forum

Fumie Kumatani - Theme of "E-102r"

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheRagnarok
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Sunday, November 09, 2008 at 8:32:41 PM

Artist: Fumie Kumatani
Title: Theme of "E-102y"
Source: Sonic Adventure (DX)
Tags: sonic adventure e-102 gamma
BPM: 120
Filesize: 6696kb
Play Time: 03:18
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1.85 stars, 184 notes)
  2. Normal (3.45 stars, 232 notes)
  3. Insane (4.53 stars, 328 notes)
Download: Fumie Kumatani - Theme of "E-102y"
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Here's my 2nd: another character theme from the Sonic Adventure Series. I always thought this one was pretty slick. And upon osu!, I also thought it deserved a beatmap!

Note: I wasn't intending to map anything above insane (this isn't exactly an insane song >_>). Yet on my hard difficulty, I ended up throwing in more notes than I thought I would, and the star rating seemed to ask for the Insane title instead. I would like some input if it is, in fact, otherwise.

Enjoy!

Edit: uncrossed two sliders on Normal

Edit: Have made use of more recent sound effect updates (claps and slider node noises)

Edit: Made some changes via MetalMario's suggestions

Edit: I think I did this right. Full Sumbission. Informed by Sinistro that closest english letter to Greek Gamma is "y." changed title as such

Edit: Changed offset as per MetalMario's resuggestion.

Edit: Made some changes supergarlic style

Edit: Filled in gaps & changed offset as per Seibei's suggestions

Edit: Metroid was awesome enough to provide a png of Gamma for a comboburst. Looks good. Thanks Metroid!

Edit: Easy Map tweaking via Seibei's guidance

Edit: Offset slip-up corrected

Edit: Countdown removed
ReploidArmada
Dude, I love this map. I am a veteran of SA1 and so far this is a solid beatmap that only needs some touch-up. The only thing that really needs to get done, at least from my perspective, is to fix the spacing. Some (00:24:94 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) on Normal) beats are too close, while others (01:36:44 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) on Normal) are much too far apart. In addition, at 01:59:69 (5,6) on Normal, you should seperate the 2 sliders.

Any other suggestions that would be made would probably have to be done by a BAT or a mod.
Topic Starter
TheRagnarok
Alright, I uncrossed those two sliders at 01:59:69 (5,6), but i would like to argue in regards to the spacing:

I actually used the distance snap tool pretty religiously this time, just as a note of reference. But I noticed when playing some songs that some ranked beatmap authors temporarily put extra spacing (not less, as I think that's frowned upon) between beats for a sort of "difficulty spike." As an example, I'm thinking of Theme of Butsutekkai by kingcobra52 (a BAT) on hard difficulty at 00:48:73. The spot at (01:36:44 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2)) was aimed to be something like that. Because this section is between a break and a spinner, it should give the player time mentally orient themselves to that section. Everywhere else should be evenly spaced.

But don't let that stop you or anyone from providing more advice or point out mistakes! :P
Topic Starter
TheRagnarok
Topic Starter
TheRagnarok
...bump? :(
Topic Starter
TheRagnarok
I decided to make use of the somewhat recent sound effect updates. Threw in some claps, played with differing slider noises, and the like. An improvement in some way.

...Though people with a sharp eye may read this as an excuse to bump this beatmap...>.>
XepherX3
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
britishgaijin
Freaking good map for a freaking good song.
Keep it up, man.

I love how the finishes are at just the right times in the song - they couldn't have been put anywhere else. Nice one, dude.
mm201
This song is really fun to play!

I'm seeing this timing:
BPM: 120 (You have 120.004 for some reason. Probably an old build of osu! with the 2 digit BPM to blame. :P)
Offset: 24,460

Easy:
  1. Everything here looks perfect. :)
Normal:
  1. 02:32:44 (1,2) - This small jump might surprise some Normal players. It matches a jump on Insane so you might want to hang on to it for consistency; it's up to you.
Insane:
  1. Seems overall a bit easy for an Insane difficulty, since it only took me a few tries to FC, and I'm no Cyclone. :P
  2. 01:37:45 (1,2,3) and 01:39:45 (1,2,3) - IMO would look more professional if the 2 and 3 of each group were flipped. (symmetry mod <3)
  3. 00:28:95 (1), 01:19:20 (6), 01:48:95 (1) - IMO these linear sliders look ugly. Make more curvy. :)
So yeah. Everything else checks out from a technical standpoint. Just the timing and some cosmetics. You get a Fake Star:

Topic Starter
TheRagnarok
Alright, made some changes as per MetalMario's suggestions, though I would like to add some of my thoughts on them:

BPM: I'm pretty sure I did put 120. Weird. Oh well, fix'd.
Offset: Made the change, though I can't help but feel that the beat sound effects are lagging behind slightly (more noticeable in Intense). I'll keep it unless someone says otherwise

Easy:
Blarg

Normal:
Agreed, and changed

Intense:
*This was originally supposed to be Hard, though I did more things then I planned and the stars say 4.5. So I named it Intense. Will change it back to hard if enough people think so
* I like symmetry too :) Fix'd
*I didn't change those sliders though. I meant to have the ball bounce in the sliders in accordance to the music. Curves won't make that happen the way I meant it. I hope that overcomes their ugliness :?

mm201

TheRagnarok wrote:

Offset: Made the change, though I can't help but feel that the beat sound effects are lagging behind slightly (more noticeable in Intense). I'll keep it unless someone says otherwise
That's probably your universal offset talking. (I thought the same thing when awp offered me a "late" offset.)

Got you a reference song on IRC to help you with that.
FriSha_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
TheRagnarok
Hmm...my knowledge of the Greek alphabet only goes so far...and Gamma isn't a letter that I'm too familiar with
However, the site I got this song from listed the song title as I have it written now. Granted, they may have had it wrong too...
If anyone pops up saying that they're sure it's "y" instead of "r," I'll figure out how to change it :P
Topic Starter
TheRagnarok
Ok, I was just informed by Sinistro (who is Greek) that the Greek letter for Gamma is "γ." Yet, because submission only takes english letters, the closest I'll get is "y." As such, I did a full submission to change the title accordingly. Hope I did that right. :D
Thanks Sinistro!
mm201
γ

(or Γ if you like uppercase and are a closet Waluigi lover :P)

Copy/paste that into the .osu files, being sure to save as UTF8. osu! seems to be handling it just fine, and I wouldn't expect submission to cause any troubles. (Not 100% sure on this.) Troubles happen when filenames contain international characters, because the .osz format (basically a renamed .zip) doesn't support them.

Strangely, the offset I gave you sounds perfect in the timing panel, but makes all the hitnoises (under Auto or when played in the editor) sound late. 24,450 still sounds good in the timing panel but corrects this.

Edit: I see. 24,460 was synched to these snare drum like sounds, which are a bit late from the rest of the music. Go with 24,450. 'u_u

Edit2: Scratch this. osu! automatically changes the filenames to match the Song Name field once you re-save. My workaround won't work.
Topic Starter
TheRagnarok
Changed offset to MetalMario's recent suggestion. It does indeed agree with me more.
Wizard Of Orz
Topic Starter
TheRagnarok
Made changes with supergarlic's suggestions, though with some exceptions/comments:

Easy:
- Good point. Shortened spinner
Normal:
-01:54:700- Don't know how I missed that! :? Good eye!
-02:36:450- I take this as personal taste. Not sure if this is a big deal, though I'll leave it there for now...
-02:46:700- I'm not sure what's wrong with this pattern, and I don't think you specified... :?
Insane:
-00:28:950- I still take this as personal taste, though my judgement in that may be inexperienced. If a BAT shares your thoughts on this, then away the slider goes :P
-01:03:700- Must of happened when I wasn't looking :D Fix'd
-01:48:950- Same as [00:28:950] comment
-02:00:950- :oops: Fix'd
-02:47:700- This is one of those spots where I tried taking a step out of nazi spacing. I did the same around 01:37:45. Not changed, though can be convinced via BAT
-02:53:980- Fix'd

...am I talking back too much? :oops: I feel like this is becoming a habbit :?
Sinistro
Disregard my irc comments about spacing, I'm just not used at all to 0.6x spacing. :?

In fact, I don't believe I see any problems at all. Well, in Insane the drain and slider ticks are high and low enough respectively so that you lose health while following a slider...but it's Insane, and the loss is probably not bad enough.

You get a bubble. :)
Seibei4211
Easy/Normal
I have a real problem with these pauses. Almost 5 seconds each with no "breaks".

00:28:70
00:44:70
00:52:70
01:48:70
02:04:70
02:12:70

Even if you turned them into breaks, there'd be a lot of boring downtime. I suggest closing the gap with some simple mapping. Something.

And I like an offset of 24,436 while we're at it.
show more