forum

Language File

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Olinad
Hi!
I'd just like to have a Language file in Osu!, so that it can be edited with the skin. It would be beautiful to have Osu! in as many languages as possible, it would help spreading it!
FurukawaPan
I'd expand on that idea to suggest some sort of string-table text file based means of supporting multiple languages in osu! Actual graphics are necessary for the buttons though (I always use Ouendan 2.7 because I get my menus in 日本語!) So custom skins for those extra languages would be essential.

As far as song titles are concerned, we currently have a problem where Japanese titles must be printed in romaji only. Ideally, people would be able to put multiple language strings into the beatmaps they create, so that if a user had their Osu! set to display a certain foreign language, and a matching foreign language string/title were available in that file, it would show that in the menu. The same in reverse -> People who have selected English as their language would see a romaji or English title. The "default" language title should probably stick to 7-bit ASCII (for compatibility), but any other language UTF-8. That way..

well, I'm rambling, but you get the idea. I'm a Japanese nut, so I'd enjoy such a feature. :)
Echo
viewtopic.php?t=2918

You're looking at "internationalisation".
Topic Starter
Olinad

Echo wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2918

You're looking at "internationalisation".
Yes I know and I voted in that topic, but I'm still waiting... and I think this feature is more important than any "Fruity" game mode (even if I love it).

peppy
I really don't see the importance, myself. Everything should be self-explanatory to the point it doesn't need to be in other languages (apart from say... the BSS dialog?)
Topic Starter
Olinad

peppy wrote:

I really don't see the importance, myself. Everything should be self-explanatory to the point it doesn't need to be in other languages (apart from say... the BSS dialog?)
The problem is that it's not self explanatory. Not for people that has never heard of ouendan or Elite Beat Agents, that aren't as famous in Europe as they are in, I dunno, japan or USA or even Australia (Maybe).
And also, a lot of people don't know a word of english, or even if they do they'll be more likely ging to play a game with a translation in their own language.

In the end, I only asked this for Osu!'s sake, if you really think it's not necessary then just say it... I'll keep playing Osu! as anyone else in here will do, english isn't a problem for me to understand (maybe a bit less to write, but if you can understand me I'd say it's all right).
peppy
It'll be a pretty big project to bring osu! into a state which can be internationalised. I'd say as big as OpenGL was.

Download: Nico Nico Douga - Bad apple-daijoubu da (railgunX) [xo3au3284bp6's Insane].osu
Topic Starter
Olinad

peppy wrote:

It'll be a pretty big project to bring osu! into a state which can be internationalised. I'd say as big as OpenGL was.
I suppose it's just about want you want Osu! to become... I hope try to do this someday :D