forum

Madeon - Shuriken

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Charles445
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 at 2:59:32 PM

Artist: Madeon
Title: Shuriken
Tags: mathiasxii mmzz
BPM: 125
Filesize: 6237kb
Play Time: 03:08
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (2.06 stars, 156 notes)
  2. Hard (4.78 stars, 312 notes)
  3. Insane (4.96 stars, 400 notes)
  4. MathiasXII's Normal (3.76 stars, 229 notes)
  5. MM's Taiko (4.97 stars, 638 notes)
Download: Madeon - Shuriken
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Madeon rocks
MMzz
here you go!

"Your message is too short. Please do not post messages like "star", and make sure you are constructively adding to the thread in question."
goaway

Download: Madeon - Shuriken (Charles445) [MM's Taiko].osu
Topic Starter
Charles445
Let's rock                                                                                                                
lolcubes
Hey there Charles, quite a cool map you have here!

[General]:
  1. Folder: I'm pretty sure that you aren't allowed to use 1024x768 images for SB (unless you're reusing your BG). You should probably resize your bgholes.png to 800x600. You scale it in the design window anyway.
[Insane]:
  1. 00:45:645 (3,4,5,etc) - This felt a little weird. I could read them and hit them correctly, but the spacing didn't look nice. I can see what you are trying to do here though, but there could be a better way. What I did here was something like this - made a small modification to the slider(s) before them. This gave me a much nicer space to place the next notes. Afterwards, using this position and 1.4x distance snap, all the following notes were snapped nicely while preserving symmetry and the idea of the pattern (the (3) still jumps though, but that is cool). Feel free to drop this suggestion if you don't like it, but you should fix that spacing if you can.
  2. 01:53:805 (1) - I just can't figure out what does this note follow. I would probably remove it, just a suggestion though, as it plays okay.
  3. 02:00:585 (1) - Well it's not critical, but someone once told me that you shouldn't place spinners on odd ticks if you can help it. Maybe just place it on the red tick?
  4. 02:03:885 (1) - Remove new combo. The hp drain is stable enough plus the combos don't follow different section in the music, nor it has different spacing.
  5. 02:04:845 (1) - ^
  6. 02:13:965 (2,3) - Whistle on these two please, the melody in the background is too obvious and I was kinda expecting them hehe.
  7. 02:40:245 (3) - Whistle at the end? (BAM! sound, although it's a little more quiet than other ones, so your choice)
  8. 02:47:925 (3) - ^
  9. 02:51:885 (3) - Judging by your hitsound patterns whistle should be at the end of this slider, not the start. (that BAM! vocal or whatever that is)
  10. General suggestions
    I kinda felt that you didn't use enough hitsounds. They do make sense and I really like how you placed your whistles for that BAM! sound, but I'd say there are more spots where whistles could make this even more interesting.
    For example, whistles on 00:51:885 (1) (slider start), 00:52:605 (2) (slider start), 00:53:565 (4) (circle) would probably be a good idea, not only it sounds good, but it's something which lets the player to get more familiar with the melody style in the music. This is my opinion though. I probably didn't select the first occurance of the pattern, just had the map sitting on that timeline so it's only an example. You don't even have to do this all the time, just every now and then to break the monotonous default hitnormal.

Some patterns could use some polishing. I didn't list them above because they are technically right, but there could be improvements.
    First thing I noticed (through the editor though, didn't pay much attention to it while playing) is that 01:16:845 (1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4) these aren't symmetrical enough. I can see that you tried to place them without distance snap, however distance snap helps here quite alot.
    This is an example of using 1.1x distance snap, you can see that symmetry is perfectly preserved.
    After doing that, this is how you can fix the next notes also using 1.1x distance snap, symmetry is also preserved, only thing you need to do afterwards is reposition the circle after the slider 4, so it has same distance between the 2 sliders.
[Hard]:
  1. 01:24:285 (4,5) - Instead of these two I highly recommend a repeating slider which repeats at 01:24:405. The drumline is too obvious to be left out imo, plus it doesn't make it any harder at all, it just sounds nicer.
  2. 01:53:805 (1) - Just like in insane, I don't agree with this note. Up to you though.
  3. 01:56:685 (3) - Maybe use a circle on this timeline instead? Consistency reasons (look at 02:00:525 (3)). It's fine as a slider though, just a suggestion.
  4. 02:13:965 (3,4) - Whistle on these.
  5. As for the general suggestions, pretty much the same about hitsounds like in the insane.
[Normal]:
  1. AR-1. AR6 looks kinda fast for a normal, especially with such a slowly paced song.
  2. I would split some combos so they aren't as long. In most cases I think having a new combo per measure instead of per 2 measures would work better, while in some it's quite alright to be like it is now (long sliders etc). I won't say go nazi and point fingers on everything because it's quite obvious though.
  3. 01:32:205 (1,2,3,4,5) - This combo could use some better positioning. While the distances between the notes aren't gamebreaking, they could use some polishing. 2 and 3 by 1 grid up and 1 grid right (grid level4). Now the combo looks evenly spaced and sliders blanket each other much better.
  4. 02:06:765 (1) - Make this slider's endpoint a little lower it's too obvious that the spacing is slightly different :D (look here).
  5. 02:34:365 (2,3) - Use finishes here? (you used them before: 01:51:405 (1,2,3))
[Easy]:
  1. AR-1 maybe? It looks alright with 5, but if normal is going to use 5 (because I honestly feel 6 is too much), it should be a little different.
  2. 01:09:165 - Maybe map this break? It feels a little boring to have 2 long breaks in such a short period of time.
  3. 03:06:045 (1) - I think you should extend this spinner to 03:08:205 because there is a beat here. Since you have 2 consecutive spinners, this would be a very good idea instead of mapping something that isn't a beat with a beat. Afterwards just start the other spinner a little later.
[MM's Taiko]:
  1. I'm no expert at taiko, but why 1.6 SV? The notes don't overlap on 1.4 and it still looks nice.
One more thing, it's about the SB. You really did it very nicely, and it's a little more complex than I understand, but, just to make it all clean you could for example clean some values a little bit (round them up/down). Look here.

A really nice mapset, I have to say, deserves some pink action! :O
Topic Starter
Charles445

lolcubes wrote:

Hey there Charles, quite a cool map you have here!

[General]:
  1. Folder: I'm pretty sure that you aren't allowed to use 1024x768 images for SB (unless you're reusing your BG). You should probably resize your bgholes.png to 800x600. You scale it in the design window anyway.
The reason it's such a big image is because it' is essentially the background of the entire map. I could cut it up into chunks but that would be pointless.

[Insane]:
  1. 00:45:645 (3,4,5,etc) - This felt a little weird. I could read them and hit them correctly, but the spacing didn't look nice. I can see what you are trying to do here though, but there could be a better way. What I did here was something like this - made a small modification to the slider(s) before them. This gave me a much nicer space to place the next notes. Afterwards, using this position and 1.4x distance snap, all the following notes were snapped nicely while preserving symmetry and the idea of the pattern (the (3) still jumps though, but that is cool). Feel free to drop this suggestion if you don't like it, but you should fix that spacing if you can.
    Changed the spacing to a mix between 1.4 and 1.5 . It was fine as it was but this is more 'correct'
  2. 01:53:805 (1) - I just can't figure out what does this note follow. I would probably remove it, just a suggestion though, as it plays okay.
    Listen closely, you can hear it.
  3. 02:00:585 (1) - Well it's not critical, but someone once told me that you shouldn't place spinners on odd ticks if you can help it. Maybe just place it on the red tick?
    All that having it on the yellow tick does is increase the spinner point payout and challenge the player to start spinning as soon as they hit the previous note. It doesn't harm anything actually considering now they have more time to finish the spinner.
  4. 02:03:885 (1) - Remove new combo. The hp drain is stable enough plus the combos don't follow different section in the music, nor it has different spacing.
    No
  5. 02:04:845 (1) - ^
    And no, I tested that exact section multiple times to see the effect of the drain, and without those combos it gets pretty nasty. I am very picky about hp drain, and in this case I want there to be very minimal drain loss. It's NO fun to go into a slow section and fail because the hp drain is stupid.
  6. 02:13:965 (2,3) - Whistle on these two please, the melody in the background is too obvious and I was kinda expecting them hehe.
    I experimented with whistles on those but I did not like the transition to them and from. I settled with what I have now, a hint at the softness of the nature that quickly transitions back into the main song.
  7. 02:40:245 (3) - Whistle at the end? (BAM! sound, although it's a little more quiet than other ones, so your choice)
    Yeah I was thinking about that
  8. 02:47:925 (3) - ^
    ^^
  9. 02:51:885 (3) - Judging by your hitsound patterns whistle should be at the end of this slider, not the start. (that BAM! vocal or whatever that is)
    Oh yeah. Sounds like a frog (hence the SB)
  10. General suggestions
    I kinda felt that you didn't use enough hitsounds. They do make sense and I really like how you placed your whistles for that BAM! sound, but I'd say there are more spots where whistles could make this even more interesting.
    For example, whistles on 00:51:885 (1) (slider start), 00:52:605 (2) (slider start), 00:53:565 (4) (circle) would probably be a good idea, not only it sounds good, but it's something which lets the player to get more familiar with the melody style in the music. This is my opinion though. I probably didn't select the first occurance of the pattern, just had the map sitting on that timeline so it's only an example. You don't even have to do this all the time, just every now and then to break the monotonous default hitnormal.
    Honestly I dislike how that sounds. I like my hitsounds compact and effective :P
    Some patterns could use some polishing. I didn't list them above because they are technically right, but there could be improvements.
    First thing I noticed (through the editor though, didn't pay much attention to it while playing) is that 01:16:845 (1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4) these aren't symmetrical enough. I can see that you tried to place them without distance snap, however distance snap helps here quite alot.
    This is an example of using 1.1x distance snap, you can see that symmetry is perfectly preserved.
    See I wasn't actually trying to get the 1 endpoint symmetrical to the 5. the (2,3,4,5) is its own entity in my mind.
    After doing that, this is how you can fix the next notes also using 1.1x distance snap, symmetry is also preserved, only thing you need to do afterwards is reposition the circle after the slider 4, so it has same distance between the 2 sliders.
    Messed around with them and tightened the spacing.
[Hard]:
  1. 01:24:285 (4,5) - Instead of these two I highly recommend a repeating slider which repeats at 01:24:405. The drumline is too obvious to be left out imo, plus it doesn't make it any harder at all, it just sounds nicer.
    I'm gonna say no on that one because I don't like having two stream types next to each other in this hard. I agree it works with the music slightly better but I don't like what it does to the flow.
  2. 01:53:805 (1) - Just like in insane, I don't agree with this note. Up to you though.
    Listen to the musak
  3. 01:56:685 (3) - Maybe use a circle on this timeline instead? Consistency reasons (look at 02:00:525 (3)). It's fine as a slider though, just a suggestion.
    Insane does that, and I like it like this.
  4. 02:13:965 (3,4) - Whistle on these.
    Same comment as the Insane
  5. As for the general suggestions, pretty much the same about hitsounds like in the insane.
    Same comment
[Normal]:
  1. AR-1. AR6 looks kinda fast for a normal, especially with such a slowly paced song.
    Little known fact - a slightly higher AR can actually help the player
  2. I would split some combos so they aren't as long. In most cases I think having a new combo per measure instead of per 2 measures would work better, while in some it's quite alright to be like it is now (long sliders etc). I won't say go nazi and point fingers on everything because it's quite obvious though.
    I really really like the combo work mathias did on this.
  3. 01:32:205 (1,2,3,4,5) - This combo could use some better positioning. While the distances between the notes aren't gamebreaking, they could use some polishing. 2 and 3 by 1 grid up and 1 grid right (grid level4). Now the combo looks evenly spaced and sliders blanket each other much better.
    Tightened the spacing a little
  4. 02:06:765 (1) - Make this slider's endpoint a little lower it's too obvious that the spacing is slightly different :D (look here).
    Fixed spacing
  5. 02:34:365 (2,3) - Use finishes here? (you used them before: 01:51:405 (1,2,3))
    Dude that part is totally different

[Easy]:
  1. AR-1 maybe? It looks alright with 5, but if normal is going to use 5 (because I honestly feel 6 is too much), it should be a little different.
    Same comment
  2. 01:09:165 - Maybe map this break? It feels a little boring to have 2 long breaks in such a short period of time.
    Yeah I'm really not sure what to do here. I figured it might be boring but as I was sitting through the break I got hypnotized by the storyboard. Then the break was over, so I figured it's a nice little light show that isn't that boring
  3. 03:06:045 (1) - I think you should extend this spinner to 03:08:205 because there is a beat here. Since you have 2 consecutive spinners, this would be a very good idea instead of mapping something that isn't a beat with a beat. Afterwards just start the other spinner a little later.
    Yeah ok.
One more thing, it's about the SB. You really did it very nicely, and it's a little more complex than I understand, but, just to make it all clean you could for example clean some values a little bit (round them up/down). Look here.
Yeah... I'm not going to fullsubmit to change numbers from 2.6767632 to 2.7. It doesn't even change anything

A really nice mapset, I have to say, deserves some pink action! :O
:D
On a side note, I added a fade-out at the end that I forgot to add.
Ekaru
Insane:

This map isn't fast enough IMO, but anyways...

00:50:925 (4) - Three curves... and then a linear slider? Eh?
01:04:125 (1,2,1) - I would delete (2), and maybe move the first (1) to the center. Also, have the spinner start where (2) used to be. As it is now it feels disjointed and awkward.
01:12:285 (4) - This linear slider also feels out of place.
02:00:525 (3,1) - I would delete (3) and have the spinner start there instead. As it is now it feels weird and disjointed.
03:06:045 (1) - Make this a long slider. What you have now is really, really awkward to play because it's a long drawn-out sound with nothing there.

Hard:

00:32:685 (1,2,3) - This pattern, used many times throughout the map, just doesn't feel right. Can't explain why, it just doesn't.

Normal:

01:05:805 (1) - This spinner feels random where it is now. I would move its starting point to feel better. Maybe delete (3) and have it start there?
01:36:045 (1,2,3,4) - Move 4 and complete the square diamond. It would play better and also be easier, which is what you want on a Normal.
01:59:565 (2,3) - The sliders end on the very emphasized notes? Feels awkward. Just make them hit circles that are on the emphasized notes. It'll be much more intuitive that way.
02:47:565 (6) - I have seen prettier sliders. Also, it isn't perfectly symmetrical with 8.
03:00:525 (1) - The bottom and top don't line up, among other issues.
03:06:765 (4) - This slider feels awkward. Delete it, extend 3, and have the spinner start where this slider ends.

Easy:

00:49:005 (2) - The bottom part of this slider is off-screen. Bad Charles, bad! You should know better! >:(

Otherwise it looks good to go. Star!
Topic Starter
Charles445

Ekaru wrote:

Insane:

This map isn't fast enough IMO, but anyways...

00:50:925 (4) - Three curves... and then a linear slider? Eh?
Spacing changed there too. Adds more distinction and isn't really a problem. Making it a curve would make it a very insignificant one, I'd have to reposition some parts to make it flow better blah blah etc.
01:04:125 (1,2,1) - I would delete (2), and maybe move the first (1) to the center. Also, have the spinner start where (2) used to be. As it is now it feels disjointed and awkward.
I like this kinda thing, and I know many people like it too. Gets that extra hit in there
01:12:285 (4) - This linear slider also feels out of place.
I like how it looks/sounds with the music
02:00:525 (3,1) - I would delete (3) and have the spinner start there instead. As it is now it feels weird and disjointed.
Honestly I think the two work great together
03:06:045 (1) - Make this a long slider. What you have now is really, really awkward to play because it's a long drawn-out sound with nothing there.
Ok

Hard:

00:32:685 (1,2,3) - This pattern, used many times throughout the map, just doesn't feel right. Can't explain why, it just doesn't.
It doesn't feel right because of the halt in movement associated with 0.9x spacing. This is intentional because it's catering to mouse clicks.

Normal:

01:05:805 (1) - This spinner feels random where it is now. I would move its starting point to feel better. Maybe delete (3) and have it start there?
Naw, it fits the music, listen to the wind sound
01:36:045 (1,2,3,4) - Move 4 and complete the square diamond. It would play better and also be easier, which is what you want on a Normal.
Definitely a good idea
01:59:565 (2,3) - The sliders end on the very emphasized notes? Feels awkward. Just make them hit circles that are on the emphasized notes. It'll be much more intuitive that way.
Yes.
02:47:565 (6) - I have seen prettier sliders. Also, it isn't perfectly symmetrical with 8.
Modified
03:00:525 (1) - The bottom and top don't line up, among other issues.
k
03:06:765 (4) - This slider feels awkward. Delete it, extend 3, and have the spinner start where this slider ends.
Ehhhhh I'm gonna say no to that one

Easy:

00:49:005 (2) - The bottom part of this slider is off-screen. Bad Charles, bad! You should know better! >:(
WTF I made sure to have that slider NOT off-screen. WHY IS IT OFF SCREEN NOW!! RRGRHFGHFG
Anyway, fixed that one. You shoulda bolded that because that's totally unrankable :P

Otherwise it looks good to go. Star!
Zelos
MMzz is like #filipino's taiko whore.
ANYWAY mod time.

Folder:
Everything is sparkly clean here.

Cool storyboard you got there.

Easy:
00:51:885 (1) - it looks like you like symmetrical. so grab the 2nd slider grid point and move to the right 1 grid point. it becomes more symmetrical.
01:55:245 (1) - invert this slider? like make the hump part of the slider face towards the center of the map and not outwards off the grid so it matches the previous sliders?

I am very impressed already Charles.

MathiasXII's normal: (Haven't seen him in a while)
01:02:445 (5,1) - stack these just a tad better please?
02:09:645 (6) - make this slider more like this?

03:00:525 (1) - make this slider more symmetrical like this?
this example might be a bit off because I can't read grid 4 well but like this more!

Hard:
02:47:925 (2) - move to the left 1 grid point to it becomes symmetrical with the next incoming slider?

Insane:
01:05:145 (1) - move this to the next 1/4th tick. starting it at an 1/8th makes it easy to lose a 1000 spin bonus in the process but thats your choice.
02:00:585 (1) - ^
03:08:265 (1) - ^

Star for being an amazing map.
Topic Starter
Charles445

Zelos wrote:

Easy:
00:51:885 (1) - it looks like you like symmetrical. so grab the 2nd slider grid point and move to the right 1 grid point. it becomes more symmetrical.
No it doesn't :P
01:55:245 (1) - invert this slider? like make the hump part of the slider face towards the center of the map and not outwards off the grid so it matches the previous sliders?
I'd rather not, I don't want people complaining about copy paste

MathiasXII's normal: (Haven't seen him in a while)
01:02:445 (5,1) - stack these just a tad better please?
http://puu.sh/4bic Uh, it's already really well stacked
02:09:645 (6) - make this slider more like this?
Yes
03:00:525 (1) - make this slider more symmetrical like this?
No, it turns exactly on the ticks and I really like that

Hard:
02:47:925 (2) - move to the left 1 grid point to it becomes symmetrical with the next incoming slider?
I don't want to sacrifice gameplay for looks.

Insane:
01:05:145 (1) - move this to the next 1/4th tick. starting it at an 1/8th makes it easy to lose a 1000 spin bonus in the process but thats your choice.
02:00:585 (1) - ^
03:08:265 (1) - ^
That's the point. It's supposed to compel the player to spin as soon as they hit the note.
Well your mod did help so kd for you
MathiasXII
Oh wow there's already modding... but... oh already took care of. Thanks Charles :)

Oh and the storyboard ended up quite nicely btw !
dkun
dear god this map, sb, everything
my pants uguuuuuuuu

take a star
ztrot
Timing on this map feels fine charles tho I was thinking you could probably do a bit more with the SB but that is just me.
Also some of the sliderkicks felt a bit over used, other than that the insane plays really nicely.
I was hoping to see a custom sound set but alas.
Good job here is a star you earned it.
Topic Starter
Charles445

ztrot wrote:

Timing on this map feels fine charles tho I was thinking you could probably do a bit more with the SB but that is just me.
Also some of the sliderkicks felt a bit over used, other than that the insane plays really nicely.
I was hoping to see a custom sound set but alas.
Good job here is a star you earned it.
Went and removed every kickslider that appeared at the end of streams. Now that I think about it, they were silly to have to begin with.

I tried to keep the SB as minimal as possible, you know, so it doesn't distract the player that much. It's not really meant to be a jaw dropping piece at all, it's there just to be nice. I could probably do more with the SB, but I'm not sure what that would be and I don't really think it would add too much considering it's barely noticeable as is

As for custom sound sets, I don't really have a good library of custom hitsounds. All the ones I had with me didn't work at all, but the slightly modified ones I used in ywbp worked really well I think.
Zelos
This needs more way more attention.

Your message is too short. Please do not post messages like "star", and make sure you are constructively adding to the thread in question.
SapphireGhost
I'm really tired right now I'll mod this later I promise.
MathiasXII
[Normal]:
AR-1. AR6 looks kinda fast for a normal, especially with such a slowly paced song.
I would agree with that one though Charles... lowering the AR by 1 (or even 2... I thought it look nice lowered down two ticks) would be a good idea. I don't think the AR fits the difficulty right now hehe, especially if someone decides to play it in hard mode.

The only thing with two AR ticks is that some notes overlaps others more easily... idk. You should check it out :).
Topic Starter
Charles445
Lowered AR on easy and normal then.                                                                   
MathiasXII

Charles445 wrote:

Lowered AR on easy and normal then.                                                                   
This is perfect!
SapphireGhost
Are there giants too, in the dance?

Excuse me, I was quoting random song lyrics. There might be a mod or something in this post too.
It's probably in this box.
[General]
- I believe you can disable the initial background image and have the second one come in with the SB Load guide
- I'd set your offset to 1965. Yes, I know you don't care but the song actually does start at that point.
- Start all your ending spinners at the same time, please.

[Easy]
01:09:165 - This break isn't unmapped on any other difficulty so it would be nice to fill it in here.

[MathiasXII's Nohohormal]
02:16:365 (4,5,6) - Overlap here, it makes me sad.
02:19:005 (2,3,4) - And here as well! What happened?
02:55:245 (5) - Oh dear. Make this symmetrical, please.
03:00:525 (1) - This linear felt a bit out of place in the otherwise curvy map.

Watching letters light up has never been more entertaining. I admit, I confess, I'm impressed.
Topic Starter
Charles445

SapphireGhost wrote:

Are there giants too, in the dance?

Excuse me, I was quoting random song lyrics. There might be a mod or something in this post too.
It's probably in this box.
[General]
- I believe you can disable the initial background image and have the second one come in with the SB Load guide If the background was disabled, the white flashes would be black.
- I'd set your offset to 1965. Yes, I know you don't care but the song actually does start at that point. ner ner ner you and your main menu pulsing
- Start all your ending spinners at the same time, please. Uh, no.

[Easy]
01:09:165 - This break isn't unmapped on any other difficulty so it would be nice to fill it in here. But but but I don't want to and ughhghghguhg fine I'll do it I guess maybe

[MathiasXII's Nohohormal]
02:16:365 (4,5,6) - Overlap here, it makes me sad. That's quite the nazi you got there
02:19:005 (2,3,4) - And here as well! What happened? You're wrong actually, they're not overlapping. I'll move them anyway.
02:55:245 (5) - Oh dear. Make this symmetrical, please. hrgrghlfhglr
03:00:525 (1) - This linear felt a bit out of place in the otherwise curvy map. I'm gonna need Mathias' opinion on that.

Watching letters light up has never been more entertaining. I admit, I confess, I'm impressed.
I'll upperdate when I mappan the ez
show more