forum

Mirror Mod

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
gamerrox
I'd love to see a new mod (Potentially hardest mod yet?) added to Osu! by the names of something similar to "Mirror Mod". Within Mirror Mod, the vertical and horizontal axis of the mouse would be switched. xD I'd love to see myself failing horrible on this mod.
silasw
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
adamskii_uk
Sounds good. I like to play games that confuse my brain. :)

There could be 4 input modes to this mod, and Osu! could randomly switch between them every 10-30 seconds during a game, when there is a one second pause or higher on a beatmap. There could be an image that pops up on the screen telling us what input method the mod has switched to.

The four input methods would be.

1) X = Normal, Y = Normal
2) X = Normal, Y = Reversed
3) X = Reversed, Y = Normal
4) X = Reversed, Y = Reversed

In addition to the four input methods I've mentioned above, the game screen could randomly rotate and zoom in and out, at different directions and speeds, in time to the music. With all of these features on one mod, I guarantee this would be the most difficult mod to master, and it would make the flashlight mod feel very easy in comparison. :P

As for the issue of having random games each time we play on a beatmap, since this would cause problems when using the mod for ranking purposes. A set of text files could be stored on the Osu server, one text file for each beatmap. Then when a person plays a beatmap online with the mod enabled, the person would download the text file off the Osu! server. And if the person hasn't got the text file and they are playing the beatmap offline, Osu! would just generate a random game for practicing on, with no multiplier score added.
Echo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Olinad
LuigiHann
You could make it so that the cursor displays normally, but the coordinates of you clicks are inverted. That'd be plenty confusing.

Either way, this is more of a multiplayer powerup IMO.
Echo
btw if anyone is wondering how to rotate your mouse for combinations such as {x-reversed, y-normal}, all you need to do is turn your mouse upside down and use the underside of your desk.
nullset
An64fan
How did this not get much notice?

I like this idea. Playing mirrored on Ouendan2 was loads of fun. HOWEVER, I would say to go for a basic mirror mode, with hits simply reflected horizontally. Beats would still be in the same place, though you'd have to hit on the opposite side of the screen as them, as is illustrated in the video nullset linked to.

I definitely think this would make an awesome ranking mod. It would probably be more than challenging enough on most maps to earn a nice bonus. All besides adding an extra challenge to gameplay.
Echo
This isn't about mirroring the notes, it's about mirroring the mouse movements.
James
ignorethis
This advice seems to be a nice one. However, you will definitely see no one using it unless you set the multiplier to 1.5x, 2.0x or higher XD
An64fan

James wrote:

make the circles reversed too~
But if you reflected the circles, too, wouldn't you still be hitting the circles to hit the beats? Unless you mean for them to be reflected in place. XD

Playing mirrored would mean that you're not actually hitting the circles, but you're using the placement of the circles to determine where to hit.

ignorethis wrote:

This advice seems to be a nice one. However, you will definitely see no one using it unless you set the multiplier to 1.5x, 2.0x or higher XD
Naaaah. I'd play it even with a regular bonus. And 1.5-2.0 times is waaaay over the top, imo. I mean, all the hard mods combined are only 1.41 percent as I recall. I would probably give mirror about the same as DT or Flashlight, possibly a touch more (x1.15?). It would simply be rediculous to make it too much more than the current mods (unless you want it unrankable, of course, but even then).

Flashlight and mirror at the same time would be close to impossible legit, eh? :3
Saturos
Something like this could definitely not be any higher than Hard Rock/Hidden, possibly even lower. It doesn't really increase the difficulty of the map, you just need to readjust your thinking. You could learn it and use it to your advantage on any map out there.
ThePassingShadow
Multiplier would have to be 1.06x or lower.

If practised, anyone could use this on ANY map and then no one would play regular osu! anymore.

I'm against the idea as a whole, but 1.06x would be the maximum multiplier, in my opinion.
Gemi
Mirroring mouse movement = stupid because you can easily avoid this with turning the mouse or using software.

Mirroring the notes so that you need to hit on the opposite side of the x axis compared to where the note is shown would be a better idea, but it doesn't deserve a high score boost, probably even less than anything suggested above.
An64fan
Well... Other option could be unranked or no point bonus... It'd still be a fun challenge. :D
ignorethis
You may be right. If the multiplier is 1.5x or higher, then people may abuse this mode and all get higher scores.
James
Metroid

James wrote:

how to mirror movements using touchscreen pc?
I think by calibrating the touchscreen (if you can) to mirror every click like people do with the DS...
show more