forum

Display the lyrics as the song plays?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Aliento
Long, long before I ever played or heard of Osu!, I once thought "Hey, it sure would be neat if the lyrics to the song displayed on the top screen as I played!"

You could just have entire sentences display as you play the song, or could get even more technical (and perhaps excessive) and do an old-school disney-show-tune-esque thing where a ball bounces on the words as the syllables are pronounced. Or maybe just highlight the syllables.

I know this isn't the most interesting or practical feature, but I do like to know the lyrics to songs I like. Perhaps one day when Peppy runs out of important stuff to add, we could have such a feature? Obviously, more important stuff takes a priority. I don't know, just thought I'd toss in my two cents.
eyup
osu-oke! But isn't the point of the game to concentrate on the notes, not the lyrics? :D

If you're talented enough to tap to the beats and sing at the same time, you really should be in a band or something rather than wasting your time playing osu! :mrgreen:
peppy
Of course, the easy alternative is to sync a video in the background with the karaoke subtitles on it. I think this would be my preference, rather than creating a whole new editor for lyrics.
awp
Here's your editor: Notepad! As unimportant as it is, if you just made certain guidelines/formats for a song (what time the ball will strike this word, when does this caption end? etc) people could do it in notepad and save it as a .osl or something. Though this isn't entirely useful, as some songs don't even have lyrics @_@
Gilrad
I would think that this would be an eventuality once storyboard mode comes in, as I would expect some sort of text event type somewhere in there.
[deleted user]

peppy wrote:

rather than creating a whole new editor for lyrics.

awp wrote:

Here's your editor: Notepad! As unimportant as it is, if you just made certain guidelines/formats for a song (what time the ball will strike this word, when does this caption end? etc) people could do it in notepad and save it as a .osl or something. Though this isn't entirely useful, as some songs don't even have lyrics @_@
awp has the right idea, sort of. But you don't need to create a separate format for it, as there's already an existing .lrc format. .lrc is supported by Stepmania, and supported by mp3 and media players via MiniLyrics.

Gilrad wrote:

I would think that this would be an eventuality once storyboard mode comes in, as I would expect some sort of text event type somewhere in there.
Yes and no. Frankly text in storyboards should be done with graphics, not with some sort of separate text events.
Cecilthemos
This was how DDR was done when it first came out, I really liked it that way, I completely agree with this!