forum

Shimmering spots while playing.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
An64fan
Very weird. It doesn't happen very often, although, from time to time, this weird thing will appear and look like a shimmer for a brief moment and then disappear. I have had this happen more often on some maps and not at all on most. Looks a little like a bunch of the Elite Beat Osu! starts in a clutter or something. And...shimmering. Yeah...

One thing that's always consistent is that it always appears about two thirds down and a bit under halfway to the right on the screen.

I have no idea if it's intentional. I'd take a screenshot but it happens so infrequently and I'm not sure if it'd show up on a replay.

YoshiKart
I think that's just star2.png from the skin suddenly jerking from the stars coming out of the cursor, going to a point on the screen, and spinning/fading without changing positions... >_>

Don't know what to say. :P
Topic Starter
An64fan
Sorry.

This is during the middle of gameplay, meaning, when stars aren't coming from your cursor. And it happens with both the original and EBO skins, looking the same.

I'm not the only one who gets this, am I?

Echo
Can you try to get a screenie?
Topic Starter
An64fan
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
YoshiKart
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
YoshiKart
I think I know where it comes from.

This is how the glitch works. When a song starts (before the screen is even fading in), the position of the cursor is marked internally, and the shimmering of a star appears at the original spot of the cursor if the cursor, after about one to two seconds, drifts away from the original spot significantly, like at least 1/4 the width of the screen.

In the screenshot, it looks like the shimmering star is connected to the trail. It has the same behavior of all the other stars, except it's not affected by "gravity" (ex. it's spinning, but not falling), and it is very delayed; if it was that far behind the trail, it should've been gone by now.

It should be the exact the same thing with any other skin. Whatever type of star they use, it'll still shimmer like that.

Topic Starter
An64fan
YoshiKart
Are you sure that glittering spot isn't "star2.png" from the EBO skin?
Topic Starter
An64fan
I don't THINK it is, but it's happened with both the EBO and original skins (I usually use the original).

EDIT: I have conformation that this doesn't show up on replays. :|

EDIT again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orfI2LEQVc0

I caught it on video by subjecting myself to lag and recording every play I did. It happened right near the start of the map. Has been happening a lot today.

It's usually around twice the size of that, but near where that was. Today it's been varying in size and position. This USUALLY happens between 1/3 and 3/4 through a map when it does happen. And it happens whether I'm using the EBO skin or not.
Kiwi697
I think the shimmering is because of the stars that appear during breaks or before the song begins.
In the video, the starts appear where the mouse was at the beginning of the song.
I think it's happened to me right after a break.