forum

Distance Snap Rounding Error: Test Case

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mm201
This has been discussed in IRC, so I know I'm not the first one to have encountered this. Nonetheless, I have prepared a test case which should make the issue quite obvious.

The bug is that the editor doesn't perform symmetrical rounding when calculating how far apart a snapped note ought to be placed on the grid. It always rounds to the left/top, causing patterns moving from left to right or from top to bottom to be spaced more narrowly than the opposite.

I have included an example demonstrating this bug:
Download: Peter Lambert - osu! tutorial (peppy) [Distance snap bug].osu

It uses the osu! tutorial, which everyone should have. I used a constant 0.5x distance snap (Edit: And the highest grid level) for the entire thing, whereas the bottom 4 notes (moving from left to right) are spaced more narrowly than those above.

Simply, the way it currently works, the top left corner of the field is considered zero for rounding calculations, whereas the note being snapped to ought to be considered zero for rounding.
Rolled
Turn off grid snap ^^
Topic Starter
mm201
Thanks, but spacing by hand is working for me (pressing Alt for an idea of where the note should go), and I like being able to make straight lines & symmetrical patterns. :)

And this is still a bug. :P

Download: fripSide - closest love (saymun) [dk's Love].osu