posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
K2J
Get Release 4

Get Release 3

Get Release 2

---

Though there's already at least one other Pokemon skin I know of, I felt compelled to create one based off of the games that started it all; I've been a fan of the games moreso than the series in general. This is also an easy topic for a newbie, as the graphics are very simple.

Download: http://up.ppy.sh/files/pkmnrbrelease1.zip

Any tips or suggestions would be helpful. I'm new to GIMP (and layered image editing in general), but I'm excited when I learn it. I'm especially concerned about the thickness of the guide circles, so if anyone has a simple way of thinning those out without messing up the placement in relation to the circle, that would be nice.

YoshiKart
Why is Mew Meowth?

In general, besides the pixelation, I guess this is pretty well done. Make sure you make some awesome health bars and spinners.

I want to look at this in-depth on the weekend.
Ekaru
This paragraph has been removed by: too wordy nazi

tl;dr: The Missingno sprite looks out of place and ugly as hell. Should've just said that. oh well. I prefer the artwork in the game and that I loved as a elementary school procrastinator, thanks.

For Miss, I would put Magikarp there, and for 50, I'd put Metapod or somethin'. Other than that, it's fine and dandy, want to see more... AFTER you get the approach circles and hit circles fixed up. It's kinda hard to do stacks ATM, lol. Or just play in general. Can't wait to see more, after you fix the circle issue/have someone fix it for you and hopefully change that really ugly, out of place sprite. :)

So yeah, it's not THAT bad, just needs you to finish it up and REALLY fix the playability issue that you're well aware of. lol Nice idea on using the Pokemon for the hit sprites. ;)

EDIT: YoshiKart, Meowth isn't Mew. Play the skin and you'll get why. Mew is the 300 sprite for a combo with a 100 or more in it, and Meowth is the 100 sprite, and he used 'Mew' in place of the kanji, so... =P

Oh, and I found it isn't that hard to play once you get used to it. Kind of liking it now, except for the Missingno sprite. So out of place to me, dunno why!

Oh, and I like the approach circles now, just as they are. I just had to adjust my eyes and timing, and I'm doing just fine now.

Oh, let's see how many Oh's we can add.
Topic Starter
K2J
No, I agree with your first assessment that the guide circles need help. I rather like Missingno., but if there's a big outcry, I'll move Magikarp down and put a bug type.

I felt the Mew/Mewtwo worked best for similarities to Beat/Elite Beat, and Meowth is technically a cat...

The spinner's going to be based off of evolution of some kind, in a way that doesn't interfere with gameplay.
Topic Starter
K2J
Just a quick status update from what I've in 10 days off and on. Note that I'm not going to distribute the parts of the EBA skin I have in there as placeholders, obviously.

Sliders
- Slider Ball is now a monochrome Red (the player character) spinning and the turn arrow is a redirection panel from Team Rocket Hideout and Veridian Gym.

Menus
- Panels for songs are a cross between Pokédex entries and status screen elements. OT appears near mapper's name, Monster sprite represents difficulty.
- Burst stars are now Staryu.
- Submenu blocks are based off of dialogue boxes.
- Mods, Random, and Options are represented by Prof. Oak, Clefairy, and a PC, respectively.

Other Unseen Stuff
- Health bar now has no icon over it; it's just a bar that drains.
- Got a little bit of the Spinner done; it's going to be based off of Eevee with it and its three Gen I evolutions in the circle spinning.
- If anyone's got access to Gen I Ken Sugimori art of the human characters and such, please let me know!

Topic Starter
K2J
Release #2! Contains new hitcircles; perhaps they're a bit better?

Oh look, I've got a combo burst, too! I'll probably do the other Sugimori-stuff next (countdown, for instance)

Yeah, and I decided that Missingno. was a bit of a stark contrast, too, even if it was a bit of a joke. He's replaced with a self-description of a player that misses a lot of these: someone who takes 5 seconds to feel pain.

awp
Hahaha I lolled at MISSingno that is clever
Topic Starter
K2J
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

YoshiKart
Doesn't look that wordy to me, although spinning will kill the effect (sort of).

For spinner-osu.png, how about something where you "pressed B" and the evolution got cancelled? It's a bit hard to incorporate... it's more appropriate for X, but there's no spinner element for that. =/
awp
What about keeping the circle as part of the background, and the thing you're spinning is an arrow, so it's kind of like a Wheel of Fortune affair and where the arrow lands (spinner ends) is whether Eevee evolves or not.
YoshiKart
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
K2J
Actually, if there's an easy way to draw perfect 120 degree angles from the center, I might remove Eevee entirely. And make it the "arrow". That way, the osu! effect could always say something like "Evolution Successful".
Slain087
This works on paper, but I've never tried it on a computer:

1) Draw circle.
2) Embed an equilateral triangle in the circle (on paper, I know you can do this by using a compass, but I can't remember how).
3) Draw lines from intersecting vertices to the center.
4) ????
Topic Starter
K2J
dumpsterdiver
an easier way would be like this

Topic Starter
K2J
Status update; comments appreciated.

Spinner, now with Eevee being the rotating object. I haven't decided if I'm going to put names on the Eeveelutions or not, but I'll definately add an "Evolution Complete" text somewhere during the bonus buildup.

osu! effect is 150% size as template, but the birds are semi-transparent. Does that impede on playability too much (notes after the spinner and such)?

Since the spinner's using the warning arrow, I decided to replace the warning arrow so it wouldn't look so odd.

Topic Starter
K2J
Release 3...

Are you ready image. I thought of doing something like "osu! wants to fight!" or something*, but I figured that would be a bit distracting. I'll definately work textboxes into the pass/fail icons.

*I've since changed the default background to be the title screen instead of a battle screen, so it wouldn't look duplicated if I did decide to use this. Obviously, Eggman is not part of my skin.

Countdown. I realize that the rival is called "Green" in Japan and thus his match of background color and starter mon aren't correct, but I'm doing a Pokemon skin, not a Pocket Monsters skin. His name is Blue as far as I'm concerned. Besides, even (anime) Gary/Shigeru chose Squirtle.

The Legendary text is now back to normal size and the birds are even less opaque. I ditched the Eevee-as-spinner motif, instead just using thirds for the three Eeveelutions (but without text). Eevee appears next to the "What? Eevee is evolving!" text now. I'll get to the Bonus text next.

Next up is a little cleanup and the numbers. I'm planning on using the in-game text with a drop shadow - any comments?

Olinad
Love it O.O I'm definitely gonna use this ;)
Remco32
Aaaaaah, memory's
Can't wait for the final version :D

Download: Linkin Park - Breaking The Habit (Slowmotion) [MoonShade's Normal].osu
Topic Starter
K2J
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to incorperate more monster types into the skin? I'm planning on making the Rank icons (SS, S, A...) into various human sprites and was thinking about doing the same with the mods, but... there's 12 mods (although not all are skinnable yet), and I've used Water, Normal, Electric, Psychic, and Fire so far. That's more than enough to give each mod a type (there's only 15 in this Generation, remember)... any suggestions? I have a devious idea for Auto when it finally becomes skinnable...

Here's my plan for what to do next, in order:
- Score Numbers (done, but I'll probbably redo them to have fixed-width)
- Redo Browser Buttons (Mods/Random/Options/Sort) now that I know how GIMP works
- Do something with the spinner's bars and background, possibly involving Bill (he is an Eevee fan, after all)
- Slider follow circle (Magneton?) and points
- Results Screen and Ranking
- Mod Icons
- Sounds (Normal = Battle Sounds, Soft = Field Sounds, Menu = Menu Sounds)
show more