forum

One-time game crash and Song-end bug [Resolved in b121]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
awp
itt first forum post. I should start off with saying how impressed I am by the program (being a software developer myself, the extensibility alone inherent in this program made me @_@) but I'll instead just try to be useful.

In-game crash
System environment: Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2
osu! control settings: Default, apart from changing skin to EBA skin (don't think it's relevant)
Description: After completing a song, I attempted to record the replay using FRAPS. I clicked "Watch Replay", and as the replay was beginning, I pressed the Video Capture hotkey (F9) to start FRAPS recording. This caused the game to close unexpectedly, resulting a cute little error dialogue to pop up that requested I forgive peppy unquestioningly for this error due to all the hard work that has gone into this project so far.

I tried replicating this bug, but it's only happened once. Since FRAPS is a bit of a resource-whore, at least on my machine, I would suspect that there might have been a null return on a memory call or something. I don't think it's a huge issue.

Song-failing-to-end bug
Whether or not it's just me, or just this particular instance I have not yet determined (I plan to in the future). I made a Beatmap for a song that's roughly four minutes long, and the beats go straight till the end of the song, with perhaps only a few second's grace after the last slider. At the end of a play through this song, the screen will not proceed to the high-score page. You have to press Escape to bring up the menu (at which point the song will oddly start over again) and then hit continue/press escape again to close the menu window, and from there the game proceeds to the scoring page. When I removed this last slider, everything performed business-as-usual and the bug was not present. Being able to add a few seconds of silence at the end of the song for padding aught to serve as a quick and easy workaround for this. Meanwhile I'll continue to go about my business to see if this happens to every song I make close to the end.

I apologize in advance if either of these bugs have already been reported. I have a mild case of selective-reading and can't utilize "Search" functions because I pretend they don't exist.
peppy
Thanks for the bug reports!

I have had the first one happen to me too... it seems it is not uncommon for FRAPS to cause these kinds of errors in games (or so my friends tell me) and it is more of a DirectX problem than something that can be fixed on my end. Its pretty rare though, as you say, and can be avoided by starting the recording after the game finishes loading (the bug occurs during texture loading).

I'll look into the second one when I wake up tomorrow - definitely sounds like you've found something there... and I can imagine why its happening.