forum

Pat Metheny - The First Circle

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ogicu8abruok
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 at 9:51:23 PM

Artist: Pat Metheny
Title: The First Circle
BPM: 78.86
Filesize: 9493kb
Play Time: 09:05
Difficulties Available:
  1. Marathon (4.23 stars, 1173 notes)
  2. IGNORE (4.25 stars, 1212 notes)
Download: Pat Metheny - The First Circle
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is my first map so any feedback would be great >.<
I realize that, if anything, this'll probably get a "flame" icon, and will only be able to be approved, not ranked. I am okay with that.

-changed difficulty to "marathon"
-added timing sections for sample changes
-fixed some beat spacing
-changed offsets (it was mad early)
-tweaked timing
-reduced everything in the solo to fit within the 12/8 meter except for a few duplets here and there
-fixed beat spacing in the solo
-tried to include sliders whenever the solo obscures the downbeat too much
-changed this one retarded part near the end
-more timing tweaks
-changes from my first reply to cheese
-background picture added
-timing again
-changed the colors (i'll probably change them back at some point)
-changed colors again
-STORYBOARD! <(o.O)>

List of intentional things in this map:
-beat spacing varies with intensity of song
-difficult rhythms on repeated notes at 3:05
-slider speed doubles at 3:23
-worst beat spacing ever at 7:32 to mess with people's minds

Feel free to tell me that any of these intentional things should really be changed... I just thought they were good ideas at the time.
CheeseWarlock
There's a lot of good and a lot of bad here. So I'll point out some of each.

This is a very ambitious beatmap. The odd beat at the beginning is well-mapped if a bit plain, but it gets a bit confusing when you map to the vocals instead of the beat.

The part you mentioned around 7:32, I'm fine with. But some BATs might not be. The way I see it, you've heard the beat enough times by now, you should be able to hit it no matter where it is. Though I'd actually suggest working in the main beat to a few other sections. Where, you ask? Well, you don't always have to map to the music.

That's the key thing here, really. You're trying too hard to stick to it, even during the most abstract parts of the solo. If you had the hitsounds turned up, you could easily map towards a steadier beat so that it doesn't get so CONFUSING. Which it quite often is.

All in all, there's potential here. But it'll take some work.
CheeseWarlock
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
ogicu8abruok
00:12:66 (1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3,1,2) - This mapping here makes little sense.

I'd like to argue that it goes with the guitar, and it prepares you for what happens in the vocals a moment later.
Nevermind, I changed it anyway, and I like it better now

00:54:12 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) - There's just...
01:27:97 (2,3,4,5,6,7) - Too much of this going on at the beginning. Personally, I think it's fun and plays well enough, but I know it would piss a lot of people off.

You're absolutely right (fix't)

01:11:24 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,1,2) - This section is also confusing. Goes with the music, sure, but... you can hardly hear the music.

Cranked up the music, added sliders

09:01:97 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13) - This last sequence feels pretty random.

The clapping from the beginning comes back here. I think it's ultimate awesome that
A) It brings back the beginning
B) It fucks you up if you never realized that the claps were on the offbeats (and probably fucks you up even if you did realize that)
C) Every time you think you're in control in this song, it sends you a curveball. I think it's fitting that the last measure pulls one last trick out of its hat.

There's a lot more modding to be done on this, but keep at it. It's already quite fun to play. If you could, though, try to increase the volume of the mp3. That would help clarify the confusing sections. Adding some volume to the hitsounds would also help. Give some sort of feedback to the player and whatnot.

Overall volume increased, and solo/intro volume increased relative to the rest of the song also. Hitsound volume increased as much as I could bear without crying (I'll increase it more if you insist).
Zodiark1020
the song is good...timing has to be still fixed a few
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.