forum

Difficulty rating [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts

Song difficulty ratings...

Should be decided by the beatmap creator.
28.00%
Should be left automatic but fixed to represent difficulty much better.
72.00%
Total votes: 25
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
awp

Puffles wrote:

3.5 Stars (but deserves 5 stars!)

peppy wrote:

awp wrote:

peppy wrote:

We are working on making the star system more fair, in the near future.
Perhaps the ability to allow a user-defined difficulty ranking system? Based on input given from the Ranked-Beatmaps process and all...I think it might work if people aren't dicks about it.
You know.. this could just work. Maybe this needs a general/featurerequest thread! Not the best place to talk about it here!
no u
Ivalset
At the moment, star rating seems to represent how much the game is trying to kick you in the butt with an improvised object, rather than the overall difficulty of the map. I'm not sure of a better way to rank the difficulty than the current way, but something should be changed.
peppy

Ivalset wrote:

At the moment, star rating seems to represent how much the game is trying to fuck you in the ass with an improvised object, rather than the overall difficulty of the map. I'm not sure of a better way to rank the difficulty than the current way, but something should be changed.
Oh I have some thoughts. The current formula is horrible. I think I must have been short on sleep when I decided on it. It can DEFINITELY be improved.
Gilrad
How about, taking a nod from programs like Stepmania, it ranks the beatmap on several levels.
Such as:
Reflex - referring to slider speed and the average gap between notes that are close together in terms of time
Twitch - referring to how fast the notes come in and how small they are
Mercy - referring to hp drain compared to sections that are high in the reflex category

Additionally, there could be two little notifications:
No Stylus: When you have notes that are too close together for it to work with a stylus
No mouse: when you have notes that are too small, too far away, and with too little time for it to work with a mouse.
peppy

Gilrad wrote:

How about, taking a nod from programs like Stepmania, it ranks the beatmap on several levels.
Such as:
Reflex - referring to slider speed and the average gap between notes that are close together in terms of time
Twitch - referring to how fast the notes come in and how small they are
Mercy - referring to hp drain compared to sections that are high in the reflex category
These are already visible on the web interface. We are talking about the overall rating here (which I don't plan on expanding on) which is shown in-game and used for sorting. This also takes each of the above into account currently, as well as the number of hitobjects per playtime-second. Its just a bit gimped at the moment.

Gilrad wrote:

Additionally, there could be two little notifications:
No Stylus: When you have notes that are too close together for it to work with a stylus
No mouse: when you have notes that are too small, too far away, and with too little time for it to work with a mouse.
How does no stylus work o.O I don't get it!
Topic Starter
awp
I think by "No Stylus" he means "with stylus". If stylus equates to tablet, I don't see it as an issue. With the invention of Ctrl/Z/Spacebar tapping, notes that are close together are a breeze, at least for me. Anyhow,

"as well as the number of hitobjects per playtime-second" (Too lazy to copy-pasta and quote)

This sounds like it's taking an overall average, and not factoring in specific densities. I could have a 6 minute song with, for the most part, 1 beat every two seconds, and then in one section just slam down four beats a second for a while, and the program would (presumably) report a rather low hitobjects per playtime-second. I know it would be a bitch to try and automatically dissect the songs for particularly dense sections, and then try and rate each of them specifically, favouring the more difficult parts, but wouldn't it be so much easier if the community decided a ranking on a per-submission basis? =D?

At least for now?

I'm actually impartial - just trying to lighten the load a bit.
peppy
OH he means the timing is too close for stylus - you cant tap as fast as you can dual-mouse-button wield! I see.
Gilrad

peppy wrote:

These are already visible on the web interface. We are talking about the overall rating here (which I don't plan on expanding on) which is shown in-game and used for sorting. This also takes each of the above into account currently, as well as the number of hitobjects per playtime-second. Its just a bit gimped at the moment.
Oh, they take the beatmap's structure into consideration? I thought they were just hard values for what you set in game (i.e. three and a half stars for setting any of their respective sliders in the middle)

Anyway, maybe you could give the star rating a little more bias to difficulty spikes... Say you have a song with an average difficulty of three stars, and a small section that would be considered four stars. If you could automatically analyze the beatmap to find the highest difficulty concentration (probably on beatmap saves), you could take the average of the spike and the overall song average, giving the song an overall difficulty of three and a half stars.

edit-and yea, that's what I meant with the no-stylus thing.
peppy
New eyupstars rating system is implemented in b127. Feedback please!
eyup
Just a note to all - the new ratings have not been implemented on the web yet, so there will be a discrepancy (although if you're interested you can see how much the rating has changed by comparing the two). Will hopefully be updated soon though!
eyup
Mmmm double posting. The star difficulty system has been modified following feedback from some mappers. It now takes into account the speed of the sliders, and there is less skewing towards higher star ratings. Hopefully the stars are more accurate reflections of the song difficulty now.

Would love further feedback on whether any more improvements can be made. The algorithm is by no means perfect yet.