forum

Circles and sliders randomly vanish during songs

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LockeZ_old
Sometimes, in the middle of a song, a circle will appear for me to click, and a ring will start closing in on it. But before the ring gets close enough that I can click, either the circle or the ring or both will vanish without a trace. It's not just a graphical error; once either the circle or the ring has disappeared, I miss the note no matter what I do. (The X for a missed note still appears)

The same thing happens with sliders. Sometimes the ring disappears before it gets to close in all the way. Or else the whole slider (plus the ball) disappears, either while the ring is closing in on it, or while I'm in the process of sliding. If I'm already sliding when it disappears, it gives me an X for a missed note. (It may give me 100 points if the slider is very close to the end when it disappears; I haven't tested this properly)

These bugs have happened to me on virtually every song I've played (which is maybe 30-40 different songs by a variety of beatmappers), and never at the same place twice. If I replay the song the same beat or slider will not disappear again.

If I play a normal length beatmap all the way through, I seem to get this bug about 10% of the time.
Saturos
And you're sure you're not attempting to click them extremely early?

I have to ask. This is definitely something that's never been mentioned before.
peppy
I'm totally stumped. All I could suggest is making a video of your gameplay so we can see it.
Gemi
This is most likely you clicking too early on the place of the note. That causes behavior like you described. I used to have this same thing earlier and this is the only explanation that works for me and I'm able to reproduce.
Echo
I don't think this is clicking extremely early.

If you click too early the note will just vibrate, otherwise it'll instantly become a cross.

Although the approach circle of the sliders will disappear if you click too early, the ball doesn't disappear, which he says has happened as well.
Gemi

Echo49 wrote:

I don't think this is clicking extremely early.

If you click too early the note will just vibrate, otherwise it'll instantly become a cross.

Although the approach circle of the sliders will disappear if you click too early, the ball doesn't disappear, which he says has happened as well.
Yes, usually it either vibrates or becomes a miss, but sometimes the explained thing is what happens. After memorizing places where this has happened, I think it's always after the beginning of a song or after a break. I also think it doesn't happen if I just click on the spot of the next note/slider, but also hold and drag the mouse cursor a bit after clicking.

I'll try to actively reproduce this later if peppy has no ideas on what is going on.
Echo
If there is a beat really early in the song, but there's also lead-in time, clicking where the beat is during the lead-in time (before you can see it) makes it an automatic miss.

I mentioned it to peppy a long time ago but I don't think he fixed it? ;)
Gemi
I tested a bit. Clicking too early just makes the note miss, causing the approach circle and the number on the note to vanish, but the slider ball etcetera work as intended, unlike for the original poster.
Topic Starter
LockeZ_old
Of course it might be my own error, but if so, I'm not sure what would cause it other than a faulty mouse, which I really don't think is the case. I'm willing to record my play and make a video of the bug in action, but I don't know how. What's a good program to use for capturing my screen to a video file?
peppy
Camtasia or Fraps. Camtasia offers 30day trial, fraps offers 30second max limit. take your pick, i guess.