forum

I stink at "Osu!" but awesome at Ouendan and EBA...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
crashblast23
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Nharox

crashblast23 wrote:

How do you guys do it?
We play the game. More than one week. And some users use a graphic tablet.
Zerostarry

crashblast23 wrote:

It's cause of the stupid mouse! If "Osu!" was on DS I could be on top of every Score Board in the site! >_>

How do you guys do it?! How do you get an S rank with that cursed mouse (Changing Sensitivity does not help)
If there is a song you have trouble FC'ing (full combo) you should watch through it in editor. Also, divide the map up into parts, and run through all of them in test. I usually try to SS (hit all 300s) on each part, after that, the map will be..alot easier.

I don't know if anyone else does this, but it's the way that works best for me :P
Saturos
I'm willing to say that over 80% of new users say the exact same thing you just did. Everyone claims to be godly at OSO/EBA, and completely fail at first at osu!

Point being, though; everyone is bad initially. Keep playing.

Pro-tip: Find a sensitivity you're happy with and don't adjust it ever again.
YoshiKart
Same here. When I first joined, I looked at others' replays and said "they must have a Tablet PC or something".

Apparently not. Most top players are mouse people. They rarely own a tablet (PC).

Just keep playing and hope your game doesn't lag.
RemmyX25
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Echo
LuigiHann
Lots of practice. Remember back to when you were starting out at EBA (or Ouendan, whichever you played first), I'm sure you couldn't jump into Canned Heat or Material Girl and S-rank them right away. The gameplay of osu! is modeled after the DS games, but the actual skills required to play it are very different, so just think of it as a new game to learn to play.

Also, there are certain things, like using keyboard keys instead of mouse buttons, that a lot of higher-level players need to use to get through hard maps. Players using mouse buttons can get high scores (see: Saturos) but I think that's an exception. I never use the keyboard, and my skill seems to have plateaued at "mediocre" as a result.
Slain087
Trust me, it also works in complete opposite. I'm pretty good on osu!, but I suck horribly on Ouendan and EBA. It's the damn sliders. And my habit of pause/restart.
adamskii_uk
When you're playing EBA and Ouendan on the DS you are using a stylus, and when you are playing Osu! you're using a mouse. When you're using the stylus on the DS, you are holding it differently compared to how you hold your mouse with Osu!, so you are using different muscle groups in your hand, wrist and forearm. Since the unconscious brain operates at a much higher speed than the conscious mind. For you to be good at Osu! just like you are with EBA and Ouendan on the DS, you will need to train the muscle groups that you use when controlling the mouse, so that it becomes an unconsious process.

Also, other factors you have to take into account are mouse sensitivity and orientation, since if you rotate the mouse slightly clockwise or anticlockwise, it can make the cursor more difficult to control. To see what I mean, rotate your mouse and wrist 45-90 degrees and then try moving the cursor around the screen. Just rotating your wrist slightly whilst performing a long curved slider will change your mouse orientation by a few degrees and thus will make a slider harder to complete. So you will have to learn to keep your mouse orientation the same whilst moving the cursor around the screen.

Download: Henri Des - Petit Ours Brun (Mustaash) [Dagonpater's Taiko Muzukashii].osu
Echo
adamskii_uk

Echo wrote:

Now that you mention it, I've recently realised that I actually rotate my mouse about 10 degrees anticlockwise when playing Osu. Consciously trying to keep my mouse "straight" actually makes Osu a lot harder to play for me, so I guess it's true that even a small change can impact your playing ability.

Hmmm... did I mention that I once snapped my stylus in half by holding it too tightly while playing SSAY :P
It's OK if you rotate your mouse slightly whilst playing, since with repetition, the human brain will eventually adapt to the changes of the mouse orientation as you're playing. I only suggested keeping the mouse straight to make learning Osu! with the mouse much easier, since it will take a lot longer to learn to move the cursor around the screen properly, when the mouse orientation is changing constantly during play.
Zerostarry
Also, you might want to check this thread out.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4280
Sousei
Seraph_old
Two_old
GSR_old
I've no problems with the mouse, it's just that I need a new one - mine doesn't click very well. That and occasionally I bump into things since I have a cluttered desk.

Ironically, when I got my hands on a tablet PC to play Osu! I ended up doing worse because the stylus/screen isn't 1:1 or fast enough for Osu. :P
crystalsuicune
Practise.A lot.Considering my ranking,it proves
that I -did not- do that...SHAME,CRYSTAL!SHAME!!
And using the tablet is easier than using the mouse,
something to do with reaction time maybe.My mouse
hand is much slower than my tablet hand.

Also,try working from not-so-hard maps to get more
used to osu gameplay,before setting for the harder ones.

(now there Crystal..I don't think you're on the right position to
say that.)
Slain087
I would like to post an addendum to my previous post. Granted, osu! is a bit harder reaching the notes themselves, or clicking the deathstreams, but it makes up for it by having a larger AoE on the cursor and more lenient timing for the pressing of notes.

This comes from a single day of observation on EBA (which I just bought today, btw, first DS game, first time using the stylus, etc.), and months upon months of practice on osu! (on mouse, so no accusing me of being a tablet player), but I think osu! is a better starting point for beginners than EBA/Ouendan. The multitude of maps here give the player more intensive rhythm practice, and if you can just get over the barrier that is the precision you need for a 300 on the DS, you're pretty much made. In reverse, however, it seems to obviously be a different story.
ThePassingShadow
Buy a Kai.

I mean tablet.

Then it will be similar to Ouendan.