forum

Matchbox Twenty - 3 AM

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
foulcoon
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 11:41:04 PM

Artist: Matchbox Twenty
Title: 3 AM
BPM: 108.32
Filesize: 5368kb
Play Time: 02:13
Difficulties Available:
  1. Normal (2.42 stars, 121 notes)
  2. Hard (4.7 stars, 446 notes)
Download: Matchbox Twenty - 3 AM
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
For LuigiHann's Matchbox 20 project. Dakeyrus doesn't have time for this one, so its on me now.

The Normal was created by LuigiHann. Thanks, because I sure as hell couldn't make it the slighest bit of fun.

Other difficulty was created by foulcoon pawnch himself.

Insane was removed.... if you wish to play it in all its glory: http://up.ppy.sh/files/matchboxtwenty-3am(foulcoon)insane.rar
Echo
1. Offset: 8,960ms BPM: 108.30
2. Offset: 88,738ms BPM: 108.20
3. Offset: 115,355ms BPM: 108.30

I don't like how I'm using 3 sections but I can't do any better.
Echo
@bump:

01:06:57 (1) - end 1/4 earlier or later (you choose)
01:29:98 (1,2,3,4) - 1/8 earlier
01:50:64 (3) - 1/4 longer

So far looks fine. You're going to finish this completely, right?
Topic Starter
foulcoon
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
DawnII
00:19:62 (2,3) - Not really a fan of this kind of stack. Also puts (4) too close.
00:41:64 (6) - Too far from (5).
01:21:67 (2,3) - Same as first.
01:31:09 (5) - Too close to (4).
02:12:80 (8) - There is a really long pause after this. Probably should add a break or something.
DawnII
Ugh ok I'm uploading the .osu cause I don't feel like typing all the crap out.

Download: Matchbox Twenty - 3 AM (foulcoon) [Hard].osu
Topic Starter
foulcoon
DawnII, you are my new personal timer kk?

fix'd.

Thank you Dawnnnnn ;D
LuigiHann
Here's my take on the hitsounds. Feel free to use them as-is, or just use this as a guide and place them yourself.

Download: Matchbox Twenty - 3 AM (foulcoon) [hitsounds].osu
awp
I tried to simplify it as much as I could - it sounds like there's just one solid BPM, but occasionally during silences there's a bit of a lag (~15ms) so that's where the timing sections come from:

BPM: 108.325
Offsets: 8960 ... 71020 ... 130880 ... 184040
LuigiHann
Here's my Normal mode (attached). Based on the name of this, and the name of your Hard mode, I think you can guess my suggestion for Insane mode's name. It kind of fits :p

Download: Matchbox Twenty - 3 AM (foulcoon) [She says, Baby...].osu
LuigiHann
I was going to bubble this but since I made a difficulty I don't think that's allowed. foulcoon's hard and insane difficulties came out well.
CheeseWarlock
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

Download: Giorgio Vanni e Cristina D'Avena - Roba da Gatti! (TV Size) (Kuroneko-sHerald) [zeconda].osu
awp
I'm gonna giga-nazi this with a bubble-pop, and I'm probably the only BAT who would, but! But, I say!

Vocals should influence a beatmap.
Vocals should not dictate a beatmap.

Normal and Hard (I think?) have several well-mapped sections, as well as several "I'll nail this section after watching autoplay a dozen times to get the timing down" section, and the latter I'm going to police the shit out of.

[She says baby]
Okay, so I'm basing this on the assumption that this is "Easy mode". The difficulties are extremely cryptic and I can't make heads or tails of them. So let's assume this is "Easy mode".
00:36:93 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - there's a fair number of quarter hits, which is a rare sight on easy mode. They match up to the vocals reasonably well enough, but the purpose of Easy mode, along with introducing the player to the gameplay it introduces them to the song, but the timing of these notes requires the player to know the song really well before-hand. The flow here is really quite lacking and it makes for an overall negative experience, I think.

[3 AM]
01:08:50 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) - This is an example of vocals suitably mapped. It still has a flow you could follow on a sightread - something you could even drum on your lap without any sort of visual prompt.
01:29:99 (1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7) and 01:38:99 (1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - These aren't the best example of unintuitive play, [3 AM] flows reasonably well, but they're definite "wait what the fuck is going on" segments for someone who doesn't know the song by heart (imo).
02:57:40 (2) - if you want to force this note to be a loud sampleset, add an additional timing point a half a beat early. The way things are, if you click this note earlier than perfect, it's going to be a soft sample hit.

Ultimately, when I'm playing/autoplaying this song, there's a constant opinion battle of "I can't approve of this" during a lot of vocal segments, and "This flows really well" during the non-vocal segments, where you just need to feel the rhythm to play along.

(I don't know if it's "ethical" to pop a bubble that imo negates the rhythm of the song but I am a maverick woosh)
Topic Starter
foulcoon

awp wrote:

I'm gonna giga-nazi this with a bubble-pop, and I'm probably the only BAT who would, but! But, I say! jerk.

[She says baby]
00:36:93 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - there's a fair number of quarter hits, which is a rare sight on easy mode. They match up to the vocals reasonably well enough, but the purpose of Easy mode, along with introducing the player to the gameplay it introduces them to the song, but the timing of these notes requires the player to know the song really well before-hand. The flow here is really quite lacking and it makes for an overall negative experience, I think.

[3 AM]
01:29:99 (1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7) fix'd in a way that beats fall on half beats, seems easier and 01:38:99 (1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,6,7) I cannot find a possible solution to this, can it be that one "challenging" part of the map or something? xD
02:57:40 (2) - if you want to force this note to be a loud sampleset, add an additional timing point a half a beat early. The way things are, if you click this note earlier than perfect, it's going to be a soft sample hit. fix'd

Ultimately, when I'm playing/autoplaying this song, there's a constant opinion battle of "I can't approve of this" sure you can. during a lot of vocal segments, and "This flows really well" during the non-vocal segments, where you just need to feel the rhythm to play along.

(I don't know if it's "ethical" to pop a bubble that imo negates the rhythm of the song but I am a maverick woosh) I was a POW ya know. *grumble grumble moan* ohi Sarah "Barracuda" Palin
That was fun. I need to talk to LH about difficulty names / solutions to your issues with the map. I fixed your examples, but I can't go hunting for other instances atm.
LuigiHann
Normal difficulty fixed.

Download: Matchbox Twenty - 3 AM (foulcoon) [Normal].osu
James
i still find the timing is off, id rank this if any other mod can confirm with the timing.

Download: Unheilig - Geboren um zu leben (MusicBoX) [Jagang's & MusicBox' Collab].osu
Rolled
Let it be known that I in no way really modded this beatmap, just gave the timing a look on foul's request. I managed to SS luigi's difficulty, but did pretty poorly on foul's but that is because it is very heavily vocally mapped, and I don't know the song all that well.

Hopefully i'll get some time to further nazi this, but if anybody feels they should rank this based on my above statement go right ahead.
James
And it shall be ranked! ;)

P.S. dont blame me of timing is off..

foulcoon's last words before dy-- i mean before I rank his map~
( foulcoon ) awp might be pissed because of vocal based mapping
( foulcoon ) but nobody else had a problem with it
Topic Starter
foulcoon
And by nobody else I mean the people who played it. If anyone thinks this needs to be unranked, I'll fix whatever it is, but I really see no reason it shouldn't be ranked.
awp
Is Sarah Palin's nickname seriously Barracuda? It should be Cougar if anything.
show more