song loops only once, but the first verse of the song plays once again at the end of the loop at full volume. So, since
this is a small section that's already played, I decided to make it a bit more difficult. Almost like a sneak peak at the next difficulty.

2. There's quite a bit of build up to this section, so it's natural to have it a bit harder.

3. Having the same old stuff I had the first time around wouldn't be fun, now would it? :P

I can compare my curveballs to SSAY, seeing as the end of each of the difficulties for that song threw a bit of a curveball.

I think I'm going to keep my 1/8 sliders because I need some differentiation to my normal 1/4 sliders.

As for the custom combo colors, I'll definantly consider them. But keep in mind that if I do use them, expect them to be the colors associated with the different elements.

Also, those sliders that looked like a sword? Totally unintentional, but it's a cool connection none the less. :D
CheeseWarlock
I fully agree that there should be a difficulty curve. I just think that throwing sudden 4-series of 1/4 notes at the player when there have been no 1/4 hits in the whole song before seems a bit sudden.

Maybe if you added in quarter hits at 00:40:10 (1) and the three places it does that soon after. That would add a smoother difficulty curve.

I see what you mean about differentiation with the 1/4 sliders, and while it does make the map more interesting, I'd say it's not a worthwhile tradeoff. The 1/8s are noisy and disorienting. Really, sliders like that (tiny, buzzy) are best used for a climax. They could work in this song just before 01:12:17 (1). That's my take on them, at least.

Pretty similar colours; each of the Golden Sun characters represented an element.

The sword thing just goes so well with the "Isaac casts Ragnarok!" message.
Topic Starter
Kasada
Wow. The examples you've provided fit perfectly. I hope you don't mind I've taken and implemented them. I guess I'll have to cite you in the credits. :P

But yeah, I've changed it to fit your suggestions. The custom combo colors have been implemented, and yes, I did make it so that the earth color syncs with the "sword". :)

Your help has been great so far, thanks a ton. :D
Tenamor
Can't tell you how much I LOVE Golden Sun :D

I started not too long ago so I played on Normal and was surprised I passed it, especially at the end o.o that was a lot of notes XD but great beatmap IMO, on normal anyways :P too scared to go to hard <_<

Keep up the good work!
Topic Starter
Kasada
Hah, thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. The end sorta doubles as a sneak peak of the next difficulty, so if you passed the ending pretty well, you'd be set for Hard, in theory. But then comes the problem that I pull the same stunt by giving a sneak peak at what Insane is like. ;)

I've already started Insane, but haven't uploaded it yet. I'll get around to it pretty quick and hopefully THIS ONE won't be too hard to get ranked. :o
CheeseWarlock
Insane:
00:17:56 (4) - Doesn't fit with the difficulty or feel of the rest of the song, and sounds out of place.
01:11:67 (4) - Get rid of one slider repeat here...

Hard:
01:11:92 (8) - And here. You could also add some 1/4 notes right before this to sort of transition into it, almost techno-style.

Aside from those minor details, I fully approve of this. Starred.
CheeseWarlock
Oh, forgot one thing: hitsounds. The map could stand some whistles and finishes, especially on Insane. But I'm not going to hold it against you. Bubble time.
mattyu007
Well, I've looked over the map, can't find anything wrong with it, really...

(We "discussed" about that part on normal, I think it's fine the way it is)

<3